post your set-up thread

My first post here, You guys have some awesome set-ups!
Heres my first set-up that im still running on, Im about to start upgrading it all but trying to find the room for it right now.
Actually sounds pretty good in my bedroom plus im a basshead so the sub with the surround is very nice! haha

2lkvb4p.jpg

v3m1yh.jpg

347cwaf.jpg

242h4wj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have a pair of monoblocks on loan from local dealer.  Its been about a week of listening and now I'm tipping on the verge of purchasing.

These are solid state monoblocks that do not sound like tubes OR solidstate amplification.  It has tonality of tubes but speed and precision of solid state amps.

Talking to the wife...she doesn't understand why on earth I need two sets of amplifiers! Here they are....Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2 SE.

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp212812.shtml

IMG_7393a.jpg

Talking to the wife...she doesn't understand why on earth I need two sets of amplifiers! Here they are....Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2 SE.

A universal problem I find.

I blame it on a lack of training on my part, that said I did catch my wife explaining the merits and reasons for the sprung direct drive turntable I made to her dad so some of it's going in.

Now you just need some new:

sources

interconnects

speakers

speaker cables

speaker feets

amp stands

You forgot the reason for all this madness....you left "music" off your list.

Everything else is covered pretty much.  5 turntables, 13 different cartridges, multiple interconnects (can't count them), 3 sets of speaker cables, umpteen feet (change the sound as needed), hundreds of various tubes (again to change the sound if I want), 4 different amp stands with varying sonic signatures.

Yet, what I really NEED is more music.  Lots of holes in my Jazz collection, Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon, Jimmy Smith....too many holes.  Got suggestions on that?

A universal problem I find.

I blame it on a lack of training on my part, that said I did catch my wife explaining the merits and reasons for the sprung direct drive turntable I made to her dad so some of it's going in.

I'm making a case for the purchase, but she understands where I'm coming from.  She said to me once, that "you work really hard for all of us.  It's ok to spoil yourself.  As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, knock yourself out."

I'm making a case for the purchase, but she understands where I'm coming from.  She said to me once, that "you work really hard for all of us.  It's ok to spoil yourself.  As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, knock yourself out."

That's one of the ones you're supposed to get in writing.

Joking aside I'm lucky enough to be in a similar position now but I do occasionally detect the odd rolling of the eyes when I walk through the door with a big grin on my face and holding either something shiny and expensive or a big bag of records.

Wife No.1 was a completely different story however.

That's one of the ones you're supposed to get in writing.

Joking aside I'm lucky enough to be in a similar position now but I do occasionally detect the odd rolling of the eyes when I walk through the door with a big grin on my face and holding either something shiny and expensive or a big bag of records.

Wife No.1 was a completely different story however.

Ha! I needed that laugh...thanks for that!!

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I moved into a new place last month and I set everything up a few weeks ago after my new turntable came in.  Sounds great!

Admittedly, I was using a Crosley prior to this.  I bought it years ago (2005, 2006?) and it wasn't doing the job.  I've been buying records since then, but couldn't sit back and enjoy them much because of the constant skipping and overall bad sound quality.. not to mention the damage it causes after time.  :o  After educating myself by reading this board constantly, I ordered the U-Turn Orbit in July.  While I was waiting for the U-Turn to be delivered, I had to find a receiver and speakers as well.

The Orbit was upgraded a bit to the acrylic platter and Audio-Technica AT95E cartridge.  The receiver is an Onkyo A-7022 which was made in Japan in the 70's (not sure which year to be exact) and is an integrated amp.  That was purchased on ebay for $60ppd knowing it wasn't going to power on.  For the price, I took the risk and took it to a local electronic repair shop.  He told me it was just the power supply, so it was repaired and cleaned up for about $100.  Lastly, the speakers are Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones speakers.  These are the ones that are usually on sale on Amazon or Newegg.  I bought the pair for $80 on Newegg, free shipping and they sound great!

The shelves are Threshold brand from Target.  If anyone is in the market for shelving, I recommend these 100% especially if you don't have an Ikea close to you.  I personally was never in one, but I know most people go with their shelves.  I initially only bought the center shelf, but picked up the single shelves on each side for the speakers to keep them separate from the turntable.  Plus it gave me storage for books and cds which I needed.

I found that basket at the bottom at Target, fits 7"s really well.  I saw a thread a little while ago about 7" storage and this holds 100+.

1926914_10152304256446401_17350133893118

10659377_10152304256436401_4480649075088

10370982_10152304256451401_1752071732035

10421479_10152304256516401_9034637931341

10653523_10152304256466401_8659713655137

I was going to say something similar.

It seems that a lot of people with Crosley's or similarly shitty record players have a "oh, I'm sorry I don't have $1000 to spend on a record player" attitude. bhoussock proves that with smaller budget you can still get some nice gear.