PO: Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth

Sturgill Simpson's new record A Sailor's Guide to Earth is up for preorder here http://store.sturgillsimpson.com/?intcmp=160226/sturgill/atl/spl/s_pr/but/bdy/ww/sturgillsimpson_sailor-preorder-now-button. Vinyl preorders come with a free slipmat while supplies last. Shipping is not cheap, being that he is on a major label now.

Amazon preorder link http://www.amazon.com/Sailors-Guide-Earth-LP-CD/dp/B01CJ1SLNU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1457120948&sr=8-5&keywords=sturgill+simpson+vinyl

If you are interested in hearing the first single, it is at the bottom of the page at this link.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-sturgill-simpsons-hypnotic-new-song-brace-for-impact-20160303

I like the new song pretty well. Seems a little more rocking than his last album Metamodern Sounds in Country music.

yeah, that's not limited.

Edited to include the amazon preorder link. It is weird that it says it is limited but they are pressing 10,000 copies, they also mention the LP is an online exclusive. Does that mean the LP itself or the color of the vinyl? Preorder page is not real clear, regardless I won't be preordering from there anyway when I can get free shipping from Prime. These major labels are a joke with their shipping prices. Even if you include the price of the mailer it is at most $4.50 to ship Media Mail.

• 1 month later...

My local shop is having a listening party for this after hours this Saturday night. He has tote bags, t-shirts, signed posters and at least one signed copy of the record as giveaways. 

Is your local shop in Portland by chance? I'm thinking about going to a listening tomorrow night and would love to meet a fellow VCer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up this album. It's incredible. Wonderful growth as a musician - to me it's a great next step after Metamodern. That first song, Welcome To Earth, is particularly powerful, especially as a parent.

Gonna be a competitor for AOTY already...

As a new parent, I agree. The album as a whole is really hitting me hard.

Yeah, forget where I heard/read this, but apparently he had to write to the Cobain family/estate to get permission to include the cover on the album since he changed the lyrics.

But during the recording session, Mr. Simpson inadvertently changed a lyric in the chorus. He sang it the way he remembered it from childhood: “But he don’t know what it means/Don’t know what it means/To love someone.” (That last clause is an invention.)

To have it cleared, he had to write “a very heartfelt letter” to the administrators of Mr. Cobain’s estate, who allowed him to release his version. Yet, even in this most humble of homages, Mr. Simpson has preserved his perspective. “Even now knowing what he says,” he said, “when I listen to it, I still hear it my way.”

Via

Yeah, forget where I heard/read this, but apparently he had to write to the Cobain family/estate to get permission to include the cover on the album since he changed the lyrics.

Yup. My buddy got to see him perform the album in a studio.

He talked to Sturgill: "He says "to love someone" instead of "and I said yeah" and how they never caught it til everything was done and mastered and they had to go to Kurt's estate and ask if they could still release it. And the lawyers asked him to write a personal letter saying why he changed the lyrics and he said that's how he alwasy heard it and yada yada and they said OK cool. Annd explained that he always heard it that way and even knowing the right words when he sings it it just comes out that way."