Best Buy and vinyl?

Guest baseball

Wow, interesting. It looks like they're starting to carry it.

Some decent stuff on there too. There's like 3 Mountain Goats albums for around $14 with free shipping. New Pennywise is on there for $15 with free shipping as well.

Hmmmmmmm.

I read somewhere, in one of those, vinyl is coming back articles that Circuit City put a vinyl section in the store. Still have not stopped by to see if its all stores or not. Virgin Megastores used to carry vinyl as well, not really a big box retailer like best buy but a major store none the less.

why would it suck?

MODIFY: I think I would actually like it if they did. That way I can get more mainstream stuff that the stores I visit does not carry, or they sell out before I get there. For example the independent stores I got to don't carry much in terms of majors so this way Best Buy could get, like 20 copies of the new Jack Johnson record that wouldn't sell and I could grab one!

its true. my gf works for best buy. she sent me a picture message on my phone of a who 2xlp they got in stock at their store. supposedly its a best buy exclusive and will be out next week. i dont think you dudes have much to worry about though. if big box retailers started carrying vinyl, they'd carry exactly what you'd expect them to (ie. stuff 99.9% most people on these boards arent interested in at all with a random decent record here and there). think hot topic. still though, vinyl is typically non-returnable to distributors which chains don't like. so, on a large scale (just take best buy for example), its a pretty big risk to make floorspace for a section of vinyl and have stuff that just sits there and doesn't sell and they're stuck with it.

why would it suck?

My opinion is that if bigger stores start carrying vinyl, then they will start to push independent shops out of business. Plus, the bigger stores probably wouldn't know anything about records or appreciate them at all, and wouldn't be nearly as helpful in finding different releases.

I doubt they would have enough stock and variety to push any of the small stores out. They will need to be major or close to major with distrib deals to best buy to stock there.

And yeah your right, they probably won't know a damn thing about them.