VC coop final list announced

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

see flood is bringing the kind of defensive bullshit that justifies why i think everyone that has a share is too busy cupping virgil's balls to take any sort of criticism.

i realize that not every record up there is pop punk, but if you honestly belive that that list is in any way diverse, then you need to start listening to more music.

and most of you are repeating the same exact thing i said. you say youre only pressing records that you guys want to hear. thats why you are sticking to mainly punk, with very little variation going into post-punk, and pop-screamo/ prog. You view this as a positive, while i see it as a negative. Thats why im not involved in the co-op. thats why i originally stayed out of it.

Youre not paying any attention to what is being said. The point of my posts was not to say that this was a list of pop-punk bands. it was to say that i could have predicted what bands would get pressed 6 months ago.

i've heard every record on the list, except what loki listed as indie-pop which i could debate. Im not saying that we should have pressed some Frog Eyes albums, but it would have been nice to see a band that isnt discussed to death on this board, punk news or alt press. But i knew that when this whole thing started that that would not be the case. i knew everyone would stick to their same genres and never expand any of their musical tastes. Again, most of you do not have a problem with that. i do. thts why i stayed out of it.

There is no master list that is being hidden from the people who have a share. It's just long as fuck and a knowing which album ultimately got three votes doesn't effect anything in the long run but your own curiosity. I'm sure when there is time it'll be posted, but since it's in an excel file it'll probably be a bitch to type out.

Dude, it takes mere seconds to publish a excel doc on a website. Reason; people may want to see how close their nominations were to making the cut, and maybe try harder to convince people for next time. How many votes seperated first and second?

I know I'm not the only one out of 200+ people who want to know.

Pissing you people off is just too easy, and I'm not even trying yet.

last thing i'll post in this thread as i dont want to get more backs up, but i find it bizarre that after asking for (non-shareholder) opinions on the list people that are expressing some doubts or constructivie criticism are getting shouted down by people that are involved as if the whole concept is being attacked, which in the majority it is not.

for real

last thing i'll post in this thread as i dont want to get more backs up, but i find it bizarre that after asking for (non-shareholder) opinions on the list people that are expressing some doubts or constructivie criticism are getting shouted down by people that are involved as if the whole concept is being attacked, which in the majority it is not.

for real

I suppose we just have to agree to disagree on this one. I can see how the bands are all connected to one overarching scene, but I guess I dont see how they all sound the same. Questioning or responding to opinions isn't the same as shouting them down in my eyes. And I'm with you. While I voted for Suicide Machines, cause it's a great album, I also would like to see us press something like Dismemberment Plan (whose album Change you need to check out btw since it is in keeping with a lot of your tastes and I think you'd truly love it).

see flood is bringing the kind of defensive bullshit that justifies why i think everyone that has a share is too busy cupping virgil's balls to take any sort of criticism.

you dont offer any valid reason for expanding beyound what we listen to, other than making you happy. Seeing that the experience of virgil and the board lends itself to punk, ska, and indie rock... wouldn't it be smart to go with that direction? especially on the onset as a fledgling label?

I dont think we could move as many shoegaze or hip hop albums as we could say a marginally big punk band.. because a) our collective resources are in the punk umbrella of genres, and B) i think theres more kids buying punk vinyl than say hip hop or sheoegaze that frequent the VC store.

also generally speaking.. most labels are rather genre specific... especially on the small indie side of things... we're going with what we know, and what we listen to.

I would have loved to see Dismemberment Plan higher in the list, and I agree that "Change" would have been awesome. Shit, there's a song on that record about Michael Jordan's girlfriend drowning. Gimme a break.

I don't know who said it and I don't want to waste time looking, but I agree that this list is pretty heavy on the garbage punk. It's a great idea and all, but I would not buy any of the top three records.

it's just OPINIONS, people! if you're cool with the albums, and down to buy them, then cool! no need to say how you couldnt care less about the other albums. at least there are albums that you dig on there, that you would buy. honestly, if you don't give a shit about the co-op, then just don't bother with it.

this should be a fun project but people are just being so negative about it. and i'm not even involved in it!

I'm not sure I see the issue that Flickr is bringing up. I can see how none of the nominated records would be a surprise but why should they? These are the albums that people on hear talk about ceaselessly. Of course they're likely to get the nomination over something no one on her discusses heavily.

Additionally, the vinyl market is moving quickly in the punk market. This is how Gaslight Anthem (a band who still plays relatively small shows) can through four pressings of "Sink or Swim" while many bands who have more fans barely sell any vinyl (if they sell it to begin with). Starting in a niche that is close to the standard for VC is a good way to test the waters before possibly expanding to a further genre.

Personally, none of my three made the list. Two of which (Jason Webely and Saul Williams) stood out from this group. But I realize not everyone has my tastes, that's something I accepted when joining this collective (and why you stayed out). I can see why some people may not be happy pressing a record they don't enjoy, but I'm alright with the group decision.

As for a business plan...I can understand the idea but I've also pretty much thought of this as a fun gamble of $60. Maybe others haven't but that's how I got into it and why I'm none too concerned. I don't think many deadlines can be enforced. If it takes Virgil 2 months to secure the rights on the first choice or a week to secure the second choice, do we just go with the second choice because it meets a deadline or do you stick out the two months to get the number one choice? There's a ton of issues that are a strain on time, even before pressing, that strict deadlines might not work.

I very much hope as we do more records some come and some go you'll see a growing diversity from the selections. I for one would like to see Saul Williams make it to vinyl. That would be cool. We'll see how it works out but for the most part Flood is right, at this point we're a small label so we should stick with a core theme until we grow.

i guess my whole problem with the co-op is that i could see VC pressing everyone of those albums in due time. I was hoping the co-op would offer something even a little different than what VC offered. but maybe that was stupid of me. but anyways, my assumptions are proving 100% right as of now, so i am still glad i stayed out of the whole thing.

and remember, i wanted to stay out of it all until loki asked me what i thought about it. i knew it would start a shitstorm. It would have been great if loki and i could have had a thread all to ourselves and discussed it, but as usual for a messageboard it turned into about two posts per page worth reading...

so in conclusion,

please keep all Co-op threads in the co-op section for me to ignore.

I was under the impression that after the top 10 or 15 were decided, everyone would vote a second time only using that list. What happened to this plan? I would very much like to vote on this list and push some of the better record ahead of some of the bullshit.

this is what i thought was going to happen too