PO Now: Sigur Ros "Takk" Repress

Noticed this on the site:

"WE DO OUR BEST TO ASSURE THAT YOUR VINYL REACHES YOU IN THE BEST POSSIBLE CONDITION, BUT GIVEN THE FACT THESE ARE BEING HANDLED AND TRANSPORTED WORLDWIDE SMALL CORNER DINGS AND MINOR SEAM SPLITS MAY OCCASIONALLY OCCUR. IF YOU'RE A COLLECTOR WHO REQUIRES MINT CONDITION WE RECOMMEND PICKING UP OUR RELEASES FROM YOUR LOCAL RECORD STORE."

Fair enough, and at least they're being open about it, but still pretty lame considering, in my experience, the vast majority of distributors\labels\bands also ship worldwide with adequate protection and no-brainers like shipping vinyl outside of the sleeves etc. If I was getting complaints about dings and splits from customers I'd improve my packaging.

Hell, all my KGatLW LPs from Flightless arrived from Australia in pizza boxes completely mint; it's really not that hard.

Again, now the band themselves are urging you to talk to your Local Indepdent Record Store..

Been calling every week! Still not showing up in Canadian systems. I already ordered from the band site, but all this packaging talk has me worried. If I could secure a copy of this from a brick and mortar here in Toronto, I'd definitely get it from them.

Canadian stores aren't getting screwed. To secure distribution rights for the U.S. costs X amount to secure distribution rights for North America costs X more.....the group/Distro that signed the deal had X amount of money to work with....they're purpose is also to keep Independent Record Stores alive because they feel it's important...because they feel music is important. In order to keep the production cost lower an order for X amount had to be placed....it is a balancing act between distribution rights and not having a ton of unsold product eating up space and tying up capital for future projects/endeavors. Any large enough entity inside the country of Canada with enough capital could've easily secured an exclusive Distro deal for the Country of Canada or for North America as well. This is just how the cookie crumbled this time. Nobody is holding out on Canada....it's a sign contract that the group/Distro can't afford to be in breach of.

Australia....if Rocket Distro could order from the group/Distro the price would indeed end up being that high. The product is being manufactured in Europe (I believe), shipped to the U.S. Distro, would then be repacked and shipped to Rocket Distro in Australia and then Distributed to a local Independent Record Store......a whole lot of shipping and handling expenses add up when you're shipping heavy and fragile items around the globe....

... yeah so what I said.. Canadian stores (customers) are getting screwed because of the cost of licensing the distribution.  potato.. potatoe.

I would have much rather bought my from local Mom and Pop shop, but instead I had to order from the states.  Not the end of the world for me but it sure doesnt do my local indie store any favours.

I get why and its nothing new.... it sucks, for everyone north of the border.