NHL Discussion

Hey, I hold nothing against them on the prices. You charge what you need to charge. They could probably raise the price and sell the ticket. I just think you price out families when your cheap seats are $40. That said, when Gretzky came to town for good I have no recollection, being that I was all of 8, as to what ticket prices did.

Looking at the chart, I'm quite proud to be a Kings fan. At least we lower prices when we're not that good.

Although Toronto DID lower their prices a bit, they're still far and away the most expensive in the league.

Kings could have a breakout year this season coming. Should be a bit more exciting for you at the very least.

As for Toronto - another season or two before I start expecting anything.

Looking at the chart, I'm quite proud to be a Kings fan. At least we lower prices when we're not that good.

Although Toronto DID lower their prices a bit, they're still far and away the most expensive in the league.

Kings could have a breakout year this season coming. Should be a bit more exciting for you at the very least.

As for Toronto - another season or two before I start expecting anything.

Honestly, I think we need to make a trade to bring in a sniper or we'll be incrementally better unless Kopitar makes his leap next year. Then we could get a lot better quick.

Just watched the Emery/Flyers press conference from today, granted, only time will tell, but he seems like he's learned from his mistakes, and ready to man up and just play hockey. The dude has a lot of talent, just needs to keep himself under control, which I think he will. He probably knows this will more than likely be his last chance.

Very curious to see who will drop $4-$5 million on Biron.

Stars just canned their coach and Francois Allaire, goaltending coach extraordinaire is now with the Leafs.

Toronto is starting to wise up a little and spend money on their staff and executives where there is no cap.

I guess getting the best money can buy off the ice will translate into the best money can't buy on the ice . Or at least that's the theory, anyway.

Just watched the Emery/Flyers press conference from today, granted, only time will tell, but he seems like he's learned from his mistakes, and ready to man up and just play hockey. The dude has a lot of talent, just needs to keep himself under control, which I think he will. He probably knows this will more than likely be his last chance.

Very curious to see who will drop $4-$5 million on Biron.

Everyone seems like an angel when it's time to get a new job or sit in front of a judge.

But only time will tell, you're right.

I think it's going to bust, myself. But I could be wrong.

I would say Emery @ 1.5 is way better than Biron at near 5

I absolutely agree. No way I would ever be behind giving Biron that much money. I was never really a fan to begin with, so now that he wants to be highly overpaid.. that much more glad he's gone.

also, Niittymaki's hip hasn't gotten any worse over the last year, and they're still in talks with his agent about possibly keeping him as backup, which I am pretty happy about.

If the Coyotes move to Hamilton, that's the beginning of the end for the Sabres. There's a million other places in Canada - pick one of them. Why put it so close to two other franchises, especially one that has a history of financial trouble to begin with?

I'd like to see a stat on how many people actually come across the border to games.

Probably not that many. And if it is that many, it's just as sad.

Don't blame Canada.

Here's a neat chart that shows average ticket prices around the league since the mid 90's.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/index.php/site/comments/nhl_average_ticket_prices_since_1994_95/

lol @ leafs fans. they are the dumbest shit on the planet. they pay the most to see one of the worst teams around. such stupid cattle.

it's a shame for the rest of us who live in the GTA and want to see an NHL game though.

If the Coyotes move to Hamilton, that's the beginning of the end for the Sabres. There's a million other places in Canada - pick one of them. Why put it so close to two other franchises, especially one that has a history of financial trouble to begin with?

I'd like to see a stat on how many people actually come across the border to games.

Probably not that many. And if it is that many, it's just as sad.

Don't blame Canada.

A LOT of people from southern ontario drive down to buffalo for games. the tickets are cheaper than a leafs game and they're easier to get.

A LOT of people from southern ontario drive down to buffalo for games. the tickets are cheaper than a leafs game and they're easier to get.

I'll wait for a stat, thanks.

And A LOT doesn't mean anything. 1000 people is A LOT of people. Enough to make or break a franchise -- probably not.

And I don't bash your taste in hockey franchises. Don't bash mine.

Show some respect. This isn't 4chan.

And regarding the potential locations in Canada bit -- there really aren't that many spots at all that would be suitable.

St. Paul is the US city with the smallest population that has an NHL Franchise -- The Wild. Their population is about 277,000 or so. This doesn't include Minneapolis, either -- a short drive away. The second smallest is Newark, but given proximity to NYC, it shouldn't count. Third smallest is Buffalo. With nothing really of substance around it in NY State, it is a self contained franchise that imports some of its fans from Southern Ontario.

That said, if you use the 277k as a floor for population of a metro area for franchise viability, that would limit the number of Canadian cities to 18. And I was generous and made the Canadian floor at 200,000 since it is more of a national sport and support shouldn't be that large of a concern. Really, it's only 16. As follows:

Toronto/Mississauga (has a team)

Montreal (has a team)

Vancouver (has a team)

Ottawa (has a team)

Calgary (has a team)

Edmonton (has a team)

Quebec City (HAD a team)

Winnipeg (HAD a team)

Hamilton (Southern Ontario)

London (Southern Ontario)

Kitchener/Waterloo (Southern Ontario)

St. Catharines/Niagra (Southern Ontario)

Halifax (Nova Scotia -- coastal city)

Oshawa/Whitby (Southern Ontario -- 30 mins from Toronto)

Victoria (British Columbia -- ferry ride from Vancouver)

Windsor (Southern Ontario)

Saskatoon (Saskatchewan)

Regina (Saskatchewan)

So if you eliminate the cities that already had franchises that failed and all of those in Southern Ontario due to proximity to Buffalo and Detroit, that leaves a grand total of FOUR possible locations -- two of which have populations lower than that of St. Paul (and both of those are desolate locations, I might add). Halifax isn't a hockey city, and Victoria is a ferry ride away from Vancouver.

So, what, no more hockey for Canada? Because Buffalo can't support it's own team?

Hardly seams fair.

And A LOT doesn't mean anything. 1000 people is A LOT of people. Enough to make or break a franchise -- probably not.

honestly dude. leafs fans bitch and bitch and bitch about having a shit team. yet they still empty their pockets to sell out every home game. if you were management why would you change shit. you're putting in minimum effort to get a huge pay cheque. if leafs fans were smart they'd stop buying the tickets to send a message that the management needs to change what they're doing. but they don't. they just get raped up the ass for tickets then bitch that their team is crap.

don't hold your breath on crime being respectful to anyone about hockey when its:

a.) not championing the detroit red wings

or

b.) not championing the detroit red wings

he obviously knows everything about hockey being almost 30 as he claimed a few pages ago and from canada.

and you're still a virgin.

honestly dude. leafs fans bitch and bitch and bitch about having a shit team. yet they still empty their pockets to sell out every home game. if you were management why would you change shit. you're putting in minimum effort to get a huge pay cheque. if leafs fans were smart they'd stop buying the tickets to send a message that the management needs to change what they're doing. but they don't. they just get raped up the ass for tickets then bitch that their team is crap.

I don't bitch.

You're the only one doing that.

If anything, Leafs fans are optimistic to a fault.