• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY top 5 band period are as follows:

The Murder City Devils

Boston

The Beatles

Radiohead

Wilco

another BOSTON fan!!! Man, i have loved that band since i was a child. Too bad i'll never get to see them in their original lineup :(

Fuck Yeah Mike, Tom Shultz single-handedly changed the face of recording technology and Brad Delp's vocals are just mind-blowing. I mostly like everything pre-Third Stage, but if I have to lump that stuff in too they still barely edge out Thin Lizzy in my top 5 rankings

What did you do, Google "top five punk bands" and "top five jazz groups"?

Huh? Is this sarcasm? I am guessing it is, as Soft Machine is not "punk" (unless you consider early psych-jazzy rock punk...I kinda do 8-)). I did put like ten minutes or so of thought into those lists... ???

I was just being an ass. It's hard to make a top five jazz groups list without at least three of those. I would have put Sonny Rollins and Clifford Brown in there somewhere, but you can't fade Miles.

Huh? Is this sarcasm? I am guessing it is, as Soft Machine is not "punk" (unless you consider early psych-jazzy rock punk...I kinda do 8-)). I did put like ten minutes or so of thought into those lists... ???

I was just being an ass. It's hard to make a top five jazz groups list without at least three of those. I would have put Sonny Rollins and Clifford Brown in there somewhere, but you can't fade Miles.

Right on. I wholeheartedly agree on Sonny and Clifford. I would actually need at least a top 15, as Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Horace Silver, Ornette Coleman, Mingus, Ari Hoenig, Duke, Bird, etc. all need to be on there. My list stems a bit from being a fan of the late 60s-70s electronic/funk jazz that Miles and Herbie were experimenting with, which MMW later took and ran with somewhat.

Off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing something.

1. Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard

2. Husker Du/Bob Mould/Sugar

3. The Who 1965-1973

4. Testament

5. Hot Water Music

Side note; Neutral Milk Hotel made one of the best albums ever but it's hard for me to put them on a list like this. Had they made another album and kept the quality up I may have considered them. I also wasn't sure if I would go with HWM or Braid, they're both important parts of my life.

My personal all time faves in no particular order:

Jawbreaker

All/Descendents

Autechre

Chris Isaak

Take That

I haven't included any bands I've only been listening to for less than 5 years. For me, my all time favourites need to stand a test of time, when I was a young 'un they changed every week. All these acts I've been listening to for at least a decade, but there's a couple of bands from the last three or four years that may soon be challenging for a place. (Drag The River, Richmond Fontaine & Bruce Springsteen)

My personal all time faves in no particular order:

Jawbreaker

All/Descendents

Autechre

Chris Isaak

Take That

I haven't included any bands I've only been listening to for less than 5 years. For me, my all time favourites need to stand a test of time, when I was a young 'un they changed every week. All these acts I've been listening to for at least a decade, but there's a couple of bands from the last three or four years that may soon be challenging for a place. (Drag The River, Richmond Fontaine & Bruce Springsteen)

This is what i was thinking when i put my list up. I wanted to put bands up that i have been listening to for years. I also took into account how many good albums the band put out. Sure a band can put out a great album, but what about the others? if not SLAYER would have been in that list. Unfortunately there are a few albums i thought were pretty weak. (by slayer standards of course)

Side note; Neutral Milk Hotel made one of the best albums ever but it's hard for me to put them on a list like this. Had they made another album and kept the quality up I may have considered them.

Yeah, that's the main reason I didn't put them on. I feel like In the Aeroplane... was kind of an anomaly in the band's catalogue. I like their other stuff, but it doesn't compare.

Side note; Neutral Milk Hotel made one of the best albums ever but it's hard for me to put them on a list like this. Had they made another album and kept the quality up I may have considered them.

Yeah, that's the main reason I didn't put them on. I feel like In the Aeroplane... was kind of an anomaly in the band's catalogue. I like their other stuff, but it doesn't compare.

I put them on just because so much amazing music came from the wake of Aeroplane, I mean that album is a pretty big reason Aracde Fire exists so I thank them for that. In the same way that I blame Every Time I Die for My Chemical Romance existing