NHL Discussion

reuniting Richards and Carter in a city like LA is most likely a horrible idea. Wonder if Sutter can really lay down the hammer and limit their partying. And plus, giving up Johnson and a pick for him is pretty high.

Pretty interesting stat regarding this trade

In the 12 games since the Jeff Carter trade, the Kings have totaled 42 goals (not counting a goal awarded for a shootout win), for an average of 3.5 goals per game. Before the trade, the Kings averaged 2.03 goals per game.

Offense significantly improved and the defense is still at the top of the league. It's a small sample size but so far they look like the team every one predicted them to be at the start of the season. Carter has brought Richards out of his funk and opened up so much space for Kopitar.

im sure la can handle any partying they do. philly is a small city and the flyers are THE team until the baseball starts heating up down the stretch so they get much more publicity. la has the lakers taking that spot.

also, the scoring within a small sample size will probably continue, the main reason the flyers were so good during the regular season last year was running 3 scoring lines, most teams only have a pair of shutdown d-men so it forces them to split up d pairings or focus on the biggest threat, thus making the other players more effective at scoring.

the only real issue i ever had with carts was his ability to shoot high and to the right at key times.

Predictions for the 7th and 8th spot in each conference? This playoff race is crazy and we've only got a few games to go.

EAST

7. Ottawa

8. Buffalo

(Although, I would love nothing more than to see Winnipeg make it. I don't think Washington has it in them in this final stretch)

WEST

7. Phoenix

8. Colorado

(I would love to see Colorado do it. I got to watch Landeskog in the OHL and it's great to see him doing so well now. REALLY do not want the Sharks to make it, fuck them)

SJ, Dallas, Phoenix and L.A. all play eachother a bunch of times over the last 8/9 games so whoever fares better in those matches is gonna come away with the Pacific. I don't see Colorado making it. They've already played 2 more games than everyone else and are tied for points with the 8th seed. With 5 games left they'll pretty much have to win out to get in. (I'm guessing 96 points at the cutoff for getting in)

Washington will likely make it. I can't believe Florida is going to win that division though. I don't think Winnepeg will make it but i agree that it would be amazing, with that crowd. I think it'll come down to Ottawa and Buffalo for the 8th seed. Buffalo has been playing so good lately but it's Ottawas to lose.

Sharks beat the Avs 5-1 tonight.

Vancouver beat L.a. 1-0.

Calgary beat Dallas 5-4.

So San Jose now leads the division, with Dallas falling to 7th and L.A. to 9th. Colorado remains in 10th and Calgary in 11th. It's such a great battle right now. 6 teams over 3 playoffs spots though technically one of those spots automatically goes to one of the Pacific teams.

Hard to believe the Sabres were not even sniffing a playoff spot at the beginning of February. What a turnaround. I wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs. I could see them knocking off a Boston or a Florida.

Some big games tonight. L.A. vs. Calgary should be good. 4 of the 5 Pacific teams play. Colorado plays.

I love this time of year.

Hard to believe the Sabres were not even sniffing a playoff spot at the beginning of February. What a turnaround. I wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs. I could see them knocking off a Boston or a Florida.

Some big games tonight. L.A. vs. Calgary should be good. 4 of the 5 Pacific teams play. Colorado plays.

I love this time of year.

Miller has been unbelieveable in March, 10-1-2. It's nice to see Stafford and Ennis finally decided to turn it on.

I think as late as Feb 17th they were sitting in dead last in the East. They're unbelievable since the all-star break.

Lots of small adjustments. Ennis went to center and has been doing well with Foligno who was called up and has been nothing but energy. Tropp has shown that he can be a Kaleta-style banger and put the puck in the net, too. This has opened up space for Vanek, and Hodgson in there as the new guy was quite the spark for the offense. Roy getting away from Vanek was probably a plus, too, which put Pomminville with Leino on Roy's line, which hasn't produced a ton, but they've been playing well.

The 4th line of Boyes / Kaleta / McCormick is so hodge-podge but it's working well.

Defense is lights-out lately. Sulzer, an assumed throw-away trade, has been a defensive stud. As long as the D plays well until Erhoff bounces back, they should be in great shape.

This team, the last month, is what the 2011-2012 Sabres should've been all along.