SCOWL - Psychic Dance Routine

7 minutes ago, daegor said:

Yup, any success must mean they are a plant

I think that people are confused that a band that goes from playing hardcore music you’d expect from someone’s first band to playing a 3rd rate version of live through this gets this massive push and Taco Bell is propping them up. Not saying they don’t tour a ton and aren’t nice people or whatever. I just think their music is rather mediocre for how popular they are

22 minutes ago, fartsandwich said:

I just think their music is rather mediocre for how popular they are

I like it  🤷‍♂️

happy to see people get success, regardless of whether or not that's true.  Get that bag, fuck big corporations, if you can get them to give you any money, do it.

40 minutes ago, richardp said:

Funny how nobody called Turnstile industry plants when they did Taco Bell, but Scowl does it and somehow they're the worst band in hardcore now for it. 

If you look in the right (wrong?) places turnstile gets roasted for TB and the non traditional hardcore sound and the shows with barricades etc… but yea scowl gets it a lot worse bc they have that cute lady singer so they must be fake, right?

The new Scowl is extremely not for me (ok fine I think it’s bad) but it’s also the perfect music for them to get opportunities off of. That doesn’t make them industry plants. They have toured nonstop since pandemic and they have had fans/followers the entire time.

So much of the Scowl hate is misogyny. 

Drain’s tour was sponsored and branded by Monster. Nobody kicked up dirt because of that.

I generally think gatekeeping is good. It’s annoying that someone goes to a Turnstile show once now calls themselves a “hardcore kid.” But this has literally been the experience of being a music lover on the internet my entire life. The zaniness and rebuttals are just louder and more visible now. 

Edited by porkdad

"Selling out" to taco bell is probably garnering them enough coin to buy some taco bell.

This is a contender for EP of the year for me.  I love it.  I love that 90s alternative sound they've fused with hardcore on this release and Kat's lyrics resonate.  I balked on the price point when this dropped, but I found myself listening to it so much on spotify that I couldn't help but cave and pick it up.  It's been in steady rotation on my table on summer.

2 hours ago, porkdad said:

The new Scowl is extremely not for me (ok fine I think it’s bad) but it’s also the perfect music for them to get opportunities off of. That doesn’t make them industry plants. They have toured nonstop since pandemic and they have had fans/followers the entire time.

So much of the Scowl hate is misogyny. 

Drain’s tour was sponsored and branded by Monster. Nobody kicked up dirt because of that.

I generally think gatekeeping is good. It’s annoying that someone goes to a Turnstile show once now calls themselves a “hardcore kid.” But this has literally been the experience of being a music lover on the internet my entire life. The zaniness and rebuttals are just louder and more visible now. 

This.

Not liking the new sound is one thing, and obviously fine (to each their own, I love both the new and old sound).  But invalidating their hard work is just shitty.

But I disagree with you on gatekeeping, people are going to be annoying regardless of if you gatekeep or not.  Music it cool, let people like what they like, help expose new things to people who haven't seen or heard something like that before.  My taste and preferences are not better than anyone else's, I don't fucking care if you like something I think is dumb, or have a dumb opinion about something I like or don't like.  But if I can share something with you I think is cool and you get some enjoyment out of it too, that's fucking awesome.

1 hour ago, daegor said:

This.

Not liking the new sound is one thing, and obviously fine (to each their own, I love both the new and old sound).  But invalidating their hard work is just shitty.

But I disagree with you on gatekeeping, people are going to be annoying regardless of if you gatekeep or not.  Music it cool, let people like what they like, help expose new things to people who haven't seen or heard something like that before.  My taste and preferences are not better than anyone else's, I don't fucking care if you like something I think is dumb, or have a dumb opinion about something I like or don't like.  But if I can share something with you I think is cool and you get some enjoyment out of it too, that's fucking awesome.

Yeah so I actually agree with you on that. I’m just annoyed but I don’t do anything about it because I’ve learned enough from being in online music communities and publications for too long. And hating and punching down is for your group chats only... you’re a dork if you make it your whole personality. IMO gatekeeping is necessary in the way that there should be some level of what bands you should know and respect before you’re making TikToks about “the top 5 hardcore albums of all time.” Im totally anti-oldhead but im also anti-genre tourists acting like they’re know-it-alls. Know what I mean?

1 hour ago, likeweeds said:

The official Scowl plushie

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw5lcw0pEqd/?hl=en

And fuck any and all corporate involvement with punk

Agnostic Front has an action figure. Milo has a bobblehead. Gorilla Biscuits have a toy. What’s your point? You only listen to crust punk? 

7 minutes ago, porkdad said:

Agnostic Front has an action figure. Milo has a bobblehead. Gorilla Biscuits have a toy. What’s your point? You only listen to crust punk? 

Everybody knows you can only be in a punk or punk adjacent band if you are barely scraping by on tour and you work in a shitty restaurant at home. You are not allowed to capture the bag and attempt to live a comfortable life.

2 hours ago, likeweeds said:

The official Scowl plushie

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw5lcw0pEqd/?hl=en

And fuck any and all corporate involvement with punk

Corporate? They have 2k followers.

You going to fuck with Power Trip because they did one too?

Edited by MyEnemy