Records you could have bought, but didn't & regret

I'm not talking about records you wish you would have purchased on vinyl rather than CD. I'm talking about rare records you had in your greasy fingers and put back thinking "meh" only later to see sell for tons of cash or have never seen again.

Here's two examples from my history.

I was at a record show in Niagara Fall, Ontario around 15 years ago. I happened to a table with a guy selling a weird variety of hardcore, punk, and hip hop vinyl all kind of thrown haphazardly in a box. We start talking and I find a Sunny Day Real Estate 7" in his pile of records. "Diary" had come out and I had been on the fence about what I had heard. I asked him about the 7" and he said that it wasn't their best material. I asked what he wanted for it. He hemmed and hawed for a few seconds and said, "I dunno... $5?". We continued to talk about other stuff and during this time I was apparently beset with retardation because I had decided that I didn't want to invest $5 in a band I wasn't sure if I liked, despite it being limited to 333 copies and that it was the coolest packaging I had ever seen. Well...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunny-Day-Real-Estate-bacteria-sour-7-pushead-LTD-333_W0QQitemZ330320857269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item330320857269

Fast forward about 5 years. I digging through a crate at a local record show and come across a copy of Samhain "Initium" and it has a sticker that says "colored vinyl" on it. I pull it out and think "eh.. this is black vinyl" then notice that there are small white streaks in it. It was priced at $40 and I figured I could get it for $30 but then decide that I already have it on CD and I shouldn't pay $30 for a record I already have on CD, and put it back. Anyway, as I was walking around the show I have a change of heart and go back to buy it. Of course it's gone. I don't see one on eBay for around two years, but when I do it goes for $1800. Now they go for around $300, but still... fuck.

When I first got into Alkaline Trio I could have gotten msot of their early records new from Asian Man, or gotten them really cheap used from a few friends but didn't because I was eleven and retarded. I really regret that.

I remember putting off buying a "Greatest Story Ever Told" and "Oh Calcutta" by the Lawrence Arms when they were first released from Fat. I probably could have had the colored copies of those records if I wasn't so apathetic about it at the time.

Guest adam526
I typed the whole story out the first time(s) this type of thread was started. Long story short: Nirvana Love Buzz 7" for $30 right when they were getting big. He had two copies. I only had $20 so I bought a Pearl Jam pic disc instead. Fuck.

You would've been rich

I typed the whole story out the first time(s) this type of thread was started. Long story short: Nirvana Love Buzz 7" for $30 right when they were getting big. He had two copies. I only had $20 so I bought a Pearl Jam pic disc instead. Fuck.

This one's going to be a tough one to top.

Anyone who went to this garage sale and didn't pick this up could top it . . .

http://www.popsike.com/VELVET-UNDERGROUND-NICO-1966-Acetate-LP-ANDY-WARHOL/300060897304.html

Definately picked up Your Favorite Weapon a few times at Hot Topic back in Freshman year of college and thought, "Nah, I'll get it next week..."

But the regret that beats that one is Pearl Jam's Benaroya Hall box. I remember the morning it came on sale I was using a dial-up to try to order, but the site was overwhelmed and kept timing out. I was already late for work so I could make the order, but it wasn't working so I just went in for my shift. By the time I got home it was sold out. The one currently on ebay is over $500. *sigh*

Circle Takes the Square - As The Roots Undo LP. i passed when i saw them since i didn't have much money with me and they were playing the same club again 3 weeks later, so i'd get it then. 3 weeks later, they were getting off the ramp on the interstate at w-b and kathy got a call i guess that one of her family members had died, so they turned around and drove to georgia. the album is long OOP now and i've never seen them again. they still rank as probably the best live show i've ever seen.

This one's going to be a tough one to top.

agreed. I don't know if I have anything I regret passing on but like ryan just wish I was born a little earlier.

There was a record store here that is now long gone that was right down the street from my house. I scored tons of vinyl there but was still in the dark about plenty of stuff. I remember the day they got copies of the orchid/jeromes dream skull record in for $8 and i didnt buy any. And then they got passed onto another record store and i slept on them there too. Not a huge deal just something that stands out. Im sure I've passed up many rare pressings of stuff and not cared. If its not something im into I generally dont bother.

hmmm....nothing physical that ive really passed up on. when its in my hands the force is just too strong no matter what the bank account says.

However, as far as online ordering goes i passed up on 1 of the last 3 copies of None More Black - File Under Black last week. Went back a few days later to buy...they were gone. I was full of regret. :(

Back in the day of mailorder...I bought 4 of Metallica's Creeping Death ep's on red, green, clear and white vinyl for $7.99 a piece. About a week after I got them I gave the white one to a not-so-close friend for his birthday thinking I would just order another, well I never did get around to it. Of course the white vinyl is/was going for $700+ when you actually did see one. They have since been bootlegged and I have no Idea what that has done to the official ones price.