We Need Transparency (an open letter to Virgil)

As a label that works with Virgil and the folks at VC, I had been owed some cash, but actually, just last week I received a check. It wasn't for everything owed, but at least they are working on it and keeping us updated. Sure there are signs of trouble and there have been for a while, but unlike other distros I've worked with the people at VC have always kept the communication line open. Let's hope they can keep making it work and come out better for it down the line.

No one ever said people in the co-op are losing money. I want to know how much money the co-op has to fund future releases, since the co-op's money is supposed to be separate from SH/VC money.

Hickey: I should get out before the whole thing falls apart and I lose my money.

Ahhh. Ok.

Since you're a man with answers: How much money does the co-op have in the bank?

everyone kills themselves (hopefully)

Lets not say things that would get my hopes up.

Look, I think it's completely stupid to demand transparency. Opaque records are cool too and they sound just as good.

as long as they aren't a purple/grey mess i'm ok with that.

Ha, the lamest joke followed by a sick burn.

Seriously, I couldn't imagine this label lasting another year. Tough break for virgil because he obviously puts alot into this but man is shit fucked now.

Hey but now you can follow the VC business model and learn how to be just like them?

[image]

I did not name the panel(not a big fan of the name) and I have made enough mistakes putting out records, I feel like I have some constructive things to say about the matter. When asked to speak on a panel about vinyl, I said why not. If you were in my shoes, I am sure you would have done the same thing.

you guys sure do seem to know a whole lot of details from a few message board posts, vc clearance sells, and flimsy rumors. shit may be bad, but isnt it fucked mostly every where right now? isnt that a recession? im sure the dude is working on it and it seems like all the dudes who have small labels who have posted in the thread either have gotten some form of payment and are keeping tabs on whats up. buy some shit and maybe things will turn around.

HEY MODS...why hasn't this thread been locked?? why wasn't it locked before it got 4 fucking pages in with a bunch of "Punk Rock Know It Alls" mouthing off (most of which don't know their dick from a hole in the ground)...I'm not defending anybody specifically or calling anybody out specifically, but this is fucking retarded guys. Air Out The Dirty Laundry Else Where

HEY MODS...why hasn't this thread been locked?? why wasn't it locked before it got 4 fucking pages in with a bunch of "Punk Rock Know It Alls" mouthing off (most of which don't know their dick from a hole in the ground)...I'm not defending anybody specifically or calling anybody out specifically, but this is fucking retarded guys. Air Out The Dirty Laundry Else Where

Wouldn't you rather all the shit be contained to one thread rather than a ton of "WHY WAS THAT THREAD LOCKED YOU FUCKING FASCIST PIGS" and "VC IS TEH STUPIDEST LAEBEL FUK EM" threads?

Maybe because they don't support locking a thread where people are discussing information that is no surprise and has been out in the open for quite a while?

Man, if that isn't it I'm stumped.

hahaha... you're an idiot if you think censorship is the way to handle this.

fuck censorship...I'm saying...if you have a fucking problem with somebody, Face To Face is the way to solve the fucking problem...anonymously posting on the forum isn't going to solve a fucking thing. On top of that, every half-tarded punk-rock know it all is chiming in on shit that either doesn't concern them or that they know nothing about. I feel locking this thread would eliminate useless shit-talking.

Jesse/Alternative Tentacles here. Having worked @ Lookout w/ Dan, weathered the decline of Lumberjack-Mordam (Dirk still owes AT tens of thousands of dollars), and having known Virgil since touring with the Gr'ups back in 1992? 1993?, I think I can safely comment without being labeled a) anonymous or B) a random shit-talker.

Dan's observations are accurate in terms of the downward spiral that often becomes a death spiral for small & mid-sized distributors and labels.

That said, Virgil posting what he did here is in sharp contrast to the actions of most of the entities Dan (& I) have direct experience with.

Example: Dirk/Lumberjack-Mordam never communicated with all of his labels detailing what was going on with the company past, say, 2006 (max!), and we all figured out that LMMG was in a death spiral sooner or later on our own, often through direct communication with each other.

The trend of our kinds of businesses seems to be to be positive instead of honest. That leads people on a bit, but at the same time when one's rep is all one has, it's risky to admit even a little negative news.

At this point though, everyone on the planet knows that music businesses large and small are hurting badly, so it's not a surprise. The openess of Virgil posting here & being straight-forward without letting too much information out is a positive sign to me. If I were an investor or a label being distributed by VC, I'd take heart in this development.

So to be clear, Guttermouth isn't the way?

Yes, Guttermouth is most certainly not the way

LOL. This dude is so clueless.

Additionally, it's funny that you say "Face to Face" is how you solve the problem, as if a member(s) of this board is going to fly to Denver and tell Virgil that they have a problem with the way VC is being run.

Are you referring to yourself here?

Referring to myself just as much as I'm referring to you.

Really? All I did was make a bad joke about getting some free records. There was a pretty healthy discussion going with a lot of input from people that know what they're talking about until you came into the thread and started insulting people and shoving your opinions down people's throats.