NHL Discussion

This is probably only interesting to me, but since the NHL adopted the shootout I've wished they would change the scoring system to one that places the same value on EVERY game (each game would be worth 3 points - none of this either 2 or 3 point game crap). Basically it would reward the best teams that take care of business in the 60 minutes, and create a bit of separation in the standings. I believe it's how some Euro leagues also work as well.

But it will probably never happen, because the NHL is content to have this stupid illusion of parity, and more teams bunched up as the season winds down to create the perception of a super-close playoff race for the last spots. So, if the standings reflected 3 pts win, 2 pts OT/SO win, 1 pt OT/SO loss...here's what they'd look like now. Notice that Tampa would leapfrog Montreal and be tops in the league(NYR game in hand though). Tampa actually has 3 more regulation wins(41) than any other team in the league (NYR = 38, Wild and MTL with 36).

At a minimum, the #DishonorForConnor battle would be even more epic than it is now.

----------------------------

Tampa = 138

Montreal = 133

Detroit = 119

Boston = 111

Ottawa = 108

Florida = 106

Toronto = 80

Buffalo = 56

-----------------------------

Rangers = 137

Pittsburgh = 122

Islanders = 126

Washington = 118

Philly = 92

Columbus = 99

New Jersey = 95

Carolina = 86

Nashvile = 132

St Louis = 128

Chicago = 126

Minnesota = 126

Winnipeg = 111

Dallas = 107

Colorado = 96

-----------------------------

Anaheim = 136

Vancouver = 122

Calgary = 113

Los Angeles = 115

San Jose = 111

Edmonton = 66

Arizona = 64

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-radical-proposal-to-destroy-the-nhls-loser-point/

That's a f*cking joke.

One week off, and then he'll be nice and rested for their regular season finale (which could be very meaningful) vs. Calgary.

They could very easily be eliminated by that game.

They have Van, Min, Stl & Col i could see them going 1-3 in that span

Kings have Edm, Col, Van & Edm. which they SHOULD at least go 3-1 and leapfrog the Jets for that wildcard spot and then they finish the season with Cgy and SJ which they need to at least split.

They could very easily be eliminated by that game.

They have Van, Min, Stl & Col i could see them going 1-3 in that span

Kings have Edm, Col, Van & Edm. which they SHOULD at least go 3-1 and leapfrog the Jets for that wildcard spot and then they finish the season with Cgy and SJ which they need to at least split.

True. Kings likely get in at #8, which seems familiar. The playoffs should be unreal this year. So many good teams and it seems wide open. 

I scored work tickets for the Wild/Detroit on Saturday. Should be fun.