BBC Article: 7% of people who buy vinyl do not own a TT

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36027867?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Came across this cringey article on the BBC stating 7% of people who buy vinyl don't own a turntable and 41% have a TT and don't us it.  Is this accurate?  The article also contained one of the greatest quotes I have ever read:

"I have vinyl in my room but it's more for decor. I don't actually play them," Jordan Katende, a student in Manchester, told BBC News.

The article also goes on to say about 45% of people will listen to an album digitally before purchasing and also asks some artists what format they prefer.

yeah, it is pretty sad honestly. I knew this guy that used to buy "rare and cool looking" records to display and many times from genres he had zero interest in. When I seen what he had, there was a good $400+ spent yet he had not heard a single second of any of them haha.

I honestly thought the number would be higher then that for sure. I also know a good amount of people who have a turntable and consistently buy records yet only listen to the digital version.

Some people man, some people.....

Keep in mind it's a BBC article, as well. I can't quite tell for sure but I'm guessing these are UK figures. Remember, vinyl never completely "died" in the UK as badly as it did in the US. Even at its lowest, you could still walk into HMV and see some 7" singles in the charts section or whatever.

I bet if it was a US-based poll, the amount of vinyl owners without a turntable would be 30% or more.

Saw that last night, what idiots. I only buy stuff I plan on listening to (mostly because of my budget but still) and as a result of that yes I do listen to a few of the songs of an album I want to buy just because I want to make sure it's good, but once I have it I don't just put it on a shelf and listen to the digital version because that defeats the purpose of it.

Also read this article yesterday... Made me chuckle, but didn't surprise me at all.

IMHO you can look at it in two ways:

1) There are a lot of idiots out there who blindly follow what they see as the latest cool-thing, so they can brag to everyone and anyone that will listen, which may therefore dilute the worth and essence of what makes vinyl great.

2) Said idiots, whilst still idiots, are helping boost the vinyl industry, which helps create a greater voice for lesser known (and therefore lesser funded) artists and labels, which can only be a good thing for the preservation of the format in the longer term and music in general.