What do you think about color vinyl?

So after reading stevo's interview on vinyl file i was thinking about a few things.

justin has often said people could care less about records on Crazy colors(splatter,half and half you know...crazy!) but is this true.

Do people not care about the color of the vinyl?

Do people only care about records on color vinyl?

Do crazy colors motivate people to buy records?

whats im getting at is using companys that can make Crazy color vinyl cost a bit more and are located out of the country.

so is it worth it to people buying the records?

Color certainly motivates people to buy more, I don't think there's much of a question of that. People don't need 5 copies of a record on the same color, they just don't think that way. But people do want every color a on which a particular record is pressed.

I don't think people care about a particular color though with some I would imagine a cool color would motivate them to buy. I think people just like color generally speaking. Its got a bit more to it than simple black even if black sounds better.

It only matters to me with certain bands, and if the band actually gives you a shot at getting the records. I collect O Pioneers and William Elliot Whitmore, but artists who at worst have had lmt to 30 records. I stopped collecting MLIW and most other hardcore bands (I'm talking every color of a release) when I realized I'd never get friends only pressings lmt to 10 or No Idea bands that get 1 to 5 color pressings that are next to impossible to get. That being said I wish their was also a black option for most releases. I just think black sounds best.

Guest abravemorning

I loved colored vinyl. It keeps things interested and adds even more to the aesthetic appeal of a record. However, I don't believe in the strife to collect every single color, press, variation of my favorite records. Having only one copy of a record makes that it more special to me. Not to mention pressing vinyl on multiple colors is nothing more than a way to sell the same record multiple times to the same person. It's much like labels releasing "Special Editions" of CDs. Kids buy it up. How many times can a single kid buy "Tell All Your Friends" or "From Underneath the Cork Tree?"

This is an interesting subject for me. Colored vinyl is what first got me into vinyl. When I knew nothing about it in high school the idea of a record being on color was really cool to me and the way a record actually plays was even more fascinating and to an extent still is. I honesly really love colors. I like the crazy stuff and the clear with colors. At the same time though lately I've seen a lot of the same colors or same types of colors. I only collect one band and that's hard enough so I don't understand the people who collect every color of ever press of every release. I'm at the point with my collecting that if anything else I'd just like to have a copy of a record regaurdless of color or press. At the same time a cool color that super limited does motivate me to get a record. I ordered the new Ben Weasel record simply for the tan/green swirl color cause it was limited to 100. I alwasy like Screaching Weasel but was never super into them and it wasn't something I had to have but grabed anyways. I just got it in the mail today and listened to the cd(don't currently have a turntable) and loved it and I'm so glad to have it now. I know this probably doesn't make much sense. I guess I just have too mix up feelings abou it.

first and foremost, like a lot of other peeps here, colored vinyl is what got me into the format. i think it's pretty cool. i know i bought two copies of the playing favorites record because of the colors (as opposed to just one). for collecting, i think it makes things interesting. for your average vinyl listener, i think colored vinyl is irrelevant.

180g is nice. but if the colored version is more limited than 180g, i'd probably want to buy the colored version first, then the 180g later. but i think it depends on the album.

On a more serious note then my first posts, I do like colored vinyl, but to a point. If it matches the artwork, or happens to look really cool, sure, I'm interested.

But then there's the infamous "No Idea Grey" vinyl, which honestly drives me nuts. I don't think grey vinyl looks good, let alone 30 shades of it.