"in back" (retail related)

Also in regards to this thread, people being shitty to customer service related employees should come as no surprise Loki hit the nail on the head. I've been dicked over by so many shitty employees at stores so yeah, if I know something very well be in the back 9 out of 10 times yes, I will ask. There's no harm in asking a damn question. And if you say "no everything's out front" then fine, at least I asked. I've gotten so many "in back" things it isn't even funny. Asking questions isn't such a god awful thing. It's the people who expect you to jump through hoops and do the impossible and act like it's your fault when something's out or are rude about it. I can think of more awful things to bitch about in the customer service related field. Asking an innocent question isn't one of those things.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked at Target for a couple of years, my favorite time was x-mas cuz that's when a lot of retardation comes to fruition. I had a guy one year trying to get a Barbie jeep 2 days before x-mas and was pissed at me cuz me not having it in stock just ruined his daughters x-mas. The next year I had some genius looking for a slim ps2 on x-mas eve. I seriously responded to the guy with "you're kidding me right?"

Also in regards to this thread, people being shitty to customer service related employees should come as no surprise Loki hit the nail on the head. I've been dicked over by so many shitty employees at stores so yeah, if I know something very well be in the back 9 out of 10 times yes, I will ask. There's no harm in asking a damn question. And if you say "no everything's out front" then fine, at least I asked. I've gotten so many "in back" things it isn't even funny. Asking questions isn't such a god awful thing. It's the people who expect you to jump through hoops and do the impossible and act like it's your fault when something's out or are rude about it. I can think of more awful things to bitch about in the customer service related field. Asking an innocent question isn't one of those things.
Also for kurtz: I'm sorry, I don't know who mike schmidt is.

It's a reference to the always sunny christmas special. Also I read what you wrote, which is why I mentioned the tickle me elmo rule. The cd's you spoke about fall into that zone. Post more cutie.

loki, they dont fall into that zone.. his specific rant (and it's pretty clear) is about his annoyance with customers who ask him to check the back for stock when he is certain they are sold out. He is not annoyed with people asking for product. It isnt' about lazy employees who just tell you whatever they want to get you off their back. it's about his specific situation. Hes just ranting. Some of us can totally see where he's coming from.

I know people can be lazy sometimes, but this isn't a vague situation about employees situation be questioned.

I dont know how many of you work in retail during xmas and are being literally questioned by 20 people at a time for things, and if you are out of something you know for sure, and they ask you to check the back, most cases you will be annoyed. You don't have time to walk and check for 3 to 4 minutes. if you do that for everyone, you'd never get any of your own work done. after all your job consists of other things besides helping people. I know it's our job to help people, but we can only do so much.

"I hate customers that do things!"

"I hate clerks that do stuff!"

I've been on both sides of the equation, and usually find the best course of action is to remain firm, yet polite.

"Hey, do you have any more Vibrating Transsexual Unicorns in the back? Every kid wants one, and I need one for my child."

"Unfortunately, we do not."

"Please look, if I don't get one for my kid, they won't think I love them, I'll be a failure in the eyes of the other parents, and the growing resentment my mindless little consumer will foster will eventually culminate in me being placed into a second-rate retirement home where I'll endure frequent beatings and be fed dog food."

"I have thoroughly checked, and we are out. You may get a rain check/see management to register a complaint/fuck yourself next Tuesday (wait don't say that last one)."

Firm, but polite. If it's apparent they are annoying or stressing you out, they assume you're just lazy.

Then again, on the customer side, if I've reached an impasse with a clerk that just seems like they don't want to do anything, I will say something like, "If you would, please indulge me and look again?" If they're nasty about a response, then any complaints are genuine.

Guest markovianprocess

I dont know how many of you work in retail during xmas and are being literally questioned by 20 people at a time for things, and if you are out of something you know for sure, and they ask you to check the back, most cases you will be annoyed. You don't have time to walk and check for 3 to 4 minutes. if you do that for everyone, you'd never get any of your own work done. after all your job consists of other things besides helping people. I know it's our job to help people, but we can only do so much.

The only thing I hate more than that is the way people speak to you sometimes in the stores. It's just totally unnecessary.

Customer: Could I have these shoes in an 8?

Me: No problem. I'll be back in a second.

Me: Hi, I'm afraid we're out of stock in the 8, the closest we have is a 7 or a 7 wide fit, would you like to try either of those?

Customer: Yes, I'll try the 7, but I asked you for an 8.

Me: Yes, but we're out of stock in the 8. That's why I asked you if you would like to try the 7. Would you like me to check our warehouse or any other local stores for an 8?

Customer: Are you sure you don't have an 8?

Me: Yes. I'm positive.

It really pisses me off when someone questions my capability in going into a stockroom and picking up a box in the section that has that particular number. There is no reason for people to feel like they have to speak to you in a patronising manner. Especially when you're one of the few people in the store that actually goes out of their way to help people find what they are looking for. I spend half of my day trying to find other stores with stock for customers and give instructions of how to check for stock online even though I'm not obligated to do so.

Basically, people of the world, stop being so fucking rude.

i kinda like the "go fuck yourself next tuesday". Then again i've told people "c'mon, i don't have all day lady, times a wastin'" (seriously, i have). I am full of insults and wisecracks with customers. And the still tip me for it.. :)

I do my best to remain polite. I've been shitty to people before, though - people well deserving of it - and one of two things has always saved my ass.

1. The person was WELL deserving of it. Like, being an unreasonable cunt, and forcing me to lay down the law on account of myself or someone else.

2. It usually makes for a funny and well-told story. The boss has witnessed me being a dick to people that deserved it and had to stifle her own laughter.

I do not, as a general rule, apologize to customers for things that are beyond my control, nor do I believe in "kissing the customer's ass," as it is put by my employers. If someone is disappointed or unhappy, thems the fuckin' breaks. And if they cross the line (which usually consists of calling myself or someone else names, or just being a nasty cunt), my politeness comes to an abrupt end.

Ok, few things: I got the sunny quote, I was trying to play along, but its been a couple weeks since I've seen it.

Second: control the.bleeding, scott m and a few other hit the nail on the head, I don't care if you ask me if we have the new converge album, I'll give you a straight answer if we have it because being in my position, I personally open every box of multimedia product and go through it, seperating out the hot titles, stuff I know we are out off and stuff I know isn't on the floor. The things left in a box in back is the 30 copies of a cd they already sent me 15 of and are on the floor already. The specific titles I listed, if you look at any music sales chart, are the hottest 2 albums. We have displays with the picture of them and there are 0 copies. So if you don't see it, Ask me if we have it. My response will be no. Then ask me if we have any in back. Seriously? How dumb can someone be. That's what I'm ranting about, not if someone asks me if we have something random.

Ok, few things: I got the sunny quote, I was trying to play along, but its been a couple weeks since I've seen it.

Second: control the.bleeding, scott m and a few other hit the nail on the head, I don't care if you ask me if we have the new converge album, I'll give you a straight answer if we have it because being in my position, I personally open every box of multimedia product and go through it, seperating out the hot titles, stuff I know we are out off and stuff I know isn't on the floor. The things left in a box in back is the 30 copies of a cd they already sent me 15 of and are on the floor already. The specific titles I listed, if you look at any music sales chart, are the hottest 2 albums. We have displays with the picture of them and there are 0 copies. So if you don't see it, Ask me if we have it. My response will be no. Then ask me if we have any in back. Seriously? How dumb can someone be. That's what I'm ranting about, not if someone asks me if we have something random.

How do you expect the customer to know just by looking at you that you're the all-powerful product-box opener? I mean, christ, cut them some slack, too -- they figure you're blowing them off and they want to make sure.

How do you expect the customer to know just by looking at you that you're the all-powerful product-box opener? I mean, christ, cut them some slack, too -- they figure you're blowing them off and they want to make sure.

he specifically said that the customer asks if they had it, he responds that they don't, then they ask again to check in the back as if he's lying to them; it has nothing to do with them knowing whether he opens the product up or not. he's just using that as context.

i used to work at pacsun, and the only things we kept in the back were the shoes. i would specifically tell people that we have absolutely no back stock and everything is out on the floor and they would STILL ask me to go look. so annoying when you have 20 other customers in the store and 20 other tasks that you need to be doing.

Yes sometimes it's annoying when someone persistently believes you're lying, but most of this sounds like whining. Your job is customer service. If they ask if you have something, you can't be annoyed. If you leave any doubt that you're sold out and they ask you to check, that's your job.

Now if you tell them "I was just back there and there's nothing.." and they tell you to look again, that's one thing, but still, it's your job to interact with them, so you have to be polite. I don't work in retail, but my part-time job is all in the public managing an ice rink and the requests get equally as stupid, ("where's your pro shop?" -Sorry, we don't have one. "So where do I get my skates sharpened?" -I dunno, Great Skate, like the rest of us?) but you have to stay polite. I bitch at my employees allllllllllll the time because they whine about having to answer questions like when Rec Skate is. Part of the job, if you don't like it, get a different job.

I think only half of you actually read what I wrote...even though I explained it in a 2nd reply...and everyone wonders why I don't post.

I don't wonder why you don't post. I hate it when I'm on a message board and someone says "everyone does____" and I'm like I don't do that. So then they're all like "could you check 'in the back' for someone else who might ____. And I'm like "there is no 'in back' on the Internet. We've got all the people up front."

Yes sometimes it's annoying when someone persistently believes you're lying, but most of this sounds like whining. Your job is customer service. If they ask if you have something, you can't be annoyed. If you leave any doubt that you're sold out and they ask you to check, that's your job.

Now if you tell them "I was just back there and there's nothing.." and they tell you to look again, that's one thing, but still, it's your job to interact with them, so you have to be polite. I don't work in retail, but my part-time job is all in the public managing an ice rink and the requests get equally as stupid, ("where's your pro shop?" -Sorry, we don't have one. "So where do I get my skates sharpened?" -I dunno, Great Skate, like the rest of us?) but you have to stay polite. I bitch at my employees allllllllllll the time because they whine about having to answer questions like when Rec Skate is. Part of the job, if you don't like it, get a different job.

Also, this.

I read this whole thread and there seems to be some misunderstandings that have occurred. I get what he's saying.

Back to people being shitty: I worked at RadioShack for 2 years and Christmas was fucking miserable. Lots of people ask you to "check in the back" after being told numerous times that we were out by multiple people, but I found it happened more often if I had an attitude (without realizing it at the time) about saying we're out. It was a pretty miserable place given that at Christmas people came there to get gifts for their family (wives for husbands, parents for kids, etc) without knowing anything about it (which is okay) or even how to properly describe what they're looking for (which is not okay). I've bartended/served at a hotel now for three years and it continues to blow my mind how people treat you like you're a moron for absolutely NO reason. I'm very polite at work, as it's part of my job, and unless I'm not sure, which I will tell you, I assure you there is no reason to doubt the answers that I give regarding anything in my department. Yet, people still find a way to convince themselves I'm a moron. We serve a "fusion" based menu, and airline douches always come in and ask questions like "Do you have any other appetizers besides what's on the dinner menu?" and I say "Yes, but only buffalo wings and chicken tenders which are on the late night menu. Would you like to see that?" to which they often reply "You don't have like nachos or mozzarella sticks or anything?!". I just don't get it. Especially when like last night this prick did that exact thing and this was after I had already served him every Monday for the last month and he had ALREADY ASKED THAT SAME FUCKING QUESTION MULTIPLE DAYS. FUCK. Anyways. People never cease to amaze me. I'm also fairly certain that I'm rarely a pain in the ass when purchasing or looking to purchase anything. I try anyways.