US High-Speed Rail

mcm1610

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2818383020100128?type=marketsNews

WASHINGTON, Jan 28 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama will announce on Thursday $8 billion in grants to develop the first U.S. high-speed, intercity rail service the White House says will create or save thousands of jobs.

Bonds

Obama is heading to Tampa, Florida, after delivering his State of the Union address Wednesday night in which he promised Americans that job creation would be his top priority this year, in the face of stubborn double-digit unemployment.

The grants will help fund the development of 13 high-speed "rail corridors" across the country, the White House said.

One of the new rail corridors will be in Florida.

The grants come from money already earmarked for the projects in Obama's $787 billion stimulus package that Congress passed last year.

"This historic $8 billion investment is expected to create or save tens of thousands of jobs over time in areas like track-laying, manufacturing and rail maintenance," the White House said in a statement

It said more than 30 rail manufacturers, including foreign companies, had agreed to establish or expand their base of operations in the United States if they won contracts to help build the new rail corridors.

In addition to the $8 billion stimulus money, $1 billion a year will be set aside for five years in the federal budget to jump-start the program.

[image]

Great move? Unnecessary? Waste of gov't (our) money? They still make trains? Thoughts?

i think itll be good in the long run, people in palo alto (where I grew up) are throwing a bitch fit maybe with good reason. Its following the local train tracks which go behind really nice houses backyards, and theyre trying to build a twenty foot high platform in the same place for this.

i think its cool though!

Living near a city that this will definitely affect, I'm sorta stoked about it. I've actually hoped for it a long time, as it would make getting to Chicago way the fuck quicker and cheaper for me.

Taking the train would rule. I took it to Denver once and enjoyed just sitting back, chilling, talking to people, watching the countryside. And for those of you that drink, they have absolutely NO standard on how plowed they'll let you get.

The major downside is that amtrack, as it stands, can sometimes cost as much as a plane ticket, but takes 6 times as long. It's often disorganized, slow, and the trains are terribly late. The service fucking blew, when we used it last. I would hope this would change all that. It has a real potential to change things for the better in this country, I think.

It would be so awesome to have a high speed rail connecting San Antonio to Austin, Houston, and Dallas. But it'll probably take so long to happen that I won't be living here anymore.

That's like the one thing that keeps me from going to shows in Austin is that I don't feel like driving home afterwards.

I would love this if it is anything like europes train infrastructure. Being able to take a train from MPLS to Chicago would be great

I agree, but it'd be awfully hard to beat the prices it costs to fly there. Round trip flights only run between 80-120, depending on the day, and when you book. I love taking the train though. It's just too damn expensive usually. And high speed trains I don't think are going to be any cheaper.

man i just want a fucking light rail from Boulder to Denver

you have a free bus! assuming youre a student. If I want to go to SF i have to bus to berkeley and then walk a mile and take a trian to SF

well its not free, i pay $80 for it in my student fees. the bus is nice to have, but it takes fucking forever. god forbid there's traffic.

It would be so awesome to have a high speed rail connecting San Antonio to Austin, Houston, and Dallas. But it'll probably take so long to happen that I won't be living here anymore.

That's like the one thing that keeps me from going to shows in Austin is that I don't feel like driving home afterwards.

this would be fucking awesome.