Picture Records/Discs questions

ghost

Hello,

Sorry if this is a repost. I tried looking for a picture disc thread and it's really hard to sift through sales posts and news.

First question, are they called picture discs or records?

Second, are they worth paying for? I'm looking into buying a few albums on vinyl, but the only options that are available are a picture disc or a bootleg (in this case it's System of A Down - Mezmerize).

My concerns are audio quality and durability. I've heard they have inferior audio quality and that the designs can sometimes "crack". Novelty aside, I would also like to enjoy my records so if these 2 issues are expected, I'm not sure I want to invest in a picture disc release.

Thank you in advance!

I've heard a few picture discs of exceptional quality, but they were all pressed at 45rpm.

A standout for me was The Uncluded - Hokey Fright picture disc. I couldn't even tell it was a picture disc when I spun it.

Good to hear cuz my local shop is ordering that for me right now haha. Didn't know it was a picture disc until after I had them order it.

It all depends on the individual pressing and your setup.

But generally speaking. Of course when it gets down to individual releases and setup it's going to vary, but I was speaking in terms of just broad categories.

Yeah, Blu-Spec, SHM-CD, I've tried them all and I don't think they improve audio quality.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ok, so then how would people rate a PD with other other formats?

For example,

1.Vinyl

2.Picture Disc

3.Blu-Spec 2 CD

3.CD

From the sounds of it, I'm not sure I would want to buy one and would probably just opt for a high quality CD version.

More like:

1. CD

2. Vinyl

3. Poop

4. Picture Disc

;)