The Verve - Storm In Heaven (3xLP BOOTLEG)

So I never knew there was a bootleg of this LP! Apparently from a few years back? They recently found a bunch in a warehouse and I picked it up for $45 at my local shop!!!

It has the b-sides and demos on Blue, White and Black vinyl! Haven't spun it yet but sources have stated is sounds BETTER than original!

A shit ton have sold in eBay but looks like there are still few up if anyone is interested!!! It beats paying $150 for an original plus those extra songs make it worth it IMO

This is probably in the top 10 BEST SHOEGAZE RECORDS OF ALL TIME

The color of the vinyl has no impact on the sound quality. It has never been.

That's just not true. I think most people just don't tend to notice. White can be pretty noisy. The glow in the dark records I've pressed have definitely got some noise.

This guide from Gotta Groove is pretty helpful, I know people have posted it a bunch but here it is again:

SOUND CHARACTERISTICS OF VINYL COLORS*

(Surface noise 1= quietest / 8 = noisiest)

1. Standard Black

4. Transparent Colors (Blue, Green, Clear, Gold [orange], Transparent Red, Coke Clear, Fluorescent Colors)

6. Non-Mixed Opaque Colors (Pink, Red, Yellow, Violet, Brown)

7. White

7. Opaque Mix (Mixing opaque and translucent color(s) in particular; and also tend to have visible “staining” after a few hundred records, which can be seen in certain light).

7-8. Random Color / Recycled Color Shades

8. Split Color / Splatter Color / other hand-made colors

8-10. Glow In The Dark / Glitter Records

* Every record runs differently, and generally speaking, the louder the recording the less noticeable any “plastic noise” will be.  Turntables also can track color vinyl differently than black — some people report skips on color copies which do not happen on the same record if pressed on black vinyl (typically on lower-end turntables). Some people say the music itself can sound slightly different on color versions vs black versions of the same record (since the grooves are the same, this likely has more to do with the turntable/cartridge being used).

In any case, there are tons of each of these colors in the marketplace, and many people do not seem to notice/mind the differences.  But, we try to be as up-front as possible in information sharing to help you make the best decision for your project.  If your utmost concern is a very quiet pressing, then you are probably better off pressing black vinyl.  Regardless of color, you can opt to purchase additional stamper sets to have us change them out more frequently — since stampers wear over the course of many pressing cycles, this can help yield a more consistent pressing throughout a production run.  There are also some things that the lacquer cutting engineer can do to help yield a quieter pressing.  Please contact us with any questions.

That's just not true. I think most people just don't tend to notice. White can be pretty noisy. The glow in the dark records I've pressed have definitely got some noise.

This guide from Gotta Groove is pretty helpful, I know people have posted it a bunch but here it is again:

SOUND CHARACTERISTICS OF VINYL COLORS*

(Surface noise 1= quietest / 8 = noisiest)

1. Standard Black

4. Transparent Colors (Blue, Green, Clear, Gold [orange], Transparent Red, Coke Clear, Fluorescent Colors)

6. Non-Mixed Opaque Colors (Pink, Red, Yellow, Violet, Brown)

7. White

7. Opaque Mix (Mixing opaque and translucent color(s) in particular; and also tend to have visible “staining” after a few hundred records, which can be seen in certain light).

7-8. Random Color / Recycled Color Shades

8. Split Color / Splatter Color / other hand-made colors

8-10. Glow In The Dark / Glitter Records

* Every record runs differently, and generally speaking, the louder the recording the less noticeable any “plastic noise” will be.  Turntables also can track color vinyl differently than black — some people report skips on color copies which do not happen on the same record if pressed on black vinyl (typically on lower-end turntables). Some people say the music itself can sound slightly different on color versions vs black versions of the same record (since the grooves are the same, this likely has more to do with the turntable/cartridge being used).

In any case, there are tons of each of these colors in the marketplace, and many people do not seem to notice/mind the differences.  But, we try to be as up-front as possible in information sharing to help you make the best decision for your project.  If your utmost concern is a very quiet pressing, then you are probably better off pressing black vinyl.  Regardless of color, you can opt to purchase additional stamper sets to have us change them out more frequently — since stampers wear over the course of many pressing cycles, this can help yield a more consistent pressing throughout a production run.  There are also some things that the lacquer cutting engineer can do to help yield a quieter pressing.  Please contact us with any questions.

Thanks for the info (no sarcasm this time because this was genuinely helpful).

Okey, as a technical engineer I would say, believe what you want. The list above is just not true. There's no difference between black, red, white or whatsoever color cause black is also colored vinyl. Basic raw material for records is milky clear and color additives make the color.The color doesn't effect the sound. I wish I could go more in detail but English isn't my mother tongue. :P
True is, records with recycled basic material, hand-poured-,glow in the dark-, glitter- records or picture vinyl aren't as good as normal records.
Surface noise comes mostly from shitty and cheap pressing plants. Just hear the last Whirr album.

Okey, as a technical engineer I would say, believe what you want. The list above is just not true. There's no difference between black, red, white or whatsoever color cause black is also colored vinyl. Basic raw material for records is milky clear and color additives make the color.The color doesn't effect the sound. I wish I could go more in detail but English isn't my mother tongue. :P

True is, records with recycled basic material, hand-poured-,glow in the dark-, glitter- records or picture vinyl aren't as good as normal records.

Surface noise comes mostly from shitty and cheap pressing plants. Just hear the last Whirr album.

I've long heard this was true. In fact years ago, I read that white and clear would sometimes be the best sounding records. I really do think it all comes down to the QC of the plant.

It does vary from plant to plant, but I have noticed it. Clear always sounds really great to me. And a lot of the older color records I have from 40+ years ago sound great. Mostly red vinyl for some reason.

QC is probably a bit more difficult to maintain now given that there's no more press manufacturers. The machines are a patchwork of custom machined parts to function.

GZ and Pirates Press made one, but I never really liked their quality. Every once in a while, there's some damn sand on the records. I think I first noticed it on the first pressing of Blacklisted's Heavier Than Heaven.

DRDS89 we;ve talked a bunch my friend (over sigur ros) :)

And I can say that my copy is a little noisy but nothing that distracts too much. It is a bit quite like most boots and it has a little flatness to it. But I can honestly say I am not unhappy with a $45 copy of this, plus all the B-sides and Demos. It is for sure worth it. I heard the OG copy is somewhat flat and can be noisy too! So that being said I don't think the extra $125 is worth it in this rare case...

IF that at all helps. If your like me and its in your top 25 albums of all time, buy it without hesitation! :)

DRDS89 we;ve talked a bunch my friend (over sigur ros) :)

And I can say that my copy is a little noisy but nothing that distracts too much. It is a bit quite like most boots and it has a little flatness to it. But I can honestly say I am not unhappy with a $45 copy of this, plus all the B-sides and Demos. It is for sure worth it. I heard the OG copy is somewhat flat and can be noisy too! So that being said I don't think the extra $125 is worth it in this rare case...

IF that at all helps. If your like me and its in your top 25 albums of all time, buy it without hesitation! :)

Steve, yes, I remember well and believe I keep you #1 on Hospital Ships releases as long as I am in the GFRC!

I like your criterion there for purchasing this record - that's about where I am just about every purchase now as time/space are finite.  Are they in my top ____ list of bands, or is this album going to be keeper/classic/forever potential, like top 25?  

Appreciate your perspective as I am still debating :)