ATTN SCOTT!!! RE: AP DRAMA!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring dante back, this richard character is an asshole.

C'mon, let's be honest both people made unnecessarily insulting remarks to each other over nothing. No one comes off looking good and over what? Silliness.

True dat. And I was more busting your chops than anything. For me, not sure its the place of the Editor-in-Chief of a major music publication to single out any artist out of the blue for no reason.

I let my subscirption to A.P. lapse about a year ago. Like flood, I just can't relate or be into 99% of the bands and most music featured. Plus it seems that every other page is an ad for Skelanimals, Hot Topic, Some shitty crunk-core band, etc.

BUT...I will not deny the relevance or importance that A.P. does have on its targetted reader demographic. If the kids are into the type of music, I guess the magazine will print it.

I had a one year subscription back in 07, via the warped tour ticket deal they were running. the first few issues were fairly interesting reads, but as the year went on, i felt myself becoming more and more uninterested in the material.

I have a subscription to AP but for a variety of reasons, I haven't touched any of them since they showed up. I got it because I find an article here and there I'd like to read, so for the price of buying 3 a year at the store I can have them just show up. Plus I do have a 16yr old sister who could probably enjoy them.

But I realized that in my free time I'd rather read about Shia-Sunni relations, books set in the late 1800s for some reason, or something historical than a music magazine. Nothing directly against AP.

Guest kylewilliam

AP is an important step into alternative culture for a lot of people. Sure, a bunch of the music that is covered isn't what this board directly likes, but it caters to the younger crowd. I think of it much like I do Hot Topic... when I was a kid, HT was huge for me to have living in the weird suburbs, it helped me learn more and more about bands that weren't on the radio. i got my first converge shirt from Hot Topic, and heard of Black Flag for the first time from a person working behind the counter.

AP was much the same, between the oral histories and the bands you need to know, I learned about a lot of different bands I would have never known...and hell, If i had not listened to Norma Jean from reading about them, I would have never listened to Botch... who is way fucking better.

Guest naytoid

Jason Pettigrew just complimented my Twitter avatar, so he's fine by me. On the other hand, I haven't heard anything from Tom Gabel, so, fuck him.

There's my view on the squabble.

Oh and AP isn't as bad as people like to make out.

I was reading Spin last night and they have a second with songs you must hear right now. How incredible would it be to be reading that and just click play. It'd be like reading a blog, but with actual legit content!

Album reviews with links to Lala (Soon to be iTunes I guess) like what Pitchfork does?!?! WOWZA

Could help make music videos relevant again too.

Guest errolwest
Norma Jean from reading about them, I would have never listened to Botch... who is way fucking better.

QFT. botch is the band that got me into hardcore! /there was a point in time where i had learnt 90%we are the romans and american nervoso on guitar. someone should start a tributte band with me...

hahaha

Remember when AP used to be all about shitty nu-metal bands and would put stuff like Korn and Limp Bizkit on the cover? That says enough there. AP goes for what is popular at the time. AP started the shit, and then got pissed that Tom said something back.

There's no one pissed over here. We thought Tom's response was funny because of how utterly generic and unoriginal it was. "No talent hack"? Really? That's the best a professional songwriter can come up with?