post your set-up thread

Started with a cheap, crappy MCS integrated amp from the 80s and a couple of awful pawn shop Sony tower speakers a year or so ago. Records stored on a converted wal-mart bookshelf. Now I'm finally here

2014_12_31_22_43_31.jpg

IKEA Kallax

Marantz 2275 Amp

Dual 1229 Turntable

Klipsch Cornwalls

Red and yellow roses as a cheesy and shameless attempt to lessen the blow for the wife who knew I was buying speakers but was unaware of the size lol.

I just thought they made pretty much all of them in black, just smaller quantities. Do you know these off the top of your head, or is there a place to check for the info? Semi-related, there was I site I always visited for info on vintage marantz models, they had a comprehensive list all divided nicely into categories, but I recently tried to find it and it seems to be gone. So bummed about that... There's still classicaudio.com, but it's much harder to navigate and seems to be less detailed on the info front.

Dude that's the one I was looking for!! I googled for it today like crazy and nothing came up, I even googled "classic-audio" with the hyphen and everything, no luck. But I didn't actually try it in the address bar because I was sure I remembered the name wrong...  :unsure:

Anyway, I fail at searching apparently. :D

Happy New Year to all of you!

Been lurking here for a while now and decided to take the plunge.  Looking for advice on where to go with upgrades for my current piecemeal set up.  Everything was kind of purchased backwards to solve specific needs but I won't bore you with it.  2015 is the year to get this in order and I need your help.  Here is what I got

-Stanton T62 TT(i know this needs to go)  Budget here up to 1kUSD

-ARTDJ Pre 2 ( I know this needs to go)  Like to stay in the 1k with TT if possible

-Denon AVR 1912 reciever

-PSB Image B6 bookshelf speakers(pair)

-Acoustech PL-200 sub

I'm happy with the sound of this MOST of the time. Just really intrigued on what it could be with a little $ and smart investing.

We are about 80% Vinyl and 20% digital music these days with very little care about the TV/Movie sound.  Sounds fine the way it is to us as we don't do a lot of tv.

As for the sub, I do like bass in my music so i'd want to keep that included.

Super excited to hear your suggestions and to be a part of the forum.

Thanks in advance!

just wanted to say - I have regularly lurked this thread for a long long time - always had more money tied up in other things and neglected a nice home setup for records.   had been using  a cheapo $15 thrifted 80s yorx all in one  with a wanna be slide out record tray in the bottom of it for the past 7 years.

almost died earlier this year and spent too long recovering  decided I'd start the process of putting together our system this year. had been scouring second hand and picking and choosing things as we can on a budget.  will be upgrading over the next year.  no good place to set it all up but will post a photo when i can soon!

currently using:

Denon AVR-2000 receiver ($40 in like new condition, flawless w/ remote)

Denon DRM 700A tape deck (early 90s 3 head unit) $8 same as above.  thrift store for this, estate sell a few months later for the receiver. both were made 90-91 from what I saw - aesthetically look nice paired up.

Teac PX-300 - turntable with the original teac headshell and whatever audio technica cart came with it - my parents old turntable that was well cared for but has been packed away for 20 years. has a NOS replacement cart with it also - still sucking up more info and reading a lot of random forums online to see if its worth bothering switching anything on it or just waiting till I get to upgrade to a nicer TT - but for now this works just fine for my tastes!

pioneer SP-BS22's from amazon (warehouse deal) which are fine for the space/price, then found a pair of KLH 9912B in nice shape and working well for $20 while out hunting things so snagged them - both will be used eventually but in our current house/setup not sure which and how yet.  but for now the KLH's are hooked up.

looking forward to slowly working my way up but compared to what I was using up till a month or two ago?   stoked!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my on-the-way setup, pieced together to fit the needs of our house, my journey into upgrading all my equipment, and generally trying to work around having a lot of records and an 18 month old... (details and context below)

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

So the setup in question:

Vintage JVC QL-F4 Direct Drive with desperately dull Ortofon cartridge from about 10 years back (had a different one in between but got damaged, so went back to this one) [looking to replace this shortly]

NAD PP3i preamp

NAD C326BEE Amp (picked up recently used for $300CDN = $270US).

Bose 201V speakers [need to be replaced shortly too, as I'm not loving them - they were recent hand-me-downs]

And then, as you'll notice the large distance between the TT and the speakers, especially in the third photo. This was the compromise with my wife. We live in a semi-detached house with our 18-month-old son, and currently rent our basement. The living room (far room in third picture) has no floor space and is literally covered with toys (thought not as bad as in picture - he just went to bed so I haven't cleaned up yet), and our dining room (the room with TT and speakers) also opens to the kitchen, and has no other wall space. I tried to negotiate some space for speaker stands, but there really aren't any. There was also no other real surface in the dining room to move the turntable so that it was closer to the speakers. So I ran speaker cable up and around the moulding over the doorframe. You can't really see it in the photos, but there's a cable hiding tube discretely following the down from one side, up and over, and then down on the other side. It has both speaker cables going through.

While this isn't the most ideal setup, it's the one that works the best for now. The speakers face the kitchen, and I love listening while I cook, and often sit at the dining room table to go on my computer. Hopefully someday, when we can afford it, we can no longer have a renter and take over the basement so that I can set up a better spaced system. I know I'm losing quality due to the placement of the speakers on the shelf, as well as even the location in the room, but this is the best I can do for now.

That being said, any suggestions about creatively moving some of the equipment around this space are always appreciated. Or in lieu of that, cat gifs.

I'm new to this forum. This thread seems like a great place for my first post.

My setup is:

Rega P25 w/ Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III cartridge.

Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated amp.

Dynaudio Audience 82 floor standing speakers.

I am using the built in phono stage on the A5. 

I'm very happy with the way things sound. For now :)