PO Now: Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet: Jason Isbell has a new one out in a few weeks (July 17). I've been obsessed with a lot of his music over the last year, and I'm really excited to hear this one. Tremendous songwriter and singer.

http://jasonisbell.portmerch.com/stores/product.php?productid=19569&cat=359&page=1

There is a indie store exlusive with a slipmat being sold as well for this release, I havent found any info on the web if it's just the regular album with a slipmat or if it will be similar to the other indie exclusives theyve done with special art or colored wax and a slipmat.

I've been curious about this, too...wonder how we can obtain an answer?

Chris from Bullmoose might have an idea on it. I know his last album had a special "bootleg" edition when it first came out with a different cover.

I'm curious about this album. I have loved Isbell's work since I heard Decoration Day and he is an amazing player and writer but I feel like a lot of people will be let down because it wont be Southeastern Pt.2.  The fact that it is also around $30 bums me out as well.

Love Jason Isbell! Southeastern is one of my favorite records of the last few years. I actually got curious last night to see if it had leaked, and it has. The new record is incredibly solid. I was afraid that Southeastern was so good that it would be too hard to create a worthy follow-up, but he totally did. I preordered the record, and can't wait to see him play in Brooklyn next month at Prospect Park!

There is a indie store exlusive with a slipmat being sold as well for this release, I havent found any info on the web if it's just the regular album with a slipmat or if it will be similar to the other indie exclusives theyve done with special art or colored wax and a slipmat.

Chris from Bullmoose might have an idea on it. I know his last album had a special "bootleg" edition when it first came out with a different cover.

I'm curious about this album. I have loved Isbell's work since I heard Decoration Day and he is an amazing player and writer but I feel like a lot of people will be let down because it wont be Southeastern Pt.2.  The fact that it is also around $30 bums me out as well.

I'm 99% sure it's black vinyl. The slipmat is the only difference between the indie version and the standard version. 

I'm 99% sure it's black vinyl. The slipmat is the only difference between the indie version and the standard version. 

Thanks for the answer man. I ordered the indie version from B.M. Missing out on the bootleg Southeastern is one of my bigger regrets the last few years in regards to records.

Thanks for the answer man. I ordered the indie version from B.M. Missing out on the bootleg Southeastern is one of my bigger regrets the last few years in regards to records.

Thank you for your order!

Too bad about Southeastern. I think future indie exclusives and bootlegs will be easier to come by than they were two years ago. They are more of a thing now, so it seems that quantities are increasing. 

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great album, and one I would strongly consider buying on vinyl, however the standard version of this is a 2xLP at 33 RPM (not 45 RPM), which doesn't make any sense to me for 11 songs totaling 43:55. So is there actually a single LP version of this album? Discogs seems to think the indie store exclusive is, but I'm not sure that's accurate. Anyone know?

Picked this up and really enjoyed it. It isn't Southeastern 2, and I am glad for that. It still has some great songs on it, and is another great album by Isbell. I do wish that it had a bit more of his rock side, when you see him live he puts a harder edge to the songs and it would have been cool to have him do a few of those on this album.

This is a great album, and one I would strongly consider buying on vinyl, however the standard version of this is a 2xLP at 33 RPM (not 45 RPM), which doesn't make any sense to me for 11 songs totaling 43:55. So is there actually a single LP version of this album? Discogs seems to think the indie store exclusive is, but I'm not sure that's accurate. Anyone know?

Indie version is a 2xlp. Nice package and the records sound great.

• 1 month later...

Pop Market has Something More Than Free, Southeastern, Live From Alabama & Here We Rest (with bonus 7") for $59.99 and free shipping. Works out to approx $15 each

http://www.popmarket.com/details/117608335?feature_id=117608132

Might be the best value collection in a litlte while - everybody should own all of these.

My disdain is more from a musical standpoint than a lyrical one. He is a tremendous songwriter. No question.

Been a fan of his for over a decade. Saw him with the Truckers a handful of times in addition to the myriad post-DBT solo/400 Unit shows.

Some of the best rock shows I ever went to were 400 Unit shows, right after he was dismissed from DBT, and was playing to 40 people in sweaty rock clubs. He still had something to prove. Those shows were raw and loud and raucous and just kicked major ass. This new leaf he has turned is admirable, especially with his sobriety and new family life, but it is certainly not the Jason Isbell I know and love from a musical standpoint.

I'm also in the camp that thought Southeastern was GOOD but not GREAT, mostly due to the reasons above.

There are some good songs though - Children of Children is a nice ode to his mother and I really like To A Band I Loved as a wonderful tribute to the almighty and sadly defunct Centro-matic.

But his live show is formulaic and predictable at this point (or at least the last 3 shows I saw were - I've skipped seeing him in the area the last couple times because of this).

However like I said above, he is a tremendous songwriter. The talent is undeniable, and I will continue to purchase his records.

The older stuff is pretty hard to find now, no? I have the new one, Southeastern (both pink and bootleg), Here We Rest and Live in Alabama. Need the others. Are they even available?

• 2 months later...