Quitting Smoking Thread.

The first step I took to quitting was leaving my cigarettes at home when I went to work in the morning. It was really helpful. A huge part of the addiction is the habit of smoking at certain parts of the day. You have to break that habit and realize your entire day will be just fine without cigarettes.

After a while I started smoking less and less in the evenings and eventually reduced myself to only smoking on weekends. Once I was at that point, it was not very difficult to quit completely.

If you have the opportunity, buying loose cigarettes from a bodega is the way to go when you are trying to cut down. Sometimes you just need to have a cigarette, and buying a fresh pack will always, 100 percent of the time lead you right back to heavy use. Maybe consider giving your pack to a close friend to hold for you.

I like these ideas, alot. 15 years is a hell of a habit to break though. But this seems very sensible. My biggest thing would be breaking down and running to the store. That's what I'd have to break first.

But on the plus side - the gas station didn't have lights, so I said fuck it and did ultra lights? That's a good thing right?

From what I understand there is absolutely no benefit to smoking light cigarettes. In fact it's probably worse since people get the false idea that it's not as bad, and end up smoking more. Marketing cigarettes as light is banned in New York for this exact reason. I thought that was a national thing but maybe I'm wrong.

Try making exercise a part of your daily routine if you can. It helped me a lot when I did that. If I smoked at any point in the day before I went to the gym, I was pretty much useless there. 

Yeah, I ask for Camel Lights and gas station attendents are like "What?" I hate saying "blues" instead of lights.

I THINK light and ultra light refers to nicotine content? I could be wrong, but if that's true switching to lights and then ultra lights would be slightly beneficial because you'd be decreasing your nicotine intake.

Yeah, a little less nicotine and tar in lights. You'd smoke more with ultra lights I bet, since it feels like breathing. No throat hit or nicotine satisfaction, at least the time I tried them.

Maybe I should've worded better. Just trying to ween down the nicotine content. When I was 20 or something like that, I was almost successful using this method.

I'm a menthol guy so yes, there's still that small throat hit.

It's not about light or whatever and being "healthier". That's just horseshit.

So. I'm 30 and it's come to that part of my life where I have someone whom I love and has given me a reason to quit. Plus eating up money and so on and so forth.

I'm preparing myself for this in the only way I know and that's in baby steps. I've stopped smoking in the house, and have switched over to lights. Next week it's to ultra lights and then, the patch. I can't do cold turkey. Tried and failed miserably. It's been 15 years so I've got a feeling it's gonna be rough.

Anyway - figured this could be a spot to get/give advice if anyone has successfully kicked it. What worked for you, and all that bullshit.

Over and out.

Satan.

Smoked for twenty years, at one point two packs a day, and they only thing that worked was cold turkey. It has been a few years and I still get cravings and still want to smoke but I'm always glad I didn't. Good luck.

Yeah, I ask for Camel Lights and gas station attendents are like "What?" I hate saying "blues" instead of lights.

Fuck that. They know what lights means. I used to hate that shit.

I smoked from 16 till I was 24. Quit cold turkey last year after a bad case of the flu. I crave them all the time. But I smoke one every few months or so. I also smoke spliffs every day. So that helps too. Nothing beats not spending the 6 bucks on a pack every day though. And running. That's easier too.

This thread holds some really helpful advice. I'll bookmark it till my 30th birthday, 'cause I'm in the club of saying that I'll quit then for many years now. I think it's gonna be really fucking harsh, because I'm so much a creature of habit. I always went outside for smoking, so maybe that at least is gonna help a bit. Maybe quitting is easier during the winter months?

My biggest problem I'll have to face: I fucking love smoking.

Fuck that. They know what lights means. I used to hate that shit.

I smoked from 16 till I was 24. Quit cold turkey last year after a bad case of the flu. I crave them all the time. But I smoke one every few months or so. I also smoke spliffs every day. So that helps too. Nothing beats not spending the 6 bucks on a pack every day though. And running. That's easier too.

A lot of the time it's like 16-19 year old kids working the register. Then I realize the change from light to blue happened so long ago that they were probably too young to know anything about cigarettes at the time.

A lot of the time it's like 16-19 year old kids working the register. Then I realize the change from light to blue happened so long ago that they were probably too young to know anything about cigarettes at the time.

I've always smoked American Spirits, which always went by colors, but I've seen the frustrating my friends face with that with other cigarettes.

Update.

As of a half hour ago, I went my first 24 hour period in FIFTEEN YEARS without smoking.

There was a pack laying around and it took almost a week to get through it while wearing the patch. My girlfriend put the first patch on, she watched me smoke the last one. Full circle.

Congrats dude!

Congrats man.

I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested more than once but I'd recommend you try vaping if cold turkey doesn't work. It definitely works. You can start with a nic level around where you're at now and ween yourself down to nothing and stop or just keep vaping if you're interested.

There is no doubt that it's safer than smoking but I don't know if it can be said it's completely safe and there hasn't been enough testing to say that. I personally really enjoy vaping and do it as kind of a hobby

So. I'm 30 and it's come to that part of my life where I have someone whom I love and has given me a reason to quit. Plus eating up money and so on and so forth.

I'm preparing myself for this in the only way I know and that's in baby steps. I've stopped smoking in the house, and have switched over to lights. Next week it's to ultra lights and then, the patch. I can't do cold turkey. Tried and failed miserably. It's been 15 years so I've got a feeling it's gonna be rough.

Anyway - figured this could be a spot to get/give advice if anyone has successfully kicked it. What worked for you, and all that bullshit.

Over and out.

Satan.

I quit cigs back in '08/'09 so it's been about 6 and a half years now... few years back I wrote a huge writeup on it, I think in the e-cig thread... lemme see if I can find it, then I'll copy/paste... too lazy to add or alter anything at this point, although I'm sure I've got a few new insights, or ones that I just forgot to include the first time.

*edit* after searching I can't find it, so it must've been in another thread... sorry, maybe if I'm feeling up to it I'll type up something similar again... my first point of advice would be to keep stretching them out further and further until your distaste for them grows.  If the cigarette ever feels too large between your fingers, or like it doesn't fit in your fingers the way it did before, don't light up, that's the mental addiction losing its grip.

Welp, today I found out what a BIG trigger is. Not alcohol. Not stress. But worrying.

I was 72 hours smoke free. Found some guy and bummed one. Didn't buy a pack. Smoked one now I'm on the couch with a beer. That craving was fucking unreal and hated every last bit of it.

Any tips on how/what to get through that? I took an hour long walk and that didn't do it.

I've fucked up the past few weeks and have been bumming one or two after almost a year without one, but I bought a pack today. Fuck! Satan, we need help!! My rationalization is that the cost and shitty feeling from the pack I bought won't make me buy another. Satan, the only thing that takes the edge off for me is the lozenges. Are you still doing the patch?

Back in high school, I was a "cool kid" that partied all the time and amassed quite the smoking habit (as well as a daily drinking habit that ended up really fucking me up).  I was up to a pack and a half a day before I could even legally purchase them.  About three-four years into my addiction, having wanted to quit for a long while before, I was sitting on my friend's porch when I looked at the burning ember halfway down the cigarette and decided that it would be the last drag I ever took.  I quit smoking, cold turkey, without finishing the cigarette or the pack it came with.

Occasionally I would bum a cigarette at a party to share some conversation with people, but I never took smoking back up until recently.  I had been going through a tough time - the end of a seven year relationship - and smoking was an easy way to cope.  Soon enough, I was smoking nearly a pack a day.  But this time I could see that it wasn't good for me, so I refused to buy another pack.  It's been three days without a cigarette and I think I can go the rest of my life without.  I think.

arent the ecigs and all those cigarette replacements found to be more harmful than cigarettes?

as a person who's been in that industry for almost 3 years, i can feasibly say "No". what you read isn't always the truth. there have been so many studies about how they are more harmful only to be debunked (with science not opinions). there is no combustion and the ingredients are already in your daily foods (including the nic to a degree)

personally, they got me off of cigarettes. i haven't had one. i've come to ween myself off the nicotine to a point of 0. i don't even vape when I'm home.  it's been almost 3 years and i can breath regularly, haven't had bronchitis in 2 1/2 years. only time i'm effected is by allergies. it also curbs my sweet tooth. i don't eat as many sweets anymore. i've tried quitting 3 times over 27 years and the longest i made it was 8 month. the others were a month or so. but that's my experience though.