The Original Cassette Collective Thread

Colloquial Sound Recordings just put up 5 new cassettes : http://www.colloquialsoundrecordings.bigcartel.com/

They're streaming here : http://colloquialsoundrecordings.bandcamp.com/

I'm a little bummed that the A Pregnant Light release is a CD, but more APL is always good.

I am fine with the CD as it's cheaper than tracking down the tapes it compiles at this point. That said... great label.

Hey, I'm starting a label this summer, and anyone have any input on painting blank tapes with nail polish? As long as I keep a thin layer it should play fine right? I was thinking of using like a holographic/glitter polish to lightly coat plain tapes.

That would work but there would def be a texture on the tape.

What kind of bands are you doing?

Hey guys! I figured this would be the best place to ask a question like this.I need some insight on how to get a label started. I've been toying with the idea for a couple of years, but now I actually have motivation. My good friends band is finishing up their first EP and I want to make it my first release on cassette. Where would be a good place to start? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hey guys! I figured this would be the best place to ask a question like this.I need some insight on how to get a label started. I've been toying with the idea for a couple of years, but now I actually have motivation. My good friends band is finishing up their first EP and I want to make it my first release on cassette. Where would be a good place to start? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I recently started one. We do all our tapes DIY. We print the j-cards ourselves and record the tapes ourselves too. You can buy tapes and cases in bulk from sties like duplication.ca or nationalaudiocompany. 

I recently started one. We do all our tapes DIY. We print the j-cards ourselves and record the tapes ourselves too. You can buy tapes and cases in bulk from sties like duplication.ca or nationalaudiocompany. 

Hey man, so do you do any of the legal work associated with traditional labels, or is it just record->dupe->sell->profit lose money

lol, not being a dick i just assume most people starting out aren't really making a lot at least right away.

Off The Ground, I'm pretty sure he was the first act.

My friends in the band Live This Down + others were also there and they only said great things about your band.

I had to work as it was such short notice that my friend would play it.

Dude we are playing with Live This Down next week, come out!

New tape out on No Kings. I dig everything on this label, but the samples for this one have me really looking forward to it!

http://nokingsrecord.co/

tumblr_inline_n3b8puPbnK1qc1yzb.jpg

This is the best album I have bought all year so far. I can't stop listening to it. If you are a fan of any kind of indie rock, you need to check this out!

Lee Noble's description:

The only statement from my old Nashville band with Steve Molyneux, Caleb Steelman, and TJ Richards. It’s the reason No Kings was started, it’s what I think of when I think about Nashville. Desperate songs about city life, apocalypse scenarios, girls, lost friends, car crashes. Steve and I went to Memphis one time and walked past a church that had burnt to the ground in the middle of downtown, a tree out front was swarming with bats… Steve wrote a song about that. So… you know. Post-folk-post-punk. Catchy and bleak. A few CDr’s were handed out; our friend Matt Sullivan’s label Nailbat made 50 tapes in 2008 and said: “having spent years jumping from no wave to folk to tribal experimentation, Meets Gruesome is where all of those sounds co-exist.” I can’t properly illustrate the personal significance. I’ll just say it: best album of the last 10 years. I’m so happy to share it. 100 pro-dubbed imprinted tapes, 2-color risograph, with hand painted fluorescent orange gouache dots.