Pressing a 7" Record: First Dance Song – Need Your Suggestions!

Hi everyone!

I'm getting married next May, and since my bride-to-be and I both share such a immense love for vinyl, we're going to have our first dance song pressed to vinyl. Our DJ is going to be spinning music the way it was meant to be heard with a very awesome vintage vinyl setup.

But I need your guys' help! We want our first dance song to be unique and not the same old, same old you hear at every wedding. We're leaning toward "Start a Riot" by Banners, but we'd love to hear some of your suggestions as there are a lot of under-the-radar songs out there. And what better place to grab some suggestions than from this awesome community with so many different opinions on music!

Edited by SuperBuckeye30

Just now, jacobe said:

You're going to have to look into the licensing cost from the artists your looking to have on the 7" - even if you're giving it away, you'll have to pay for the rights to have it pressed most likely. 

We've actually started reaching out to the artists we're considering for licensing costs. Some of the more popular first dance songs are pretty high, so that's why we wanted to find some more under-the-radar choices like Banners (although he's becoming increasingly popular) so that we can keep it reasonable. Appreciate the heads up though!

3 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Weddings are expensive, why add Unnecessary costs?

We had friends purchase a Downwrite song for us from Matt Pryor that I considered getting pressed as a wedding favor for guests, but after looking at a drawer full of shot glasses, bottle openers, keychains, etc from other weddings, we decided to take that cost and donate to the local Animal Shelter since 90% of those items are never really looked at again. 

I may be reading this wrong as you're looking to have just 1 7" of it pressed for the first dance, if that is the case, look at the Downwrite route on getting a one of kind song and looking into a lathe cut, still something that seems more of a hassle. 

9 hours ago, ryantark said:

Pic disc lathe cut

My wife and I actually received a picture disc lathe cut 7-inch as a wedding present from none other than Flood (of VC fame). The picture was one of our engagement photos, and the song on it was "The Safety Dance," which was 100% NOT our wedding song but a track my wife loves nonetheless.

(Our first dance song was the Weakerthans' "The Reasons," btw.)

Fall too Fast by the Wood Brothers was our first dance, but it we had the DJ play a version that she and I had recorded at a concert that turned out really well using some high end gear (Sound Devices 722 with a Rode NT4 mic). I think it's a really good tune for the occasion.

My wife and I are both musicians, and when we got married a few years ago, we connected with the band playing our reception (an amazing local cover band called Dwayne Gretzky....no joke), and shared with them a song I wrote years ago called 'The Comma Before The Storm' (we're both in education and love grammar). Instead of a first dance, we had a first song, playing along with the band. It was totally awesome (you can check out the song here).

We have also gotten in the habit of recording songs for friends who've gotten married - usually cover songs. We found a local company who was able to make a picture disc lathe cut of the song. It made for some amazing gifts. The company is called Monotype Audio, and I just searched for them, and it seems they've been either absorbed or bought by Duplication.ca, who I can vouch for as a very decent company. If they're using the same lathe, I will say the quality is about as good as I've heard as far as lathe cuts. Infor here: https://www.duplication.ca/quotes/canada/english/lathecuts.php

Best of luck finding the right song! It's one of those things where as music lovers you'll want it to be just right. But I have a feeling when you find the song, you'll know it's the right one!