NHL Discussion

So it seems the NHL is more or less the same as it was before the lockout and salary cap, doesn't it? Players are still getting overpaid in relation to what they are actually worth, and players are still regularly signing near or over $100 million dollar contracts, only now because of the cap the managers have to be more creative with how the money is spread over years, so they just add more years at next to no cap hit.

How is Kovalchuk's 17 year, $150 million deal somehow better than Yashin's 10 year, $85 million dollar deal that made everyone freak out and made me lose a year of hockey?

Hahahaha that Gagne trade is shotgun suicide worthy if you're a Flyers fan. That is so fucking brutal. Matt Walker and a FOURTH? You couldn't get a fucking 2nd rounder out of that? Matt Walker is a 7th D-Man on a decent team. Gagne is a top 6 forward. Totally insane.

Kovalchuk's deal is 17 years, $100MM. LA offered 15 years, $80MM. It is COMPLETELY frontloaded so that Kovalchuk will only be making $750,000 or less after the first ten years. It's obviously designed for him to retire or go play in Europe after age 37. Same as Hossa, Franzen, Keith, etc. Yes, it is a way to circumvent the cap, but shit, the CBA was agreed upon by all parties. If a team wants to frontload contracts like that and basically give the player an INCENTIVE to retire at a certain point (once you've made that much money, it's gotta be tough to play hockey at age 38 when you're only getting $1MM or less to do it despite your huge cap hit), then they are completely entitled to do so. That's the way the cap works. I just wish the Blackhawks had been smart enough to do it when they signed Campbell to that 8 year deal.

The 15 year deal the Islanders gave DiPietro was completely retarded and not designed for him to retire towards the end - he is going to collect $4.5MM (at a $4.5MM cap hit) every year until 2022 whether he can play or not. Hell, he earned $9MM for playing a total of 13 games the last 2 seasons. Eventually, they are going to have to bite the bullet and buy his ass out one of these days. The good news is that the cap hit on the buyout will only be $1.5MM per year. The bad news is that it's going to be on the books until the 2031-2032 season.

So it seems the NHL is more or less the same as it was before the lockout and salary cap, doesn't it? Players are still getting overpaid in relation to what they are actually worth, and players are still regularly signing near or over $100 million dollar contracts, only now because of the cap the managers have to be more creative with how the money is spread over years, so they just add more years at next to no cap hit.

How is Kovalchuk's 17 year, $150 million deal somehow better than Yashin's 10 year, $85 million dollar deal that made everyone freak out and made me lose a year of hockey?

because the contracts were the only reason that you lost a year of hockey ::)

Or it could have had something to do with rapid expansion into non-traditional hockey markets...Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, etc.

Campbell is definitely a valuable player and, at half the price, he'd be worth the money. The problem was that OTHER teams were willing to pay that much or more and the Blackhawks were fucking desperate.

Lawsuit from NHLPA forthcoming. They will win said lawsuit unless the NHL has some way to PROVE that this deal purposefully circumvents the cap. I mean, we all know it does, but can you prove it definitively? This deal will go through, then aside from any that get signed during the year, there will probably never be another deal like this after the new CBA.

I do not think there will be a lawsuit in the current CBA the NHL is allowed to review contracts for this exact reason. I am just wondering why reject it now and not on other such contracts.

I'm pretty sure the rest didn't have a forward under contract until he's well into his 40's.

Gordie is the only one ever to have such longevity. For a D, (ie: Pronger) that isn't beyond the realm of possibility. Given the front load on this, it's pretty easy to figure out the shenanigans involved.

The NHL has the power to REVIEW contracts - but that doesn't mean they have the power to reject them without justification. Unless they can PROVE that Kovalchuk has no intention to play in 2027, the contract will stand. As obvious as it is that those 6 years on the end are bullshit, there is no way to prove that. Based on the Hossa, Franzen, etc. deals, the CBA allows this contract, period. If they have to, the NHLPA will sue.

The NHL has the power to REVIEW contracts - but that doesn't mean they have the power to reject them without justification. Unless they can PROVE that Kovalchuk has no intention to play in 2027, the contract will stand. As obvious as it is that those 6 years on the end are bullshit, there is no way to prove that. Based on the Hossa, Franzen, etc. deals, the CBA allows this contract, period. If they have to, the NHLPA will sue.

This is a bit liberal of an interpretation. Assuming that Kovi will play in 2027 would be, frankly, uncharted territory. There is greater evidence to support that he will not be, and the remuneration is geared as such. You said it yourself -- it's obvious bullshit. Sometimes a spade is a spade and no further evidence is required. If the PA doesn't like it, we may as well kiss another season goodbye.

I'm all for creative tinkering - say a front loaded 6 year contract for a player in his prime to maintain a franchise caliber player -- but beyond that, it's quite ridiculous.

And I think everyone agrees on that.

This offseason has been a fucking turd. Strike that, not even a turd, just a fart. Draft was anti-climactic. Free agency has been shenanigans, stupidity, and LeBron-esque drama. There's nary a good rumor even floating around, damnit!

Boooring.

Now that the WC is done, I pretty much have no interest in sports of any kind at the moment, and even that was a blip on the radar.

Sad.