NFL Discussion

For some reason I just don't trust it. Maybe it's Oregon's offense but I'm intrigued

Fixed

Yeah Andrew Luck is a huge stretch. The kid looks decent but definitely not a as gifted a passer as Luck (to be fair there aren't many even in the NFL). I think Cam is a better comparison, but I think Cam is actually more gifted in just about every way.

Marriota would have been the top drafted QB last year, opted out of the draft for his last year of college and just got better and will be the top QB taken this draft.  Cam Newton got drafted after 1 year as a starting QB, he never played at Florida before going to Auburn and going to the draft after 1 season.  Mariota is also not a rushing QB like Newton was in college, he has like 600 yards on the ground and 3800 in the air this year when Newton passed for 2000 and ran for 1400.

Marriota would have been the top drafted QB last year, opted out of the draft for his last year of college and just got better and will be the top QB taken this draft.  Cam Newton got drafted after 1 year as a starting QB, he never played at Florida before going to Auburn and going to the draft after 1 season.  Mariota is also not a rushing QB like Newton was in college, he has like 600 yards on the ground and 3800 in the air this year when Newton passed for 2000 and ran for 1400.

I doubt that Jacksonville would have drafted him over Bortles last year, but outside of him from last years draft and even the year before there wasn't a lot of impressive draft spots from the QB position. Also, stats in college really mean nothing. If they don't preform well at the combine/pro-day they will get the Bridewater treatment regardless. I actually think Bridgewater will be a good QB, but his case shows how much impact those events have on draft stock. Also, Cam is a much better comparison than Luck on the simple fact that Mariota is a dual threat, I know that Luck has an ability to run but he is a pure passer regardless. If you took away Mariota's legs I personally don't think his arm is at an NFL franchise QB level yet. Don't get me wrong, he is certainly good enough to be a first round pick, I just think he doesn't quite have the ability to throw the ball on a line as proficiently as needed yet.

Yes but Mariota isn't playing in anything even remotely resembling a pro style offense. His learning curve is so steep if he wants to be successful.

This is a concern, however, the league has changed so much over the past few years that it is much more accommodating for QB's coming in from unconventional offenses. The question is, what team would be willing to change their offensive scheme? Either that or it will be a team that already has done so (maybe Washington, though that would be a death trap). IMO if the Eagles get a chance at Mariota I think they will jump at it. That is the only offense I could see him doing some serious damage early on. He already knows the offense coming into the league and has a relationship with Kelly, it just makes too much sense. Being a Dallas fan, I hope it doesn't happen haha.

My boys are playing their asses off today. If ATL loses tomorrow, we are in first again lol

You're a Carolina fan? The Saints will be 5-8 if they lose today, Carolina will be 4-8-1. Saints will still be ahead.

I really do want to see this division's winner go like 6-10, then make it to the Superbowl.. and win..

You're a Carolina fan? The Saints will be 5-8 if they lose today, Carolina will be 4-8-1. Saints will still be ahead.

I really do want to see this division's winner go like 6-10, then make it to the Superbowl.. and win..

Dammit I forgot that tie is half a win, but yeah it's going to take a little help but we are still in it. Especially because play ATL Week 17.

My bet is that it will happen. Though I hope the 49ers can get something for him if he's going to go. I've heard Tony Dungy as a possible name for the new Niners HC. Definitely need a change in coaching philosophy.

I should say, I want Harbs to stay, but it will never happen because of what the front office will want him to give up (his entire OC staff) which he has already said is a package deal with him. I'm just really sad how this whole thing has turned into a train wreck for essentially no good reason. This is still the same team more or less that went deep in the playoffs.

My bet is that it will happen. Though I hope the 49ers can get something for him if he's going to go. I've heard Tony Dungy as a possible name for the new Niners HC. Definitely need a change in coaching philosophy.

I should say, I want Harbs to stay, but it will never happen because of what the front office will want him to give up (his entire OC staff) which he has already said is a package deal with him. I'm just really sad how this whole thing has turned into a train wreck for essentially no good reason. This is still the same team more or less that went deep in the playoffs.

I wouldn't trip though. Niners defense should shoot back to #1 or #2 next year when it's back loaded and healthy. Healthy defense means Kaepernick has shorter distance to run into the endzone since you'll be forcing more punts and getting that game of field position back.

I wouldn't trip though. Niners defense should shoot back to #1 or #2 next year when it's back loaded and healthy. Healthy defense means Kaepernick has shorter distance to run into the endzone since you'll be forcing more punts and getting that game of field position back.

I'm not that worried. I'm certainly not in the camp of people who think we should get rid of Kaep because of a few bad games in an otherwise poor overall offensive season where he has actually had decent stats. I do think that there's something to the whole York/Baalke/Harbs situation that is being covered up by the front office and I wish they would just come out with it and make up.

It is pretty crazy to look at the NFC playoff race and see that it is entirely possible for a team (probably Dallas or Philly) to end up 11-5 and miss the playoffs. Pretty crazy, especially when the south could be won with a 7-9 record this year haha.

At this point Dallas basically has to win out and be 12-4 to make it. So much for getting over that 8-8 hump lol.