Start with Blue or Clouds, IMO.

I don't love Clouds. Blue is unbeatable, but go for Court and Spark as your second choice. My wife absolutely loves Hissing of Summer Lawns, which is a much more difficult album, but amazing in its own way. Mid 70s Joni begins to get weird, and a but more divisive than her earlier stuff.

Days in the Wake by Palace is a personal favorite of mine as well as Niandra LaDes by Frusciante, although that one is weird as hell and probably not what you are looking for.

The dollar bin thing was only a bonus. Of course I want the ones that are expensive too, but I'd rather spend nothing on 10 albums, than a lot on 1. That's my general mentality. :)

Also, I'm all about weird, but how weird can it get on an album with just acoustic guitar and singing?

These records will do good things to your life

John Moreland- In the Throes

Jason Isbell- Southeastern

Damien Rice- 9

Damien Jurardo- Caught in the Trees

Gregory Alan Isakov- Rust Colored Stones

Justin Vernon- Hazeltons

and shameless self promotion... 

Ronnie Glenn Williams- Wichita

Done some brief listening to some of these albums, and I'm finding some stuff I truly enjoy. Hopefully I'll get through all these artist at some point or another.

I'm actually gonna make a suggestion myself, if anybody else is reading this for suggestions:

Chris Staples

Kristofer Åström - Loupita

Parts of David Curtis stuff

Three that come to mind instantly for me are: Springsteens Nebraska, Micah Schnabel: When The Stage Lights Go Dim, Austin Lucas: Somebody Loves You.

That Lucas album starts good, first track is great. Will listen to it more later.

Keaton Henson - Dear

his other albums are great, but Dear is my personal favorite

Listening to this now, right up my alley. Sounds truly great. Also, he's like 20 days older than me.

I don't love Clouds. Blue is unbeatable, but go for Court and Spark as your second choice. My wife absolutely loves Hissing of Summer Lawns, which is a much more difficult album, but amazing in its own way. Mid 70s Joni begins to get weird, and a but more divisive than her earlier stuff.

Blue sounds good, from what I heard on youtube now. I've got some Mitchell album, Ladies Of The Canyon. If you wanna hear a Swedish version of Both Sides Now, search for Båda Sidor Nu by Håkan Hellström. My favorite solo artist.

These records will do good things to your life

Damien Rice- 9

Is 9 better than O? I've got O and like it a lot.

Josh Ritter

Damien Jurado

Gregory Alan Isakov

Jason Molina

Joe Pug

Iron & Wine

Nathaniel Rateliff

Rocky Votolato 

Richard Buckner

Sun Kil Moon/Mark Kozelek/Red House Painters

Sera Cahoone

On Bandcamp (not all are on vinyl):

Bryan John Appleby

Noah Gundersen

Small Houses

Tyler Lyle

Jay William Henderson

Rosie Thomas

I don't love Clouds. Blue is unbeatable, but go for Court and Spark as your second choice. My wife absolutely loves Hissing of Summer Lawns, which is a much more difficult album, but amazing in its own way. Mid 70s Joni begins to get weird, and a but more divisive than her earlier stuff.[/quote

I'm a big fan of Ladies of the Canyon. Great album.

Keaton Henson again is for those days when Pink Moon feels too upbeat and optimistic!

if you guys like this dude..

I have a bunch more..

Bonnie Prince Billy

Nicolai Dunger - Tranquil Isolation (featuring and produced by Bonnie Prince Billy)

Horse Feathers

Alexi Murdoch

John Fahey 

Daniel Bachman

Nick Jonah Davis
ASS (yes that's his name, swedish amazing multi instrumentalist, backing bad for El Perro Del Marr and a few others)

Which Joni Mitchell record do you recommend?

Blue and Court & Spark are my favorites as well. Don Juan's Reckless Daughter and Mingus are pretty great too, but not really as in line with the acoustic thing, I got into those 2 more cause of the unmatchable bass playing of Jaco Pastorius. Clouds would be another one more like The First 2

My favorite live folk album is Live at Montezuma by the chronically underrated Mickey Newbury and fits this description.  A couple gems that qualify that are not on vinyl are Living with Ghosts by Patty Griffin, Miles from the Lightning by Jeffery Foucault (my favorite modern folk album), and The Brightness by Anais Mitchell.  You should also check out Bad Debt by Hiss Golden Messenger, To the Races by Eric Bachman and any live Townes Van Zandt album.