attn: star trek geeks

I'd go with the original movies (I-VI). If that interests you enough, go on to the original TV series, The Next Generation TV series, and The Next Generation movies. The films are probably the most crucial to the story, and the TV series are more of a "the continuing adventures of..." type thing.

My dad's a pretty avid Trekkie and we've been to everything together in theaters from "The Voyage Home" (1986) when I was a kid to the most recent film. We watched all the TV series (yes including Deep Space Nine and Voyager), but the one that really made the biggest impression on me was The Next Generation. You should be seriously excited to get to that part of the story, but the history is really important and it would be a travesty for you to get hooked on Picard and his crew without first learing of Kirk and his. Plus Bill Shatner is badass.

The Next Generation and the Original Series are the only parts worth your time. The Original Series movies #2, 3, 4, and 6 are good, as are the first two TNG movies. For the regular episodes, stick to seasons one and two of the Original Series. Seasons one and two of TNG are spotty, but get better from the third season onward.

I loved the new movie, so I'm kind of interested in Star Trek. I also want to start arguments with my g/f, because she likes Star Wars a lot and while I think they're good movies, I'm not a huge fan.

I can completely relate. Star Wars is good, but I just don't get all the hype.

I'm much more Star Trek than Star Wars.

Kidamnesiac is on the ball, i honestly never watched much of the original tv series, but i love the movies from that time, TNG is Awesome and the films from that era are pretty awesome as well, also why all the hate for DS9? That shit ruled.

DS9 was okay, though of all the series it took me the longest to get into. I much preferred Voyager to DS9, personally.

I want to be a star trek geek too! @kidamnesiac how important is "star trek: the animated series"?
It's not essential, but if you like animated stuff and you like the rest of Star Trek it's very worthwhile. It was actually spawned after the Original Series was canceled. As a cult following grew and ratings on re-runs rose, Paramount and NBC realized that they wanted to continue this whole 'Trek' thing. They did The Animated Series for a while before doing the first movie. It's actually really good. The writers realized early on that they could do a lot more with animation than live action and capitalized on that fact well.

Oh yeah, and I don't understand all the Deep Space Nine and Voyager hate, either. My dad, my brother, and I loved both. Even the newest TV series, Enterprise is pretty good. A fun watch for canonical completeness at least.

• 2 weeks later...