NHL Discussion

holy shit

Two teams in dire need of a shakeup have done just that, as the Calgary Flames have shipped defenceman Dion Phaneuf, forward Fredrik Sjostrom, and defenceman Keith Aulie to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forwards Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White.

I'm sure finger will be waived or cut

I agree.

I never thought I'd see Dion Phaneuf in Blue and White.

Or Giggy back with Allaire, for that matter.

I think the leafs are going to be turning around soon... may have lost some of their goal scoring.... but that can be replaced. tough to replace defensemen and goaltenders. good moves, in my mind, for the leafs.

Burke just keeps screwing up with trades he is honestly running Toronto into the gutter.

With Carolina being the only cushion between Toronto and the cellar of the East, you mean to tell me we weren't already there? This is probably the biggest cap era trade we've seen. Calgary gets better instantly and Toronto gets a young, elite defenseman that needed a change of scenery anyway after J-Bo rolled into town. Everyone wins.

I think what all of the commentators missed in all of this is that Burke effectively hedged himself from losing the draft picks in the Kessel deal, and moreover gained a big edge developmentally. Phaneuf, Sjostrom, and Giguere are all first round picks, two of them being young (Phaneuf is 24, Sjostrom is 26) and the other one has a ring and a full trophy case.

I'm curious to see what happens with Kaberle. Burke is adamant he won't ask him to move, but I'm wondering if he won't just offer to jump ship for a few select destinations...

I'm shocked Burke was able to package toskala AND Blake to get a good goalie and a first round pick.

Sure, now the only person who can score is kessell but it's not like they were pushing for playoffs/cup this year anyway.

I think today is the rebirth of the leafs, it's easy to fill in scoring in the offseason an maybe next year

not only did he get rid of Blake he also didn't have to give up much for panuef. I'm doing some reading and I read that if the leafs don't make the playoffs kaberle losses his NTC in the summer, that's how you get some young scoring, plus free agents. Great day for Toronto IMO

Actually...

About that trade...

There’s a reason it hasn’t been announced, and probably won’t be announced tonight; a reason (probably) that Higgins was on the ice at the end of the game, and a reason the MSG voices aren’t saying anything about the TSN reports of Kotalik and Higgins for Jokinen and Prust.

And that reason, I’ve been told, is that the complications that arose last night are still not yet resolved.

Wonder if that has to do with Kotalik’s NMC. Wonder if Kotalik won’t go to Calgary, or not right now—ultimately he will, for $6+ million reasons.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2010/01/31/about-that-trade/

I'm shocked Burke was able to package toskala AND Blake to get a good goalie and a first round pick.

Sure, now the only person who can score is kessell but it's not like they were pushing for playoffs/cup this year anyway.

I think today is the rebirth of the leafs, it's easy to fill in scoring in the offseason an maybe next year

not only did he get rid of Blake he also didn't have to give up much for panuef. I'm doing some reading and I read that if the leafs don't make the playoffs kaberle losses his NTC in the summer, that's how you get some young scoring, plus free agents. Great day for Toronto IMO

Burke builds his teams from the net out he says, which is exactly what he's working on doing.

Giggy is a good goalie who hasn't played well of late and wanted to be a number one. He loves Allaire, that's the only reason he accepted a deal to Toronto. The Ducks took what they could get for the guy and would have given him away both out of loyalty and because they need cap relief.

first round pick as well? where did you hear this? i thought we just got giguere (which is enough anyhow).

So Toronto a lottery pick team that is rebuilding has no first rounder Burke is doing a stellar job acquiring an overrated d-man that does not play defence and a goalie that is past his prime. Toronto better hope Burke is not done the forwards are no where near where they should be and Burke should be looking to move up in the standing this season and next since he has no picks.

Now not to just bash Toronto Calgary are treading a even worse path if the large amount of player movement results in lack of chemistry for the team. They are not a team that is rebuilding but in a win now mode and have so far only done lateral or lower value deals we should see them make a big deal for an impact player or i predict another early exit for them.