VC 7" series/Message Board label/ Invest in VC

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love all the ideas LOVE IT!!

I think the singles club would work better via a subscription

Idea number 2 gives me tingles thinking about what our little community decides to press, just please don't make it an often thing (Maybe once a month), I don't think my wallet could take anything more than that.

I would definitely be willing to help the company along if needed so small investing would be a cool idea.

personally i think virgil should start a "label collective" and act as a one stop for vinyl for smaller labels. I distrust distributors for the most part, but i'd totally trust virgil with my releases.

flood, I have been thinking about offering distribution beyond just our site to many of the labels we work with. I think this would be part of our overall business plan. I will definitely be talking to guys like you when we start figuring this out. I just need a bigger space to warehouse records. Steph would kick my ass if I took on this kind of distro while in our house.

I am glad that people are into the ideas so far. I will flesh it out more.

distro thru VC

that would rule

I like the ideas and would actually consider all three (depending what the minimum investment would be, as I'm sure you'd like to avoid 10 $4 investments).

The board assisted label sounds interesting but it sounds quite tricky. Mostly because (depending on how it's done) people would be pre-ordering an album they don't know anything about and it may not come out for months if it's not decided on until after the 300 (or so) pre-orders are made. If dudes don't like the previous release they may feel burned and be less apt to take part in future pre-orders as well. As a fan $10 is not much and I'd gladly pre-order, as I love the idea, but I do think there could be issues.

Also, I'd totally invest if it meant I got free VC releases. ;)

My exact thoughts.

On the imprint label thing...the point is you don't know when you preorder...that's why virgil mentioned getting the rarest version of the record...if you wound up not liking it, it would make trading it for something you did like easier...

As for the 7"...I think a subscription would finacially be better because I know there's a couple of those I'm not intrested, but I would subscribe to anything if it meant a ben nichols 7".

That's my 2 cents...I need to think about the investment part a bit more...its a bit intimidating

Oh man, I love this site *sniff*

Seriously, though, the split series sounds AMAZING. I don't even know all those bands, but I will def. get them all one way or another. I dunno about other people, but I would be willing to pre-order the entire series, no matter how long it took to put them all out. It's not like you're going to run away with my money, and getting things that you paid for months ago feels like getting them for free!

Also, like many people have said, I would be totally into the imprint label thing. $10 isn't too much money to take a chance with, and there would be a damn good chance that you'd get a sweet piece of vinyl.

When NOFX did their 7" of the month club, it was $80, and the first three hundred got colored vinyl if I remember right. It being Fat, it took something like 15 months to get them all, but it was awesome once I had the whole set. I think it would be a lot more straightforward to do the split 7" series like that, with those who subscribed early getting color. Repressing on black would be cheaper and easier that way, and you could sell the whole set or the individual records later.

I would buy the Message Board label LPs just because I love this board. This is the first and only board I've ever bothered to be a part of, because I hate the kids. I hate the kids so much.

I'm really curious about the investment scheme. Would it be something like taking the company public? How would we see returns on our investment and how could we cash out at a later point? If our dividends were on vinyl that would be rad. I have savings (amazing for a grad student on a stipend), and I'm really interested.

I'm really curious about the investment scheme. Would it be something like taking the company public? How would we see returns on our investment and how could we cash out at a later point? If our dividends were on vinyl that would be rad. I have savings (amazing for a grad student on a stipend), and I'm really interested.

to answer your question, I need to figure that out. Initially I had thought that it would be similar to taking it public but instead of assholes in suits it would be all the people who believe in what we do. There would be shares that cost x dollars and you would then buy how ever many shares. Profits would then be split up accordingly.

As I look into this more, it may or may not resemble the scenario above. I got my degree in molecular biology, not business, but I will be getting help from some business minded folks to set this up correctly. I will have more info soon.

I'm excited about all of this. Like bigmonkey I am really interested in the investing thing looking forward to hearing more about this. I would definately be into the 7" of the month club however that ends up getting set up I will be buying that.

yeah 7" club would work so much better for vc if it was subscription based.. do it like AOTU... you pay X dollars to get a 6 or 12 month subscrpition.. before you announce the club send off the first 6 months worth of records.. so then you can go month by month and still be ahead by a bit

I agree with flood.

As far as running a little behind schedule with releases for the club, I think every 7" of the month club I have been apart of has deviated from their schedules.

The side label idea I have to say is a genius idea and I am very surprised that no other label has thought of doing this before.

^^You're a molecular biologist? That's freaking awesome, so am I. Did you know Milo from the Descendents not only has a phd in biochem, but did his post-doc at UW-Madison (which is where I'm in grad school)?

molecules are so punk rock...

Half of the profs I work with were punks in the 80's. I had one last semester tell me about seeing the Ramones, the Talking Heads, and Blondie at CBGBs when she had spiked, purple hair. I've had another one who dislikes Lars Frederiksen for personal reasons, from when he lived in Berkley.

my debut release seems to have been derailed, but i'm still down for all 3.

teenage bottlerocket flipside = kepi ghoulie?

Chad Price/Jon Snodgrass split would make more sense to me, but maybe’s that cuz I don’t really care about Lucero or Rocky.

Or Cory Branan/Jon Snodgrass or City Mouse w/ Chad, Jon, or Cory. Hm, I guess City Mouse would be tough. Maybe he reads Bukowski or something. Haha.

i would pay for the subscription if i had to, like someone said above, even though i wouldn't necessarily want them all. business-wise, subscription might make more sense. consumer-wise, i'd prefer to pre-order individually.