Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

40 minutes ago, shamrocks said:

lol i mean shoegaze as a genre is built on essentially 2.5 tracks, and all music is stolen anyway so this isnt that wild

I'm with you on this.

Yeah...seems like homie is hung up on some semantic stuff here. Like, if she'd been fully forthright and credited the producer would they still be upset? And it sounds like the issue is only with her "best" track.

Rappers constantly buy already made tracks and put their lyrics over them, is that also not "real" music?

Tons of pop artists have someone else write for them and are popular/easy to listen to or other bands have only one songwriter in the group and the rest of the band just plays their songs.

I just don't have the bandwidth to get upset over this kind of stuff.

thats cool and all but youre about 40 years too late on that. i havent listened to the track but i bet it sounds like most SG which makes half the people on here dizzy and the other half angry

some of the best music of this century has been made with a keyboard and a hard drive

(edit: not even that kind of keyboard)

Edited by shamrocks

I enjoyed the Wisp ep the few times I've listened to it, and knowing that these are 'collaborations' with her vocals and other bands' instrumentations doesn't so much hamper me liking the sound of it, but it would at least make me hesitant about going to a show, not knowing if there would be any sort of cohesive band. It would also halt a blind buy of her future music, as she tries to actually learn to play instruments - which she said she is now doing. Who knows if she'll live up to the hype and praise she's being given or will justify some people's distain. Time will tell. 

Edited by Mars

On 4/16/2024 at 7:14 PM, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

I'm with you on this.

Yeah...seems like homie is hung up on some semantic stuff here. Like, if she'd been fully forthright and credited the producer would they still be upset? And it sounds like the issue is only with her "best" track.

Rappers constantly buy already made tracks and put their lyrics over them, is that also not "real" music?

Tons of pop artists have someone else write for them and are popular/easy to listen to or other bands have only one songwriter in the group and the rest of the band just plays their songs.

I just don't have the bandwidth to get upset over this kind of stuff.

I wouldn't say I'm upset, but I don't have the bandwidth for people who don't create their own shit. I'd rather put my effort and money into finding an artist who wasn't looking for shortcuts.

12 hours ago, tonyfranciosa said:

I wouldn't say I'm upset, but I don't have the bandwidth for people who don't create their own shit. I'd rather put my effort and money into finding an artist who wasn't looking for shortcuts.

It took me a long time to realize not everyone makes an emotional connection when listening to music. Stuff like this just sounds like aural plastic... humans made it but nothing is there.