Boys Go To Jupiter, To Get More Stupider.

I think this is important. If you have the support behind what you want to do, that could make all the difference.

i agree.

mine had their minds set from day one on what to do with my life.

and its because of that, we dont exist. totally sucks but i bet that has to be a nice relieving feeling.

I had "college, 9-5 forever, and start a family" shoved down my throat my whole life. I felt like a failure because I just couldn't do school. I slept through high school and community college (with a 4.0) and then when I finally went to four year I just mentally/emotionally couldn't do it. It wasn't hard, the work I did do was always an A. But actually keeping up and going to class was too much for me because of my anxiety and depression.

My mother still makes me feel like a piece of shit for dropping out and pressures me to go back. She also pressures me to be more "normal" so fuck that. College isn't for everyone and I'll probably work garbage jobs until I die, but at least right now I'm happy.

I think this is important. If you have the support behind what you want to do, that could make all the difference.

@Oswald - I'm sorry your parents instilled in you that you could never afford additional education. If that's what you wanted to pursue but didn't.

Wasn't looking for someone to feel sorry for me.  I won't lie I've always been a bit bitter about it, but it is what it is.  Realistically if my parents were the type to try and push me I'd probably be a totally different person and I since I'm pretty fuckin' awesome I wouldn't want that change.

Never too late dude. 

x-plass.jpg

I've actually taken classes at a Technical College while working.  I was actually through all of the degree specific classes when I had to stop going.  At the time the classes conflicted with my job and they were letting me move my schedule but then as one of my punishments for being mean they stopped doing that.  A few years later when there were more online options and I wouldn't need to adjust my work schedule I tried going back but of the 48 credits I had only 12 of them were still valid.  They made changes to the program I was in which invalidated everything I'd already done.  

I know I could have quit my job and finished the degree, but all I had left are the General Education classes and at my school those were the most frusterating things ever.  The classes were dumbed down so much it infuriated me.  I don't know what annoyed me more the Psychology class where we watched two episodes of everybody loves raymond and them spent 15 minutes talking about them every class, or the math class where we spent 1 week on how to use a standard ruler and one week on how to use a metric ruler.  I just would get so pissed I was having to pay money to be taught things I learned in 7th - 10th grade.

Right now I'm debating going for some Certificate courses in Management to open up some longer term options in my current profession, not sure I'd even want to do it, but I should start planning for more options long term.

Wasn't looking for someone to feel sorry for me.  I won't lie I've always been a bit bitter about it, but it is what it is.  Realistically if my parents were the type to try and push me I'd probably be a totally different person and I since I'm pretty fuckin' awesome I wouldn't want that change.

You don't need to be looking for it! It's totally fine.

You do you haha :)

She also pressures me to be more "normal" so fuck that. College isn't for everyone and I'll probably work garbage jobs until I die, but at least right now I'm happy.

I've always loved the Avail (old punk band from the 90's - early 00's) shirt that on the back had

Poor

Ugly

Happy

Money isn't something that I've ever put to much stock in.  Before I do begin I understand that minimum needs do need to be met, and it's easy for me to say I don't value money when I make enough to keep myself full with a roof over my head and money to spend on luxuries.

Basically the way I've always looked at money is that more that I make it's only going to lead me to "needing" and wanting more.  So I'm a simple man with simple needs.  I'll never drive a fancy new Lexus, but I'll always have a car to get me where I need to go.  I'll never have a huge house, but I'll have one that keeps me warm in the winter and cool in summer.  I'll never be going on exotic vacations but I'll always be able to go away for a weekend and have a good time.  So yeah I'll always be poor and ugly, but I'll always be happy.  I do use a broad definition of the words poor ugly happy.

So I guess the only point I'm making is that I guess we are all in agreement.  It's our expectations for our lives that determine what we define as having a decent job.  I am a simple man with simple needs and me not having a college education isn't hindering me at all.  

Whatever you all did is better than me. I went to college and have tons of loans I still need to pay off and I now have a job where I most definitely didn't need a degree to get. So....

But at least I'm happy right?!

Just curious what was your degree in?

All that matters is if your minimum needs are being met and your happy.  Your job strikes me as one of those where the experience is actually part of the pay.  There aren't to many jobs where you get to go and experience so much.  I'd never be able to do what you do, but I do think getting to travel that much would be exciting.

And because I'm curious are there a lot of long term Flight Attendents or is it mostly people doing it for a shorter time for the experience?

Whatever you all did is better than me. I went to college and have tons of loans I still need to pay off and I now have a job where I most definitely didn't need a degree to get. So....

But at least I'm happy right?!

My job doesn't have anything to do with my degree either, but I somehow found a company that doesn't put too much weight in degrees (or certifications).  That's pretty rare. so I think I just lucked out.

I dropped out in the 11th grade after getting kicked out. I eventually got my GED so to be where I am right now I'm overachieving if we were to stereotype.

I'm aiming to go back to school this fall because I'm tired of being subordinate to someone I have more experience than. It's a shame that four years of class work means more than ten years experience.

I always thought I'd be a lawyer one day. It's crazy to see how different my life turned out.

I dropped out in the 11th grade after getting kicked out. I eventually got my GED so to be where I am right now I'm overachieving if we were to stereotype.

I'm aiming to go back to school this fall because I'm tired of being subordinate to someone I have more experience than. It's a shame that four years of class work means more than ten years experience.

I always thought I'd be a lawyer one day. It's crazy to see how different my life turned out.

Sucks to hear about your situation, but glad your doing pretty well for yourself these days.  Hopefully you can do what it takes to start moving up in your career.

Sucks to hear about your situation, but glad your doing pretty well for yourself these days. Hopefully you can do what it takes to start moving up in your career.

I'm proud of myself for making it where I am now but it's rare for me to get further without starting my own business or getting my degree.

My great aunt on the other hand worked at delta for 40 years and retired as an Exec. My grandfather retired as NYC Chief of Sanitation. Both didn't have a degree.