What video games have you been playing?

I still don't get the hype on this. Looks like you're just hacking a slashing in a world where the only colors are shades of dark grey.

I don't know what kinds of games you play but bloodborne looks incredible.

And, it's not even close to to a hack and slash considering it is Dark souls. It's not Devil May Cry or bayonetta.

Looks pretty hack and slash to me...I enjoy that shit though.

(I'd consider Dark Souls hack and slash too though...)

:blink:

I mean...what else would it be? If the Diablo franchise is considered a hack 'n' slash RPG, why wouldn't the Dark/Demon Souls games?

To me there are very few types of games:

platformer

Turn based rpg

Action rpg (aka hack and slash in my book)

FPS

Third person shooter (Which almost fits in hack and slash...except you aren't hacking nor are you slashing.)

Strategy

Simulation

Sports

Puzzle

I'm probably forgetting a couple, and some combine genres, but that's about it for me.

I mean genres are loose no matter what we're talking about. Books, music, movies, games...

So, that's fine if you think of it like that. And, initially, hack and slash was synonymous with Action RPG but I think that's very different now. THe way I think about it is Hack and Slash is much more frantic and DPS based, while Action RPGs are more methodical. 

All you do in hack and slashes like Diablo, Bayonetta, DMC is spam every button and move combo you can as fast as you can to kill before you're killed.

Dark Souls is totally different and most battles deal with 1-4 enemies at most at a time and the damage per second output of your character is almost never relevant to HOW you battle. Shielding, rolling, positioning, kiting, etc. none of those are really used in hack and slashes as I see them (unless you are playing at a ridiculous difficulty level) where you jump into a group of enemies and spam abilities and combos until everyone is dead.

I mean, calling souls hack n slash, isn't really completely accurate. Souls games, I guess are action RPG with crushing difficulty.  Difficulty doesn't dictate genre, well at least not yet, but maybe it could become a type of genre.  There's way more to the Souls battle system than just mash X, then super move.  Hack n Slash games are more like Drakengard where you can get away with never using the block button until you get to a tough boss.  Don't get me wrong, I like hack n slash games too, I just don't think souls fits the bill.

I dunno I just think that calling Souls hack n slash just because there's sword-melee is kind of like saying any game where you use a sword is hack n slash.  If someone came out with a full on fencing sim, you wouldn't say it's a hack n slash.  And you don't use just swords, so if you're a caster is it still hack n slash?  (Cast n slash?) How about a game like Skyrim?  You use swords (and magic and bows) but I don't think anyone would call TES games hack n slash.  Is it just because Souls is decidedly 3rd person perspective?

To me it's kinda like pigeonholing any game where you can use a gun as a 'shooter.'  Like the Metal Gear Solid franchise, for example are stealth games, not shooters.  Revengeance would be an example of a hack n slash.

Genres are a tough thing to nail down though, and same goes for music, and everything else like Goose said.  You can't always easily fit things into one box.  I always appreciate when things aren't as easy to categorize.  I'm playing Dark Souls II right now, building up a new char to go through the 3 DLCs with.  I don't see it as a hack n slash because you have to suss things out, often avoid enemies/taking damage, memorize enemy attack patterns and streamline your approach, where to me, hack n slash is usually headfirst straight into battle with no hesitation.  I guess the attack pattern thing applies there in boss battles, but that's in pretty much any game where you fight things. Souls games have their own unique flavor for what they are.

I dunno, it's hard to explain.  Did you play through the souls games yourself?  I could see maybe not making the distinction if you'd never had hands-on experience with them.  Or hadn't played at least 1 game in the series in depth.  If you watch videos, or look at screenshots, or just pick it up for a minute and put it down, I could see how it could come off as more of a hack n slash that way.

So, we're finally getting near the land of milk and honey in PS4 world. What are you guys looking forward to?

I have more games that I want than I probably should buy.

October

Alien: Isolation 10/7

The Evil Within 10/14

Lords of the Fallen 10/28

November

Far Cry 4 11/18

Dragon Age: Inquisition 11/18

January

Dying Light 1/27

February

BLOOOODBOOORNNNEEE 2/6

Evolve 2/10

Witcher 3: 2/24

April

Mortal Kombat X 4/14

Hot damn.

I am really looking forward to Shadow of Mordor. Especially since the reviews I have read were really positive. Also Sunset Overdrive. I don't know something about Jet Set Radio with guns is appealing to me. Outside of that pretty much everything on your list is what I am waiting for.

I guess I forgot to add that games can be a combination of those genres? There is definitely bleed over between them and it certainly is hard to pin most recent games in any one genre.

Yeah if I was gonna pin souls to 1 genre I would say it's mainly RPG, I guess.  It's got some other elements for sure though, even some MMO-lite with the online play.

Straight up hack n slash would be like Dynasty Warriors.

I guess I forgot to add that games can be a combination of those genres? There is definitely bleed over between them and it certainly is hard to pin most recent games in any one genre.

Yeah if I was gonna pin souls to 1 genre I would say it's mainly RPG, I guess.  It's got some other elements for sure though, even some MMO-lite with the online play.

Straight up hack n slash would be like Dynasty Warriors.

Might be worth noting though, that based on what I've read online, Bloodborne might actually turn out to be more of a hack n slash and less of an RPG than Souls.  We'll have to wait and see to find out, but it might be fair to say that Bloodborne is decidedly more of a HnS.