why has Japan not gotten back into the vinyl game?

Japan has a golden opportunity to put out deluxe editions of stuff that was only available there on CD :-[, like 2 ep's from Blur - Live At Budokan, Bustin & Dronin. They could do the Parklife vinyl with the dog having LED(watch Battery powered) blinking eyes like my cd promo. They could do the ENTIRE Dave Matthews catalog - wouldn't it be sweet to have Under The Table or Crash on Japan audiophile???? I just got my old Thorens td166 mk2 working, and want everything 90's on vinyl now. My receiver plays louder with my turntable, I guess because cd's are such a midrange mess, i couldn't play cd's longer than 10 minutes at extreme volumes without it thinking it was distorting, and turning one channel off temporarily. With my turntable, it never gets overworked. All my friends who didn't understand why I own 30,000 vinyl have heard the Thorens sound, and now know why I'm into it.

Japan's market is pretty strong - perhaps not as strong as 10-15 years ago, but healthy nonetheless.

Dawnpatrol - A lot of 1990's titles were pressed in Japan back when they were originally released - you just have to look for them. You may also want to check out German editions - not as storied as Japan's "audiophile excellence", but just as good. In fact Germany is home to one of the best pressing plants in the world - Pallas. Also, you'd be doing a disservice to yourself if you didn't check out domestic pressings from RTI or (select) MFSL releases. MFSL used to press everything in Japan, but domestic pressing technology got so good that they brought it back to the States. As with all things in life, there will be disappointments along the way - no pressing plant is immune to a bad run - I've heard Japanese pressings that were absolute shit (i.e. 200g Nirvana Nevermind).

Having said all that, it sounds like your audio rig isn't even up to the task of presenting all of the information contained in the grooves accurately, so what good is having a collection of '90s 200g "audiophile" $50 Japanese LPs?!

Cool "Audiophile" alert.

But yeah, what Tre said. Distribution-wise, I'll ship maybe 1 record over there for every 20 CD's. Fine with me - it keeps the logic of pressing CD's alive since it's drying up elsewhere.

And there you have it a nutshell - the reason why we don't do every release on vinyl, Japan is the main place we sell music to, and Japan wants CD, not vinyl...