proper eBay etiquette?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah, nothing in the listing.

only thing that may apply is:

Return policy

The seller will not accept returns for this item.

I'm in no way trying to screw the dude over, cause that would just be shitty. But does it fall on me now to refund and eat the money?

They didn't say anything in the message stating they wanted a refund, just that they got it and it has a crack.

Should I just maybe ignore it for now and see if they contact again?

First time something like this happened to me.

i'm dealing with a lost record situation right now myself. shit sucks.

i think for future records i sell online, i'm gonna require the buyer to pay half the cost for shipping insurance. does that sound unreasonable?

On my auctions I always put at the bottom that international buyers assume responsibility for lost items unless they want to pay the $30 to have it shipped so it can be tracked.

I definitely think ebay should have some seller protection for things like this. If it's shipped correctly at least and I'm not sure how you would prove this unless you took pictures of everything you sold. I mean they charge enough to sell things as it is.

Personally i would ask for a photo to prove it (if you don't like asking just say you want it so you have something to show the post office). If they send it then offer 50% refund as it is neither yours or their fault. If they don't accept it offer a full refund but only issue it when you have received the record back.

yea I always say I'm not responsible for items damaged during shipping, I always offer insurance if they want to pay for it. if not, I'm covered.

I sold a print last year, and the poster tube got stepped on or something, and the guy was all bummed, but I told him he didn't pay for insurance, so there was little I could do.

ask for a picture for proof that it is cracked. he could just be a dick trying to rip you off.

whos to say that the person won't just switch out the original for a cracked one and say that is how it was recieved?

i doubt someone who is trying to score a record for free would go buy another copy of the same record and intentionally break it. totally defeats the point.

whos to say that the person won't just switch out the original for a cracked one and say that is how it was recieved?

i doubt someone who is trying to score a record for free would go buy another copy of the same record and intentionally break it. totally defeats the point.

im talking variations, matrix #'s, slight differences, different pressings, a lot of records look the same

im probably over thinking this whole thig, but there are a lot of assholes out there

ask for a picture for proof that it is cracked. he could just be a dick trying to rip you off.

if thats the case i would make sure the buyer puts the package in the picture.

if it was sent in prestine shape and got cracked im sure the shipping container is some kinda fucked up.

• 2 weeks later...
eBay is starting to bug me now.

I have 'No International Shipping" selected, and the page says "Ships to: United States"

yet someone from Germany just purchased two of my items.

You can cancel their bids and list the reason as that you don't ship outside the U.S. and the buyer is from Germany.

I've done it a few times before I learned how to block them.

There is a way for you as a seller to adjust your settings so that anyone w/ a registered account outside of the U.S. (it can get country-specific) will be blocked from bidding on your listings. As long as when you sell, the particular item(s) is set to U.S.-only, International bidders won't be able to bid.

In my experience someone wont try to scam you on a cracked record unless its really cracked. What good is a cracked record to someone? Just ask for a photo of it to see how bad the damage is. If they got a photo of your record cracked, then its post office fault. id explain that to the buyer you dont take returns, but you understand the shittiness of it and offer a partial refund. I wouldnt even do half unless they throw a fit about it.