Dating a Girl Who Smokes: Could You Look Past It?

Hell no. Don't get me wrong, I have friends who smoke, and I don't care whatsoever what anyone wants to do to there own body, it's not my place to judge. However, I personally hate the smell of cigarette smoke when it's in hair, clothes, and furniture, and cigarette breath is nasty IMHO. Therefore, someone who reaks of smoke is unattractive to me. Also, looking from a long term perspective, I don't want to have to take care of someone 40 years down the road with emphysema and lung cancer. This happened to my best friend's dad, and it was fucking terrible for everyone.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care. If you like someone enough it seems silly to not be with them because of a habit that doesn't change who they are. I could understand not dating a massive drunk or a stoner, but no one gets abusive because they've been smoking too much. Relationships are about accepting who the one you love is, and discounting everyone who smokes seems silly.

This.

If a guy smokes that isn't a deal breaker for me and I don't smoke. If a guy is amazing enough as a person and he cares about me, smoking isn't going to keep me from being with him.

i wouldn't be able to only because im highly allergic to cigarette smoke. i found that out in 6th grade when my friend stole his dads pack of cigarettes and we smoked one (and passed it around, hhaha) on a nature trail. that was a bad day.

but i dont mind smokers whatsoever. if i didnt have allergies, i couldnt see it bothering me. smoking inside kinda sucks, and im glad they banned it in bars (in NY) so i can enjoy a show without my throat closing up, but whatever.. do what you gotta do. i in no way see it as disrespecting yourself or the people around you. i think thats pretty fucking extreme... but i guess thats just one opinion.

if you like her, go for it.

I just find smoking cigarettes to be unattractive. I smoke pot, so maybe I shouldn't have much of an opinion, but I just find that there's no point to smoking something without a benefit (I know it sounds like an excuse, but I mostly smoke to help with my anxiety), especially something as addicting as cigarettes. Some people just love smoking cigarettes, though, and that's fine by me, they're not for everyone. The smoke actually makes me feel kind of sick, especially when I'm drunk, so I can't be too close to someone smoking. I avoid girls who smoke, but wouldn't let it stop me from dating someone I really like.

you dudes and dudettes trying to relate cigarettes to pot smoke are seriously out of this world.

pot smoke doesn't linger/stain/kill you.

if you smoke reefer, it's perfectly fine to find cigarette smoke unappealing. they are two completely different things.

you dudes and dudettes trying to relate cigarettes to pot smoke are seriously out of this world.

if you smoke reefer, it's perfectly fine to find cigarette smoke unappealing. they are two completely different things.

Yeah, cos dating someone who's got smoke weed to be interesting is soo much better....

I don't really notice what its like to kiss my girlfriend after shes had a smoke. Like other people have already said, if you like the person enough then don't let something like they smoking get in the way of it. You'll only end up wondering what could have been. Smoking is just like drinking really.

Yeah, cos dating someone who's got smoke weed to be interesting is soo much better....

did I say anything about being interesting? work on your reading comprehension skills.

did I say anything about being interesting? work on your reading comprehension skills.

Haha, I love it when people revert to the 'let's breakout the smart guy words' defence to start an argument.

To be honest if we're gonna do this 'work on your comprehension of the english language' would have probably been better, 'comprehension skills' is kinda superfluous, like saying 'work on your talent skills'

i would much prefer a girl that smokes.

makes my habit that much less disgusting, plus i'm totally turned on by the smell of cigs everywhere, especially hair

possibly from growing up for 18 years in a house that was always full of smoke.

i also need a girl who stays up til 5 in the morning with me

and a girl that drinks as much apple cider as i do

The act of smoking shows disrespect to both yourself and the people around you. I dated a smoker once, and it was awful. Never again.

um, isnt' that a bit self righteous don't you think.. What if the people around said person are ok with it? or even the smoker herself?

i personally don't smoke and wouldn't care if someone that i dated smoked. if sad person was awesome in so many other ways, why would it matter.

The act of smoking shows disrespect to both yourself and the people around you. I dated a smoker once, and it was awful. Never again.

um, isnt' that a bit self righteous don't you think.. What if the people around said person are ok with it? or even the smoker herself?/quote]

It is what it is, I guess. It's how I feel.

I don't like it. It may sound shitty, but if a girl I'm really into I see that she's a smoker, I'll lose all interest.

The last two girls that I seriously dated long-term started out as smokers...they each decided to quit on their own without being told so when they saw how uncomfortable I was around them. The most recent one, told me that she chose to quit when she saw that I wouldn't get close to her b/c of the smoking...before we got serious. I was blown away at how I could have that big of an impact on someone.