MLB Discussion

crazy, i just saw the brewers drafted a couple prep players that were ranked around 150/170 in the minors with picks in the high 300's low 400's. shows that a lot of teams were drafting college arms early to try to save money by paying under the slot for the players to put more money towards the top two rounds.

crazy, i just saw the brewers drafted a couple prep players that were ranked around 150/170 in the minors with picks in the high 300's low 400's. shows that a lot of teams were drafting college arms early to try to save money by paying under the slot for the players to put more money towards the top two rounds.

Next year is going to be very interesting in the draft. With all the new rules going forward from next year, we are going to see teams having totally different strategies than we are used to.

And he will be smart enough to take what the Pirates offer knowing full well even if he is drafted first next year he wont get the same ammount of money.

that, and next years draft class is supposedly loaded with talent, so theres no promise that he'll even go as high as #8 next year

Not sure if the Pirates will be able to sign Appel who they drafted 8th overall. He was supposed to go first, but I think Boras scared some teams off. You know Boras will want to get the full 7 million allotment for his client.

The Astros were ready to offer him $6 million before the draft but Appel turned them down. so that's why the Astros took Carlos Correa instead.

Scott Boras is killing this sport. His whole "Im better than so and so at this point and they got more than this" just doesnt work. As a fan, I dont want my team investing 7 million in a player that wont reach the majors for a few years if AT ALL.

Players should get paid if they have performed, it's a business. But the idea of getting Major League grade contracts for prospects is one of the worst trends to date.

Possibly the best cautionary tale to date about the risks of holding out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090423/harrington

Great article.

Oh I agree that players should get what they deserve, after all the owners are making money hand over fist on them so they shuold get due compensation for it, but that is when you are an established player for the team, not some kid out of high school on college that still has a low chance of making it to the majors and producing.

two tidbits I read today

Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick went public yesterday to slam Stephen Drew, saying he's taking entirely too long to return from the broken ankle and torn ligaments he suffered last July. Drew is headed to AAA this week to begin a rehab stint. Kendrick told a radio show that he's disappointed in Drew and accused Drew (and his agent Scott Boras) of being more concerned with his impending free agency than playing this season.

The new CBA also severely limited the ability of players using chew tobacco. Two former minor-leaguers have come up with something of a solution - chewable coffee. Called Grinds, its now in 20 major league clubhouses and used at some level by all 30 clubs. It has apparently helped multiple folks stop chewing

The Angels pen is embarrassing

Frieri and Downs have stellar numbers (Frieri might be having the best season of any reliever in baseball, outside of Aroldis), Walden has a high whip but the rest is fine. I guess their middle relievers have been blowing it? I don't follow everyone. Three RP with ERAs under 3 is a very good core, though.