Carousel Project- Kozelek, Molina, and Volcano Choir one offs-

The dude sent me an email today asking me to please stop "bashing" the campaign publicly, but he still has been unable to issue a refund.

Does that mean the dude is on this forum and reading this thread? Well, this would be the right place to give all your supporters an update. 

• 2 months later...

Yeah, this whole thing is a mess. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because shit happens and it takes time to sort stuff out (there could even be legal stuff for all we know - and they can't comment on it). And i'm sure its made even harder when the campaign was basically a flop. I get the impression they are sincere about rewarding the contributors, but they should be a little more communicative.  

I hope they follow through with at least the music portions even if they have to stray from the variant colors or whatever. Or hopefully they just press the original quantities and sell online the rest to make more money for the campaign. 

We hope this email finds everybody doing well.

Unfortunately, this project is taking much longer than we had anticipated. There were many delays that were unforeseen and much red tape that we are still navigating through. The good news is that Project Carousel is definitely moving forward and when all is said and done, it will be an amazing project. The bad news is that it will be some time before the project is completed. The project will also be different than what we had originally thought it was going to be, and not every artist will be involved - and there will be new artists involved as well.

Realistically, we are probably 1-2 months ways from being able to announce what the final project will be at this point and what artists will be involved - old and new. And from there, we are looking at being able to announce when it will actually be completed and ready to release.

As mentioned in our recent email updates, this project is a labor of love and we appreciate your support. We would be most grateful for those of you that want to stay in on this - for those that do:

1. All indiegogo backers will receive additional perks for hanging on with us through these delays.

2. We will also be sending out an extra vinyl gift to all backers from Shorebird within the next few weeks.

For those of you that do not want to stay in, please email me directly with your info and pledge and I will contact you about a refund. If you have any questions that I can answer at any time, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks again and we apologize again for these delays.

Part of my problem with this all along is that I don't really think anyone who pledged actually cared about the restoration of an old carousel. in fact, I give to a few charities, and none of them ever have to do with fixing circus shit that isn't even in my country. Honestly, even if this was a benefit for TBA I'd be more into it...

Yeah, let's be honest. When I saw this come up, it was basically a "crowd fund this Carousel-inspired Mark Kozelek record" campaign.

I almost get the feeling that they're delaying longer with the intended effect being that people voluntarily back out instead of hanging on. I wonder how many of the original orders have already been refunded.

Good luck getting a refund. It took me 2 months of constant contact by email and harassment by twitter and facebook for the guy to refund me. And there are many others out there who have asked for refunds and not received them. If you really want to get this guy's attention tweet to @weareshorebird asking about your money and include @secretlycndian and @thebedouin and @indiegogo. He hates that.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, someone on the official Molina forum got this response from Shorebird yesterday:

Hi. I am waiting on management / legal to approve our final update (I can't send without their approval) - which should go up early next week (and all and any refunds will follow). Thanks for your patience. I wish I could do more right now but I've been waiting as well. 

The organizers have missed these soft deadlines ("update coming next week!") throughout the project, so I don't think we should get our hopes up. But, hey, it's something!

For what it's worth, someone on the official Molina forum got this response from Shorebird yesterday:

The organizers have missed these soft deadlines ("update coming next week!") throughout the project, so I don't think we should get our hopes up. But, hey, it's something!

The dude used that line on me multiple times months ago when I was trying to get a refund. There is only one dude left on this project, David Silva, and he is 100% full of shit.

Having worked in mailorder before, I've tried my absolute hardest to have sympathy for this situation--this guy didn't get anywhere close to the money he was looking for, and he's still trying to get the product into people's hands. It certainly seems like he hasn't had much experience with a release of this magnitude or with dealing with such rabid fanbases, and things haven't gone according to plan. In the end, it was only $50 that I sent his way, and that's not going to make or break me--I'll either get the records I ordered (someday) or I'll get a refund (someday)--it'll all come out in the wash in the end. 

I felt for the guy at first since he obviously bit off way more than he could chew, but it's hard to have sympathy when he's completely fumbled the project at every turn. At this point, it feels like he's just lying low and coming up with different stopgaps to buy himself more time since he knows nobody really has any recourse here, Indiegogo doesn't care -- they already got their cut -- and the longer he can string everyone along, the more people will forget about it or just get tired of chasing him. His failure to respond to people and the vanishing act "Shorebird" has pulled on all its social media accounts doesn't look great either.