NHL Discussion

It's in no one's best interests for this sort of nonsensical contract shit to go on, so the league NEEDS to be harsh with it.

Maybe the league should have thought about this when drafting up the current CBA. If no one saw this as a possibility then it's their own fault. If I was a GM, I'd be doing this with my star players as well.

Which, while poorly done, the league did. They covered their asses by saying that they had the power to reject contracts that deliberately circumvent the cap. They just forgot to enforce it until the problem was too big.

When the next lock-out / strike comes, and it's coming, the league better learn from this and be very strict and very explicit with what it means by that. If you're a GM doing this with your stars, you're going to end up wasting a shit-ton of money at the end of players' careers which tips the scales heavily in the favor of the players. That's not a bad thing until they all end up holding out for money every chance they can. The first arbitration case out of the lock-out, Briere's, really skewed salaries in the first place which re-shot contracts up instantly. Then when anyone tried to de-escalate the problem, players thought they were getting shortchanged and now here we are with absurd contracts again. What was the last lock-out all about?

The players who demand these contracts are going to win out in the short run, but the league can't sustain that.

They did also include the "over 35" clause to help prevent it, but I assume they never expected these lengthy contracts to start showing up.

With the PA picking up Donald Fehr to right their ship, there's going to be plenty of hardball played with the next CBA. I doubt he's going to blink at this first act of aggression from the NHL brass.

If you're looking to win now and build the strongest team possible, you find ways to make it fit. If that means paying you end up paying more money for a 40 year old 12 years down the road, you do it. If I were a player, I'd be more concerned about the decent 3rd and 4th liners getting squeezed out out of the league due to cap constraints.

Vancouver could easily run a salary budget of $70 million and Chicago wouldn't have dumped off half their team if it wasn't for the salary cap and the revenue sharing. Perhaps if the NHL would deal with the franchises that are hemorrhaging money, the league wouldn't need to deal with these ridiculous contracts.

Chicago wouldn't keep that team for long regardless of the cap - they're fucked financially anyway and if they broke even this year, it wasn't by much. They could raise ticket prices (more than they are), but then everyone would bitch.

Basically what I'm gathering from you is, "if you can do it, do it! Who cares what the long-term effects are?" I think that's irresponsible for the health of the league, especially in a time where USA Hockey is growing (the program, not the sport) to finally give the sport a bump up to it's legitimate big-4 seat (though still easily at #4 in the power rankings). It should be like the EA Sports version of NHL - 6-year max contracts. Or make the cap hit real $$ instead of this average cost bullshit. EVERY team is hedging the future with front-loaded contracts, they just aren't all dramatic. They need to get rid of the idea completely, not decide when it's gone too far.

Or one-year contracts are all you can sign.

Eh, Chicago's doing better than Florida and their "You name your price" ticket deal, but that's not the issue.

A GM's job is to win. A GM can see these long term contracts and the possible negative effects, but if other GM's are taking advantage of this loophole and winning and said GM is losing, then he's out of a job. It is the league and the BOG to ensure the health of the league and if no one in their collective wisdom was able to go, "shit, maybe we should look at capping contract lengths", that's not the GM's fault. Is it irresponsible? I suppose so, but find me an altruistic GM. The league wants to rewrite the CBA during the middle of it, but what concessions are they going to give to patch this hole up?

Guest kylewilliam

cannot wait for hockey season, i feel like this is going to be a huge year for a lot of smaller clubs... theres a lot of CBA uncertainty and everyone really needs to prove their worth, especially with so many good players still unsigned. i can see teams like edmonton, florida, and toronto suprising a lot of people... maybe not making a flyers-style run to the cup, but 2 of those 3 teams will make the playoffs, id bet on it.

Oilers have a chance depends on which rookies make the team and how they perform could be the Avalanche of this year.

Considering they lost like 500 man games last year, they have a decent opportunity to catch some teams sleeping. Especially so if Hall and Eberle click at the NHL level.

Hall is almost a sure thing but Eberle still has a chance to be sent down. Steve Tambelini is amking sure not to rush any kids into the NHL and Eberle still has not played a full season in the AHL. Magnus also has a chance of making the team along with fellow Swedish born player Linus Omark. Exciting times for the Oilers right now.

Guest kylewilliam

i read a really good article a little while ago about how eberle has nothing left to prove at the juniors/minor league level, and i agree. he has shown he has the power, build, and poise of an nhl player, this year will be his year to prove it. i think he has a roster spot but edmonton doesn't want to say so. they probably have the deepest well of young talent of any team, because theyve been so bad, and it is this and next year where we will see if low draft picks and scouting paid off.