Springsteen Remastered Box Set

Do I hear $50? I know that it wasn't actually going to end up being $50, but unless these are insanely improved I don't see much point in getting these when I own all of them on vinyl already. Not to mention, they are all pretty easily found for $5-$10 a piece. Vol. 2 will be a different story...

• 1 month later...

The Backstreets fansite has a writeup/interview with Bob Ludwig about the mastering process HERE. Here's a particularly promising paragraph:

Other albums already released digitally as part of the Mastered for iTunes series — including We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, Working on a Dream, and Wrecking Ball — are, of course, not part of this set. But the fact that they've already been remastered in 24-bit suggests (as does the Vol. 1 in the title of this new box set) that we can anticipate another wave further on up the road. Asked if that's the plan, Ludwig is direct: "Yes. I have already started on the remainder of the catalog. But those albums were mixed to digital, so it is more a matter of finessing the original to retain the intent while improving the fidelity and creating 24-bit final masters."

So yeah, Volume 2. Someday.

My issue with vintage Springsteen vinyl is that Columbia (and Bruce's own camp) just didn't take that much care with the pressings. I actually picked up a SEALED copy of Nebraska recently... and it was STILL noisy. Not terribly so, but that shows you that these weren't top-quality pressings back in the day.

Tunnel Of Love (not in this set) actually sounds amazing on vinyl, even though it's far from my favorite Bruce album. They did that one right. The first two sound decent, ditto BITUSA (aside from that 80s production). BTR has always sounded muddy to me (although the rare first pressings supposedly sound much better). Darkness is good but not a sonic marvel, and The River is VERY trebly. (Although way better than the current CD.) And I mentioned Nebraska.

So basically, if the reviews come in and these new masterings trump the OPs (unlikely, but you never know), I might have to lighten my wallet. But otherwise...

No matter how many remasters are done, Nebraska will always be "noisy."  It was recorded in Springsteen's kitchen on a Tascam four track recorder.  Even though it went through the major label ringer, there is no possible way of pulling out the hiss and hums that were pulled out of a house, versus recording in a sound-proofed studio.  

• 2 weeks later...

This is now down to £108 on Amazon UK. Not an amazing price, but better than it was (£150).

I would pick this up but I'm not desperate for it, and am hoping it'll drop more. If it hits £85 I think I'll bite. Around £12 an album wouldn't be too bad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NVI90JK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_on1Eub1D88QE0

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Items: GBP 56.36

Postage & Packing: GBP 3.08

Total before VAT: GBP 59.44

VAT: GBP 0.00

(Order Total: GBP 59.44)

Payment Total: USD 90.23

idk why but it dropped to £56 in my cart after getting to the payment screen.. That is EXTREMELY tempting at only 90 dollars shipped to the us...

I might try to price match this to the us version of Amazon so I can throw some gift cards at it as well.. either way nice to see this slowly dropping to tempting prices now.

Glad this helped a few people out! I've been wanting this for a while but the price was always too high. Looking forward to hearing it for myself.

I realised that when I originally put it in my wish list it was £168!! I can't turn down saving £100 on this, it's a steal at this price tbh.

Just received my copy, haven't spun any of it yet but I've had a look through everything and I'm really impressed by the whole package. The book alone is stupidly high quality. Definitely worth the price.

Really glad I picked this up! Looking forward to sitting down with a couple of whiskeys and giving this the time it deserves.