NHL Discussion

I'm sure Ray Emery will be the savior in net the Flyers need, fo shizzle.

depending on how much his contract is Emery could be a huge pick up for philly, if he's able to return to form and play like he did in 50-06 and 06-07.

rumored at $1.5, and that Biron wants around triple that figure. so fuck him, glad he's going.

I'm sure Ray Emery will be the savior in net the Flyers need, fo shizzle.

depending on how much his contract is Emery could be a huge pick up for philly, if he's able to return to form and play like he did in 50-06 and 06-07.

And what form was that? Narrowly avoiding a sweep by Buffalo in the 2nd round? Not winning the cup? All this on an Ottawa team that, arguably, had much more talent than Philadelphia does currently.

You're right. That's huge.

Just not for Philadelphia.

yeah, i've noticed that as well. i get nbc on channel 10 and 11 and the game is fine on the second one.

btw, i don't understand why this game is tonight rather than last night? i have a feeling the ratings are going to be dreadful.

also - i am really excited about the emery signing for a few reasons...

1) this years free agent goalie lot leaves a whole lot to be desired.

2) next years is awesome, so if emery doesn't work out we can grab one next summer

3) emery is going to sign for one year for about 1.5 mill

4) he has loads of talent and is young

5) he will bring some attitude and spark to the locker room, which the flyers team lacked as evidenced most in game 6 against pitt.

6) this frees up a ton of money to go after pronger, JBO, anyone! we could get 1 or 2 great Defensemen and depending on who they can get a top three of kimo, JBO, coburn rivals anyone in the league and probably beats every team other than the wings.

all in all if this contract is a one year 1.5 million dollar deal is a HUGE win/win for the flyers and emery. i love it.

yeah, i've noticed that as well. i get nbc on channel 10 and 11 and the game is fine on the second one.

btw, i don't understand why this game is tonight rather than last night? i have a feeling the ratings are going to be dreadful.

2) next years is awesome, so if emery doesn't work out we can grab one next summer

5) he will bring some attitude and spark to the locker room, which the flyers team lacked as evidenced most in game 6 against pitt.

6) this frees up a ton of money to go after pronger, JBO, anyone! we could get 1 or 2 great Defensemen and depending on who they can get a top three of kimo, JBO, coburn rivals anyone in the league and probably beats every team other than the wings.

all in all if this contract is a one year 1.5 million dollar deal is a HUGE win/win for the flyers and emery. i love it.

1. This is true.

2. This also appears to be true...as of today. But things have a habit of changing during the course of a 14 month span.

3. So would Nittymaki, Clemmensen, and Raycroft. I would strongly consider all of these over Emery if only counting on services for one season that didn't include winning a cup. Especially since he wasn't even in the league this season. And the KHL doesn't compare in caliber of play, no.

4. So does Andrew Raycroft. He won a Calder Trophy, and has similar career save percentage and GAA stats as Emery. Unlike Emery, he practices regularly and doesn't have a tattoo that says "Anger is a Gift". Not to mention Raycroft played on some pretty miserable teams in Toronto and his final year in Boston, unlike Emery who played for the best team, top 3 at least, in the league for a few years.

5. Since you like to quote other people rather than form your own opinions -- here's something from the Wiki entry for Ray Emery. It's regarding the time he spent in Russia in 2008.

"During a game in which he was pulled following the first period, team doctor Roman Sokolov attempted to put a hat on Emery's head. Resisting the action, the two engaged in a verbal dispute which resulted in Emery attacking Sokolov once, and upon being restrained by teammates, chasing him down to assault him a second time."

I suppose this qualifies as "attitude and spark". "Cancer" would be a better term, though.

6. Or you could get none. Speculating gets you nowhere. Just ask John Ferguson Jr.

This is a HUGE win alright. For some of the other teams in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference in general. I love it.

1. This is true.

2. This also appears to be true...as of today. But things have a habit of changing during the course of a 14 month span.

3. So would Nittymaki, Clemmensen, and Raycroft. I would strongly consider all of these over Emery if only counting on services for one season that didn't include winning a cup. Especially since he wasn't even in the league this season. And the KHL doesn't compare in caliber of play, no.

4. So does Andrew Raycroft. He won a Calder Trophy, and has similar career save percentage and GAA stats as Emery. Unlike Emery, he practices regularly and doesn't have a tattoo that says "Anger is a Gift". Not to mention Raycroft played on some pretty miserable teams in Toronto and his final year in Boston, unlike Emery who played for the best team, top 3 at least, in the league for a few years.

5. Since you like to quote other people rather than form your own opinions -- here's something from the Wiki entry for Ray Emery. It's regarding the time he spent in Russia in 2008.

"During a game in which he was pulled following the first period, team doctor Roman Sokolov attempted to put a hat on Emery's head. Resisting the action, the two engaged in a verbal dispute which resulted in Emery attacking Sokolov once, and upon being restrained by teammates, chasing him down to assault him a second time."

I suppose this qualifies as "attitude and spark". "Cancer" would be a better term, though.

6. Or you could get none. Speculating gets you nowhere. Just ask John Ferguson Jr.

This is a HUGE win alright. For some of the other teams in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference in general. I love it.

2) okay...sure things change. but the fact remains next years goalie class will be better than this years no matter what. there are some goalies who (if they aren't traded) will for sure be a FA

3) Nittymaki, Clemmensen, and Raycroft aren't in the same class as emery skill wise. also nitty's hip is beyond repair. he had his chance to take the job this year but his hip is too f'd up

4) yeah, but that doesn't take away from the fact that emery is skilled. how much is raycroft making? would he sign for one year at 1.5?

5) "Since you like to quote other people rather than form your own opinions" ??????? what??

i would love someone with a firey personalty on the flyers team, hopefully it rubs off on some of the other guys on the team.

6) "Or you could get none." i'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen. i mean, the whole point in getting emery is to free up money to go after a dman. flyers and JBO have been rumored for a long time.

overall - i think this is a HUGE win for the flyers as long as a top line dman comes along in another trade or FA signing. and, like i've said...if emery doesn't work out the flyers can cut him and trade for a goalie at the deadline, or get a new one next season.

i love the risk if it means getting a top line dman as well.

JBO has been rumored to every team imaginable. Don't put too much stock in any of that.

yes true, but at this point i'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't end up in edmonton or philly. who really knows though.

i go back and forth between wanting JBO on the flyers over someone like pronger. both bring a very different set of positives and negatives

know what was awesome? watching game 6 tonight in the airport terminal after landing with 10 minutes left. so awesome. watched the entire series so far in california, get to watch game 7 in erie during my bayside show. bringing a couple TV's so I don't have to worry about missing anything. been a killer series, met a lot of really nice people in california watching these games, watched the game 5 massacre in san fran at the primanti bro's rip off bar in china town.. got really drunk, ate some mediocre chinese food and managed to get back to our rental car just as the tow truck was about to put the towbar under our tires. what a good time this series has been.