NFL Discussion

His immaturity will doom him if he doesn't get it together.

So then who would you rather have? A guy like Mariota who literally is incapable of being passionate on the football field or a guy like Winston who may be a knucklehead around college campus but has total command over his team on the field?

So then who would you rather have? A guy like Mariota who literally is incapable of being passionate on the football field or a guy like Winston who may be a knucklehead around college campus but has total command over his team on the field?

Easily Winston. I have Cam as a QB so that's what I envision Jameis to be if he can mature and surround himself with the right people. With all the nonsense that surrounded Cam at UF and Auburn, he hasn't had a sniff of legal trouble in the NFL.

Easily Winston. I have Cam as a QB so that's what I envision Jameis to be if he can mature and surround himself with the right people. With all the nonsense that surrounded Cam at UF and Auburn, he hasn't had a sniff of legal trouble in the NFL.

I would rather have Mariotta over Winston. There is something about Winston that makes me question whether he can stay out of trouble. It just seems to follow him around. He's a good talent, but he doesn't have the mindset to be a leader. i could be wrong, but as of right now thats how I am thinking about him. Also, Newton never got in trouble with the law while at Auburn. I think his father was accepting gifts from boosters and thats what caused a stir with him.

I would rather have Mariotta over Winston. There is something about Winston that makes me question whether he can stay out of trouble. It just seems to follow him around. He's a good talent, but he doesn't have the mindset to be a leader. i could be wrong, but as of right now thats how I am thinking about him. Also, Newton never got in trouble with the law while at Auburn. I think his father was accepting gifts from boosters and thats what caused a stir with him.

You certainly haven't watched any Florida State football game then have you..

You certainly haven't watched any Florida State football game then have you..

I have and it's just the way I feel about this guy. He has talent, but i'm not sure he has the smarts and maturity to become a successful NFL QB. I bet you were a big Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell supporter too back when they were in college because Winston is following in their same path. Talent can get you far in college, but at the next level you need more than that to be a winner. We'll just agree to disagree and see what happens in the next few years.

I have and it's just the way I feel about this guy. He has talent, but i'm not sure he has the smarts and maturity to become a successful NFL QB. I bet you were a big Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell supporter too back when they were in college because Winston is following in their same path. Talent can get you far in college, but at the next level you need more than that to be a winner. We'll just agree to disagree and see what happens in the next few years.

nailed it with those examples

People around here are kinda turning on Bortles so talk of winston has heat up and I don't like it

Dan Marino scored a 15 on the Wunderlic and Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 (out of 50). Football IQ can be pretty different from real IQ, and it's Football IQ that matters.

Comparing Winston to Jamarcus Russell right now is just a waste of breath. It's easy to say "I would have taken Calvin Johnson over Russell" now and for most people, it's the truth. Every dude in this thread would have been jacked if their team got him with the 10th pick that year (pretending that they didn't already have an established QB).

Point being -- There's no way to accurately predict whether a player will boom or bust, so if anyone thinks they are smarter than professional scouts because they called a few busts over the years, they are kidding themselves.

Love how Russell and Young are everyone's first two examples. Won't go into the race implications. Would love to hear an explanation to how Winston's play style is even in the same universe as those two though. Best comparison I've seen so far is Big Ben. Winston isn't a runner. He's 6'4 240 lbs.

Love how Russell and Young are everyone's first two examples. Won't go into the race implications. Would love to hear an explanation to how Winston's play style is even in the same universe as those two though. Best comparison I've seen so far is Big Ben. Winston isn't a runner. He's 6'4 240 lbs.

Winston and Russell have comparable rushing numbers (but your point is valid that neither is/was really a scrambling QB).

Vince Young ran for about a thousand more yards a season than Winston and Russell.

Winston isnt like ben unless you are trying to imply the rape allegations? Comparing winston to young and Russell? Yeah, theyre all big black quarterbacks, whats wrong with that race implication? He absolutely reminds me of them, and there's nothing wrong with that other than he wont be that great of an nfl qb

Many people have said Jameis and Roethlisberger have similar attributes. It's kinda old news.

Side note: I think you should curb the comments about race simply because it comes across as a slightly bigoted remark. Regardless of your intentions it just doesn't read well.

Many people have said Jameis and Roethlisberger have similar attributes. It's kinda old news.

Side note: I think you should curb the comments about race simply because it comes across as a slightly bigoted remark. Regardless of your intentions it just doesn't read well.

Just the jaded FSU homer in me. My bad, it wasn't meant in a serious way.