Expedit Question

mcnail

Ok, so this is probably pretty obvious since there are pictures of people doing it everywhere, but I thought I'd ask to make sure.

Is turning an Expedit on it's side ok? Same weight can be applied? I want to get one of the 4x2 ones and put it on its side the long way. Thanks guys!

Ok you apparently don't understand how gravity and physics work. More surface area touching the ground and less hight means more stable. Less weight to since you have 2 SQ feet of records per square foot base as opposed to 4 sq feet per sq ft.

Ok, you apparently don't understand how construction works. If I turn a skyscraper on its side, when it was designed to hold weight vertically, not horizontally, are there going to be problems?

Oh I could have sworn the question was about a book shelf and not a 70 story building.

Oh and for the record, it would probably depend on how gently the sky scraper was put on its side.

And yes, I love swastikas.

Common sense people.

I would think it was ok. I get a little sketched about it though because when putting together the expedit I noticed that the support for the shelves is better when used vertically, because the way the shelves are supported. Vertically the shelves go across and connect to either side with the divider supporting each shelf in the middle. When you lay an expedit on its side the only thing supporting the shelf is the wood dowels. records get heavy so i get sketched about that fact. Ive been thinking about this alot because Im going to be moving into a new house soon and was thinking of having my expedits lay horizontal.

My dad and I just put one together. I'm putting it on its side and I attached 8 legs to the bottom, and my dad mounted a sheet of ply board to the back side for added strength. We looked it over and we're pretty confident we'll be ok.

<3 Erik

http://vinylcollective.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2518

I would think it was ok. I get a little sketched about it though because when putting together the expedit I noticed that the support for the shelves is better when used vertically, because the way the shelves are supported. Vertically the shelves go across and connect to either side with the divider supporting each shelf in the middle. When you lay an expedit on its side the only thing supporting the shelf is the wood dowels. records get heavy so i get sketched about that fact. Ive been thinking about this alot because Im going to be moving into a new house soon and was thinking of having my expedits lay horizontal.

I dont have one of these, so im just going off of what you just described. Please correct me if im wrong.

If it is vertically, the shelves will just be supported with the screws that are holding it is place against the divider and the side wall. So when storing the records vertically, you are relying on the screws which should have no problem supporting 70-100 LPs each?

But if you flipped this horizontally, all the weight will be on the middle horizontal divider, right? if you have the 4X2 verson, this horizontal divider holding all of the weight will be supported by the 3 shelves going vertically? If this is the case, the weight load will be dispursed evenly between the vertical dividers.

So the expedit may actually be able to support more weight when it is horizontal.

And to that dildo saying that it is common sense...it really isnt. It depends on how it is put together

i probably wouldn't trust an expedit on it's side, after the infamous failed 4x4 on it's side picture.

it was designed a certain way for a reason. the middle dividers when stood upright are dividers for a reason, and don't really work as shelves.

of course some easy craftsmanship and you can make it more durable, but it depends how much effort you want to put into that.

I think there are enough people on here doing the 4x2 on its side to say its probably safe, as long as you don't move it. If you were worried about stability, I'd go to the local hardware store and stock up on "L" brackets and fasten/screw those into the back. Might add a little stability. Or do what a previous poster did and add some backing board to it.

yeah while on a 4x2 i don't see a huge problem with it on its side... the dividers aren't really meant to support weight, they're for rigidity. i would definately not put a 4x4 or larger on its side

Why would anyone intentionaly put a 4x4 or 5x5 on its side?

It's done accidentally, I'd imagine.

yeah while on a 4x2 i don't see a huge problem with it on its side... the dividers aren't really meant to support weight, they're for rigidity. i would definately not put a 4x4 or larger on its side

Why would anyone intentionaly put a 4x4 or 5x5 on its side?

Cause if you don't put it on one of the 4 sides then what does it do? float?

waawaaaawaaaaaa ;D

• 1 year later...
Ok, you apparently don't understand how construction works. If I turn a skyscraper on its side, when it was designed to hold weight vertically, not horizontally, are there going to be problems?

Oh I could have sworn the question was about a book shelf and not a 70 story building.

Oh and for the record, it would probably depend on how gently the sky scraper was put on its side.

And yes, I love swastikas.

Common sense people.

OMG THIS GUY LOVES SWASTIKAS.

Just got one yesterday as an early christmas present...

It is actually horizontal, with my 47'' lcd and turntable on top (or on side? eh!), i have 4 ''cubes'' full of lp's (so probably 400?), ampli and stuff in the others....

Pretty sturdy, i tried to push on one side and it don't even move.

I was really surprised how strong they are!

But i plan to put a backpiece (like 1/4 plywood) just to be sure to keep the square right...

I think you have to pay attention with a 5x5 full of 2500 lps, but for a 4x2 no problems...