PO: The Dear Hunter Boxset (Acts I - V + new album "The Fox and the Hunt")

here's my quick review of the contents; i won't have time to listen until at least sunday or monday (an agonizing wait) as we are in the middle of moving and renovating —

• new art for acts I–III
  • same art for acts IV–V
  • fox and the hunt art as advertised online
  • an empty sleeve for "act VI: the hanged man"???? did anyone else hear or know about this? are we back on for act VI (was it not supposed to be empty?), or is this just a goodie for box set folks? admittedly i haven't been following the news on this too closely.
  • i don't have many box sets, so with that caveat in mind, this box is quite nice. easily the nicest i have. very durable and sharply presented. it certainly makes the steep price point make it feel more like it was worth it.

pics in my next post.

8 minutes ago, chamb117 said:

here's my quick review of the contents; i won't have time to listen until at least sunday or monday (an agonizing wait) as we are in the middle of moving and renovating —

• new art for acts I–III
  • same art for acts IV–V
  • an empty sleeve for "act VI: the hanged man"???? did anyone else hear or know about this? are we back on for act VI (was it not supposed to be empty?), or is this just a goodie for box set folks? admittedly i haven't been following the news on this too closely.
  • i don't have many box sets, so with that caveat in mind, this box is quite nice. easily the nicest i have. very durable and sharply presented. it certainly makes the steep price point make it feel more like it was worth it.

pics in my next post.

Agreed. The box set is top notch top to bottom. Casey never disappoints with his aesthetic for all things Dear Hunter.

also, like highfives, i have represses of I–III and originals of IV–V. i will compare once i'm not suffocating under cardboard boxes.

casey and company did a great job with art direction. all the colorways match the art extremely well.

link to pics of the set:

https://imgur.com/a/ZzN6uUd

1 hour ago, chamb117 said:

• new art for acts I–III
  • same art for acts IV–V

pics in my next post.

Yes, Act VI was advertised to be an empty sleeve in the set.  If and when it is released, box set owners get it at a discount.

20 hours ago, perelandra05 said:

I've never heard the originals, only previous on vinyl I have is Amour, so far I've cleaned through all the records and listened to Fox & the Hunt, ACT I, and ACT II. All have quite a bit of surface noise which is a bummer as I've bought them to listen too and not just admire. Amour sounded fantastic by the way. The vinyl came out of the box very filthy so hopefully a play thru and another round of cleaning will fix it but just curious what everyone else's experience has been so far.

I'm cleaning the box set right now and am listening to Act I. I don't have any surface noise, and they sound very clear and crisp. I don't have any of the original presses, so I have nothing to compare to in that regard, but it sounds really good and in line with any other high quality press, so I'm happy.

my guess for single sleeve vs gatefold is the single sleeve stack more easily, whereas stacking gatefolders would aesthetically be less pleasing. not saying that's a defensible rationale, although (again, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, which a lot of this is based on) i totally understand it

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they put up around ~80 copies of the boxset back up. 

Also, looks like they pressed the Fox and the Hunt on its own as well. Seems to be the same pressing that's within the boxset: 

https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/collections/the-dear-hunter/products/the-fox-and-the-hunt-black-1

10 hours ago, dapeebs said:

Looks like they put up around ~80 copies of the boxset back up. 

Also, looks like they pressed the Fox and the Hunt on its own as well. Seems to be the same pressing that's within the boxset: 

https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/collections/the-dear-hunter/products/the-fox-and-the-hunt-black-1

Thanks for the heads up. Did grab.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, unravelled said:

It’s been up for a while. Surprised it’s still there with such a low press. However this album just makes me want to listen to the actual full album every time I try and listen, so maybe that’s other people’s reason for not caring. 😂

6 hours ago, andrewlucas said:

Hmmmm.... 

I’m iffy about this.  It’s a cool idea but I read something that was like “this will be the definitive  and sound on those two albums” and it rubs me the wrong way.

I’ll still listen to it, and if it’s worth it probably buy it.  But I’m definitely not as hyped as others seem to be.

I think that’s kind of my overall vibe about the band lately in general, which is a weird thing to say given how much I have loved them.

On 2/18/2021 at 4:41 PM, highfives said:

I’m iffy about this.  It’s a cool idea but I read something that was like “this will be the definitive  and sound on those two albums” and it rubs me the wrong way.

I’ll still listen to it, and if it’s worth it probably buy it.  But I’m definitely not as hyped as others seem to be.

I think that’s kind of my overall vibe about the band lately in general, which is a weird thing to say given how much I have loved them.

kinda in this headspace, too. maybe it's the whole pillar thing. and branching off into HA. don't think i'm even gonna watch the stream, although i don't doubt some of the preorder stuff will lure me in. we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 3:21 PM, chamb117 said:

kinda in this headspace, too. maybe it's the whole pillar thing. and branching off into HA. don't think i'm even gonna watch the stream, although i don't doubt some of the preorder stuff will lure me in. we'll see.

Did anyone watch the stream?

I heard a couple of clips and decided to do a month of Pillar.  I’m gonna go ahead and eat some of those words up there because  the Act I performance is fucking incredible.

I'm really interested to hear Act II.

• 1 month later...

Act II performance was really great.  I feel like there were some weak spots vocally, but instrumentally it was really great.  The sound quality and mix of these two performances has been incredible.  

I'm going to assume there will be an official release of this audio in some form - it's too detailed and involved to leave it tucked away on Pillar.

Anyone else catching these?