Sloan - One Chord To Another Deluxe 20th Anniversary Reissue Box Set

Available now: http://www.kt8merch.com/store/pages/onechordtoanother

• 3 LPs with 2 lyric inserts
  • 12”x12” 32 page full colour book
  • 7” single
  • Fanzine style booklet
  • High quality digital download and a bonus digital-only LP of demo recordings
  • Bonus pack of signed photos only in 20 random box sets
  • Limited edition of 1000

octa-pack.jpg

Also got an email that included what Jay wanted to share about the One Chord To Another deluxe vinyl box set:

Can it really be that it was (almost) “twenty years ago today”, to quote a lyric from an obscure ’60’s album, that our third LP One Chord To Another was released in Canada? While the album is not exactly our Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, it is perhaps, I dare say, the most Beatle-ish collection in our catalogue. That’s partly due to the songs, but more likely to do with the sounds we were chasing and radical instrument panning in the mix. With such a landmark anniversary at hand, what is a band to do? A tour? A box set, you say? Done! As a result of the very encouraging success of the Twice Removed reissue campaign from 2012, we are excited to present the One Chord To Another deluxe vinyl box set.

As with the Twice Removed set, there will be 3 LPs contained within. First up is a remastered One Chord To Another from the original tapes, followed by an 11 track LP of unreleased 4-track and studio recordings called The Outtakes. The third LP is a remastered version of the oft-requested-for-rerelease Recorded Live at a Sloan Party! Originally included as a bonus CD/LP in the USA, this album was never properly released in Canada…until now! That didn’t take long, did it? An overt homage to the Beach Boys’ Party LP, it features our band recording covers in a “party” atmosphere: from Patrick’s faithful take on April Wine to Chris’ dignified cover of The Modern Lovers, from Andrew’s Everly Brothers harmonizing to my own attempt at some slick early ’80’s Roxy Music. Sound like a party to you?

There’s also a 7” vinyl single with 2 early demo recordings of songs that wound up on One Chord…, “Mirror Ball” (aka an early guitar version of “Junior Panthers”) and a seat-of-the-pants frantic recording of “John, You Made It On” which eventually became “G Turns To D”. My debut (and absolute finale) on drums.

In keeping with the ancient spirit of 1996, you’ll also find inside a photocopied-style fanzine compilation using some of the most interesting articles and fun cut-and-paste graphics of the time. Looking back, it feels like that era was a healthy time for fanzines that focused on artists from our murderecords label and other underground bands in Canada, so we thought it was a cool and appropriate artifact to include in the set.

Once again, the jewel in the crown is a lovely 12”x12” 32 page full colour book. Meticulously overseen by “Murphy Design”, it’s an extensive oral history by the four of us that recounts the recording, touring and the times surrounding One Chord To Another. The book is jammed with many unseen photos, posters, ephemera, artwork, lyric sheets and anything else you can imagine that has been stored away in Chris’ attic office and in my basement vault.

Oh! ..and as a random “easter egg” bonus in 20 of the box sets, there will be a pack of 4 photos (signed, legibly-ish, of each of us), taken by Catherine Stockhausen at our 1997 Varsity Arena show here in Toronto. Our booklets and box set would be much slimmer if not for Catherine’s diligent documenting of the time. As well, if you use the download card of all the audio, (mp3 or FLAC, folks!), you will also receive a bonus 4th digital album of an entire “mirror” LP of demo’s to all the tracks on One Chord To Another. Sort of like an expanded version of the 7” single. Historical!

Thanks to all the fans who supported us by buying the Twice Removed deluxe set and coming out to see us on that tour in 2012. A fab time was had by all. If similar success is bestowed upon this One Chord to Another set then we’ll keep digging through the archives to create more deluxe box sets for as long as fans continue to enjoy them. Did someone say Smeared…? Ol’ Navy Blues…?….

Runnin’ the red light,

Jay F

They also announced the first leg of tour dates:

These shows will be another "Evening with Sloan" and have two full sets of Sloan- one set of our 1996 Juno Award winning "One Chord To Another" album in its entirety and another set of hits, fan favourites and album cuts.

MAR 19th Toronto, ON - Great Hall (Jay & Patrick interview - part of Long Winter. Can now be listened to here: http://vishkhanna.com/2016/03/24/ep-244-long-night-with-shad-sloans-jay-ferguson-patrick-pentland-caitlin-durlak-so-long-seven-bobby-ruin/)
APR 5th Barrie, ON - Roxy Theatre
APR 6th Sudbury, ON - Townehouse
APR 7th Thunder Bay, ON - Crock’s
APR 8th St. Paul, MN - Turf Club (postponed)
APR 9th Winnipeg, MB - The Pyramid
APR 10th Saskatoon, SK - Broadway Theatre
APR 11th Lethbridge, AB - Average Joe’s
APR 13th Grande Prairie, AB - Better Than Fred’s
APR 14th Red Deer, AB - Bo’s Bar and Grill
APR 15th Edmonton, AB - The Needle Vinyl Tavern
APR 16th Calgary, AB - The Marquee
APR 18th Nelson, BC - Spirit Bar
APR 19th Penticton, BC - The Mule
APR 20th Vancouver, BC - Imperial Theatre
APR 21st Victoria, BC - Sugar
APR 22nd Nanaimo, BC - The Queens
APR 23rd Seattle, WA - Barboza
APR 24th Portland, OR - Doug Fir Lounge
APR 26th San Francisco, CA - Rickshaw Stop

MAY 5th Stratford, ON - Masonic Concert Hall
MAY 6th Peterborough, ON - Red Dog
MAY 7th Dundas, ON - Dundas Valley Montessori School
MAY 8th Fort Erie, ON - Bell Tower Sanctuary
MAY 10th London, ON - London Music Hall
MAY 11th Waterloo, ON - Maxwell's
MAY 12th Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
MAY 13th Sarnia, ON - The Station Music Hall
MAY 14th Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

JUN 11th Creemore, ON - The New Farm
JUN 19th Beaumont, AB - Beaumont Blues and Roots Festival
JUN 25th Kingston, ON - Skeleton Park

JUL 1st Toronto, ON - Woodbine Beach

JUL 2nd Kincardine, ON - Victoria Park
JUL 8th Windsor, ON - Riverfront Festival Plaza
JUL 9th Dresden, ON - Dresden Kinsmen Club - Kinstock
JUL 22nd Bengough, SK - Gateway Festival
JUL 30th Minnedosa, MB - Rockin' the Fields

AUG 13th Peterborough, ON - Hootenanny on Hunter 

AUG 19th Ottawa, ON - Arboretum Festival

SEP 17th Sandbanks Provincial Park, ON - Sandbanks Music Festival
SEP 21st San Jose, CA - The Ritz
SEP 22nd - Santa Barbara, CA - Velvet Jones
SEP 23rd Pioneertown, CA - Desert Stars Festival

SEP 24th Las Vegas, CA - Sayers Club
SEP 25th Santa Ana, CA - Constellation Room
SEP 27th San Diego, CA - Casbah
SEP 28th West Hollywood, CA - The Roxy

OCT 5th Montreal, QC - Fairmount Theatre

OCT 6th Charlottetown, PEI - Murphy’s Community Centre 

OCT 7th Halifax, NS - Marquee Ballroom

OCT 8th Truro, NS - Marigold Theatre

OCT 11th Moncton, NB - Capitol Theatre

OCT 12th Fredericton, NB - Fredericton Playhouse

OCT 13th Saint John, NB - Imperial Theatre

OCT 14th Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall

OCT 15th Philadelphia, PA - Underground Arts

OCT 16th Pawling, NY - Daryl’s House

OCT 17th New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom

NOV 8th Sault Ste. Marie, ON - Loplops
NOV 9th Madison, WI - The Frequency

NOV 10th St. Paul, MN - Turf Club (rescheduled from APR 8th)

NOV 11th Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge

NOV 12th St. Louis, MO - Blueberry Hill

NOV 14th Nashville, TN - The High Watt

NOV 15th Atlanta, GA - The Earl

NOV 16th Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle (Back Room)
NOV 17th Charlotte, NC - Visualite Theatre

NOV 18th Washington, DC - Rock & Roll Hotel

NOV 19th Buffalo, NY - Iron Works

NOV 20th - Cleveland, OH - Grog Shop

Edited by voltagedrop

I'm a fairly hardcore Sloan fan. Excited for this but I do wish they hadn't skipped the first album with these sets.

It's the 20th anniversary of OCTA this year.

I have a feeling Smeared will follow next year (25th anniversary), and then they'll probably close out these box set reissues/tours with Navy Blues in 2018 (20th anniversary).

What was the price of the Twice Removed box? I missed out on it. I'd love to hear the demos and extra tracks if anyone has those digitally and wants to share.

Buying this set will depend on the price tag I think. I would have bought TR at $100 (if that's what it was), but not sure about this one...

What was the price of the Twice Removed box? I missed out on it. I'd love to hear the demos and extra tracks if anyone has those digitally and wants to share.

Buying this set will depend on the price tag I think. I would have bought TR at $100 (if that's what it was), but not sure about this one...

A quick google search took me to exclaim.ca where it listed the pre-order price at $89.90(CAD I assume). Sonic Boom here in Toronto has a used copy on their wall for $200. It's been there for many months now.

Similar to someone above, I'm also not a massive Sloan fan, but I do love this album... Will wait to see the price for the box set before deciding to buy or not. I'd likely be happy just owning a standard reissue and let a bigger fan grab a copy of the box set.

A quick google search took me to exclaim.ca where it listed the pre-order price at $89.90(CAD I assume). Sonic Boom here in Toronto has a used copy on their wall for $200. It's been there for many months now.

Similar to someone above, I'm also not a massive Sloan fan, but I do love this album... Will wait to see the price for the box set before deciding to buy or not. I'd likely be happy just owning a standard reissue and let a bigger fan grab a copy of the box set.

Yep Roc was seliing it for $99.99USD: http://www.yeproc.com/watch-sloan-talk-about-their-new-twice-removed-deluxe-vinyl-box-set-order-now-at-the-yep-roc-store/

They had a couple copies at their Toronto show on the Commonwealth tour (Nov. 2014) for $90. Don't think they have any more, though.

That copy at Sonic Boom is also apparently sealed, but I don't think anyone is gonna buy it at $200. Although I've seen stuff on that collector wall that I felt was priced too high get sold, so who knows.

Sloan always puts out quality box sets (I have both the Twice Removed and the 4 Nights at the Palais Royale sets) and I'll definitely be picking up this one. I'll be going to the Barrie show, so hopefully they'll have them ready for the merch table by then.

Yep Roc was seliing it for $99.99USD: http://www.yeproc.com/watch-sloan-talk-about-their-new-twice-removed-deluxe-vinyl-box-set-order-now-at-the-yep-roc-store/

They had a couple copies at their Toronto show on the Commonwealth tour (Nov. 2014) for $90. Don't think they have any more, though.

That copy at Sonic Boom is also apparently sealed, but I don't think anyone is gonna buy it at $200. Although I've seen stuff on that collector wall that I felt was priced too high get sold, so who knows.

Sloan always puts out quality box sets (I have both the Twice Removed and the 4 Nights at the Palais Royale sets) and I'll definitely be picking up this one. I'll be going to the Barrie show, so hopefully they'll have them ready for the merch table by then.

Whoa. $99USD is a lot.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure you're right - the tag on the Sonic Boom copy has a SEALED stamp on it, I think. But I can't imagine it selling until it gets marked down.

If you weren't aware, there is an (as of now) unadvertised One Chord to Another show in Dundas you might be interested in (seeing as your location is listed as Toronto) http://casbahlounge.ca/event_listing/sloan/

Whoa. $99USD is a lot.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure you're right - the tag on the Sonic Boom copy has a SEALED stamp on it, I think. But I can't imagine it selling until it gets marked down.

If you weren't aware, there is an (as of now) unadvertised One Chord to Another show in Dundas you might be interested in (seeing as your location is listed as Toronto) http://casbahlounge.ca/event_listing/sloan/

I remember seeing an OG copy of Silent Alarm by Bloc Party for $200 on that collector wall last year and it sat there for maybe 3-4 months. I was thinking no one would ever buy it, but one day I noticed it wasn't there and wasn't moved to the regular racks. It never ceases to amaze me how much people are willing to pay for that kind of stuff.

And it's funny you mention that Dundas show, as I knew about it and would be really cool to see them in such a venue. However I'll be out of province that day and will just have to wait until they announce the Toronto show(s).

I've also updated the OP with a few more dates (mostly southern Ontario) they haven't officially announced yet, but are already or close to being on sale.

From my memory the Twice Removed box was around $100. Then factor in the tax and the shipping the company they use charges and it was closer to 130 or 140

Was at Sonic Boom earlier and didn't see it on the wall today - but yeah it did have a sealed sticker on it

I basically got it for a few bucks over what Yep Roc was selling it for...

• 2 weeks later...

What did he take offense to? I'd say that article sums up my feelings on their back catalog almost 100%.

Basically he felt the article was inaccurate. I'm not going to wade into the debate (full disclosure: I work for Exclaim occasionally), but you can view his opinions here: https://twitter.com/PatrickPentland

Basically he felt the article was inaccurate. I'm not going to wade into the debate (full disclosure: I work for Exclaim occasionally), but you can view his opinions here: https://twitter.com/PatrickPentland

that was a good read. thanx for posting. I never would have found it otherwise.