Cursive - Worth Seeing? (edit: probably not)

drabley

Considering seeing Cursive on Wednesday, but I'm a bit leery. Haven't enjoyed a Cursive album since Burst and Bloom. It's been downhill from there, in my opinion.

Is the live set enough to overcome my doubt and dislike of the more recent material?

It's either this or drive to Baton Rouge on Friday to see Unwed Sailor, who have never disappointed me, for the 438th time. Jonathan Ford is one of the most solid dudes in the history of solid dudes, which is a huge plus.

What would you do? The drive to BR is not a factor in the decision.

Staying home and listening to Chuck Ragan records is not an option. Staying home and playing frisbee football with Chuck Ragan records is definitely an option.

Thanks.

I think they are fantastic live. The first time I saw them was after Happy Hollow, which I did not like so was not expecting much, but they were great. Saw them again after Mama, and again they were really awesome. They've played plenty off Domestica, some off B&B, and a few off the older EP's/splits each time, but not much pre-domestica. I'm bummed because I probably won't be able to make one of these shows like I had planned.

That being said, I've always wanted to see Unwed Sailor; the one time I had the chance the show was canceled. I still think I would pick Cursive...

Unwed Sailor is one of my favorite bands ever and I have seen them like 500 times also. They never disappoint, and they are currently on tour with Native Lights who also rules.

And while Cursive is great live, sometimes they get a little too drunk and that makes watching them kind of painful. Also what Scott said.

So the obvious answer is Unwed Sailor.

Honestly, you're fricking looney if you don't think the Ugly Organ is one of the best records ever released by Saddle Creek.

I'll see your Ugly Organ and raise you a Domestica.

I'm sticking to my guns that Burst and Bloom was the last great Cursive record. At least for me.

I see your raise and re-raise an "eh."

After much thought on my options and your answers, I've decided on Unwed Sailor yet again.

I'd rather see a band I love playing songs I love (and another band I really like in Native Lights) than a band I used to like (Cursive) mostly playing songs I don't care for at all.

Plus -- there's an Unwed Sailor show in New Orleans at AllWays that I didn't know about (sup with that, NOLA DIY?) until just now.

So Cursive is out on Wednesday. Unwed Sailor is in on Thursday. And likely again on Friday in Baton Rouge. And DEFINITELY Baroness next Wednesday.

Thanks for your input.

Love,

Drabs.