Has anyone collected/bought vinyl long enough...

Guest genericinsight

The Blues Brothers is playing at the local theater this Friday. They do this midnight movie madness thing with lots of famous movies, like the Shining. I'm stoked.

Oh, I don't consider myself a collector, but this paypal buyers credit account has almost turned me into one. Buy now, Pay later? FUCK!!! and all these bands just keep pumping out fancy vinyl releases.

In the 80s, I'd pay anywhere from $1.29 to $1.99 for a brand new single. Typical Top 40 stuff at the record store.

Apparently in the 50s, they cost that much as well, as much as $2 for a single. I can't even imagine, that had to have been a sh*t ton back then for a record. I know it was a lot for my dad's family, they didn't have much money. My dad was a complete music fanatic but his dad wasn't supportive from the cost standpoint so his mom would have to sneak him money for records. I'm always fascinated by my dad's stories, I should interview him about his 50 years of buying records and post it

I'm always fascinated by my dad's stories, I should interview him about his 50 years of buying records and post it

This would be totally awesome! Have Virgil interview him for the next podcast.

I suggested him as a 'collector of the month' when those first started and Virgil instead suggested I do a full article for the website. Then this board/site blew up and I decided to wait for some reason. My dad would probably let me interview him, I'm going to start on this even if it ends up just being for my own use.

Guest genericinsight
Not what Barrie is referring to but I have been collecting so long that I recall when the color referred to as "clear" would be more like "coke bottle" nowadays.

I vaguely remember this too.

Somewhat related and probably more so if I were to look at it more, but I was cleaning up my room Sunday and I found a mailorder catalog from No Idea from like 2000-ish.

Say, if you wanna part with that.....

I'm still trying to build my NI! Zine/Catalog/random stuff collection.

my first musical purchases were tapes(I'm not old, but definitely gettin' there.)...and yes I remember the days of vinyl being cheaper than CDs!

Yeah me as well, I still have tons of boxes of cassettes, from when most new releases were primarily cassette and vinyl.

Seems to me it has just been the past few years that vinyl prices have become higher cd's. It actually makes sense, for the longest time, and still now, everything was completely back asswards.

Cd's were about 1.50 a piece to manufacture, and vinyl was about 4 bucks a piece to manufacture, yet the retail was

Cd 12,95

LP 8.00

Just completely backwards.

I think personally 12 bucks for vinyl is a good, decent, fair msrp price, for both the label and the consumer, but cd prices need to go down to around 8 bucks and balance the playing field.

The retail cost needs to reflect the manufacturing cost.

The majors had such a monolopy on the cd market, even on the technology itself, it seemed to have a control on almost "fixed" pricing on msrp for cd's. But the majors could care less at the time about vinyl. They considered it a dead format, hence it was left up to the indi's and pricing structure was basically created by the indies after tape and cd formats became mainstream media.

I deffinitely expect that vinyl prices will soar if the majors really start taking off with it. They once again will have a monolopy on the majority of the vinyl being sold, which in turn will have a negative effect on the indi market, and the indies will have to actually raise their prices on vinyl to be competitive with the majors, and to avoid making it look like a cut out bin price.

P.S Guns n Roses rule, I've been hooked on em for the past 2 week.

... to remember the period during the mid-90's when vinyl records purchased from indie labels were actually cheaper than CD's?

This came up on another forum I post at and it got me thinking.

I still have some paper mailorder catalogs from the likes of labels such as Epitaph (or when Anti- handled all their mailorder), Fat Wreck, Tooth & Nail, Victory, and a couple others all from 1996-2000. If you compare the prices, it was usually as such:

Average price of a CD: $10-$12

Average price of a vinyl 12" LP: $8

7" prices were still $3-$4 so they haven't gone up by much.

It's just funny to compare to now when the average price of a (new/not used or discounted) 12" LP these days can be anywhere from the $10-$18 range. Granted, no doubt this has to do with vinyl being more costly to press than CD's and possibly due to it's rise in popularity over the years, but it's just ironic when you see/read about how much money folks on this board alone drop on records now. I for a fact know one of the reasons I started buying vinyl as a teen was because it was cheaper than CD's.

Just something interesting to think about.

LPs from my old label in the mid/late 90s were 6.00 ppd.

Rising manufacturing costs and constant postal rate increases aren't helping much.

I remember being able to read a review, stick 3 dollars in an envelope and get a new 7" back a few weeks later.

It was always so exciting buying a record like that solely based on a review or catalog description. Waiting weeks for it to arrive, never knowing what to expect until you played the record. That was always a fun experience that kids these days will never have.

Guest genericinsight

LPs from my old label in the mid/late 90s were 6.00 ppd.

Rising manufacturing costs and constant postal rate increases aren't helping much.

I forgot about the postage rates continually going up. No doubt that's a factor for sure.

I've lost count of how many times I sent money orders in envelopes to labels for records. I never sent cash at risk of it getting lost in the mail.

What's funny is the internet did exist then, but I don't know how many people had jumped on the ordering online bandwagon yet. Most label websites didn't have a webstore.

I remember being able to read a review, stick 3 dollars in an envelope and get a new 7" back a few weeks later.

It was always so exciting buying a record like that solely based on a review or catalog description. Waiting weeks for it to arrive, never knowing what to expect until you played the record. That was always a fun experience that kids these days will never have.

i'm going to do this one day. just you watch.