Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

if anyone was unaware of this fucking ripping album, listen here! 

Warm Graves

DRDS89 & Juan

this is up your alley!! 

(a little post-rock, but def in the shoegaze experimental side of rock) this album is killer start to finish...

That was a really great listen - like you listed -- all of those elements above with the chorus-like vocals - I would have been at a  loss to classify. Thanks for the recommendation, nelso!

Man, a ton of other stuff got listed and so many records to clean from this week's deliveries...

93mmfts new one out: "Fall Into Nothing"   Looks like they did this one themselves and no mention of vinyl but ltd run of CDs.

https://93millionmilesfromthesunofficial.bandcamp.com/album/fall-into-nothing

Interview here:

http://bigtakeover.com/interviews/an-interview-with-nick-noble-of-93millionmilesfromthesun

I've been digging "Taffy", thanks for the suggestion. It'll probably cost a bit to import it all from the UK, but should be worth it.

So. I went a little bananas and picked Taffy's entire discography from Club AC30. Yes, it came out pretty pricey considering it's from the UK, but I will say that they were great. I contacted them asking if a bundle deal or something could be worked out since I wanted to get all. They hooked me up with a discount code and now:

DSCN5346.jpg

Eternal Summers. I think from Virginia Don.

enough shoegaze pieces to be categorized IMHO

https://eternalsummers.bandcamp.com/album/the-drop-beneath(vinyl too)

https://eternalsummers.bandcamp.com/album/correct-behavior(vinyl as well)

Thanks, Charlie - look forward to the long weekend to check these out!

Flyying Colours new EP - thankfully they included the former single "Not Today" as track 3, great song. US /300 Ruby PinkFlyying%20Colours%20ROYGBIVa.jpg

Flyying%20Colours%20ROYGBIV%20collage.jp

Any fans of Marriages in here? I'm listening to their newest, Salome, right now. Good stuff. 

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/109746-now-marriages-salome-292015-clear-vinyl-sargent-house/?hl=salome

Kitsune was more shoegazey (with some psych, postrock, & several other genres in there) to me than Salome.  

Love everything ERR has been involved in. Her vocals on Salome seem to hearken back to The Nocturnes: 'A Year Of Spring' .

My personal favorite is Aokigahara which is a dreamy folk-gaze album - and she uses about 5 different vocal styles on that one, accompanied by male vocals on many tracks.  My most treasured gem that no one wants to talk about.

This will be somewhat off-topic but not really. At least it's not specific to any one release or band. Just a general question I'd like to pose to y'all. 

What is it about shoegaze/dreampop/noise that draws you in? What is it about that style of music and sound that has you hooked and why? What are your reasons for being into this type of music?

(I'll answer that question myself soon enough...just wanted to put it out there for now.)

This will be somewhat off-topic but not really. At least it's not specific to any one release or band. Just a general question I'd like to pose to y'all. 

What is it about shoegaze/dreampop/noise that draws you in? What is it about that style of music and sound that has you hooked and why? What are your reasons for being into this type of music?

(I'll answer that question myself soon enough...just wanted to put it out there for now.)

my short answer: There's something ethereal about each band whether its heavy, noisy, dreamy that gives me this feeling of just "floating" through life in such a way that I can't think of anything else at that moment except the art that goes into such good music

Shoegaze:  I love that it's mellow music (obviously not all of it) that you can play extremely loud.  And I love the atmospheric vibe of it.

I've always been a fan of the "wall of sound" approach to music, going all the way back to Phil Spector, and shoegaze is just a natural extension of that. I love the combination of loud distorted guitars and soaring female vocals... but there's part of it that's just appealing in an emotional way that's not describable and very personal for everyone.

I've always been a fan of the "wall of sound" approach to music, going all the way back to Phil Spector, and shoegaze is just a natural extension of that. I love the combination of loud distorted guitars and soaring female vocals... but there's part of it that's just appealing in an emotional way that's not describable and very personal for everyone.

Very nice. Check out twin limb from Louisville,KY. :] 

re: shoegaze what tony said above re: the wall of sound with guitars in front and the vocals in the background - especially if unintelligible (keeps my mind off the lyrics, which wants to analyze). But the lyrics are usually benign and straightforward, which suits the music well.

re: dreampop  for the age 17 I never had, i guess -- hard to put words on  the feelings.

Eternal Summers. I think from Virginia Don.

enough shoegaze pieces to be categorized IMHO

https://eternalsummers.bandcamp.com/album/the-drop-beneath(vinyl too)

https://eternalsummers.bandcamp.com/album/correct-behavior(vinyl as well)

good stuff and out of Roanoke of all places - looked back and i checked them out a couple of years ago, forgot all about them.

Thanks for the rec, once again!  Charlie is a gold miner of great music in so many genres!