• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would pay off my college

buy a new computer

put a down payment on a car

buy my parents a new car and a really nice vacation

give my dad a years worth of massages to help his back

donate money to my friends who are running the chicago half marathon

but everything i will need for my future classroom ( i wana be a teacher)

buy a few realllllllllly nice steaks and grill out w/ my buds

get a bud select keg for my buddies and I

buy my gf some sweet gifts

get me and her an Iphone

off the top of my head

Student loans/debt. And going back to get my teaching degree.

Buy my parents and my grandparents houses.

Pay for college for my brother and two younger cousins.

Buy myself a punk house...or two in a couple of my favorite cities.

Travel the world.

Seek all the medical attention I need (dentist, knee rehabilitation).

Invest a lot of it into educational endeavors for my children that I'd eventually like to have or adopt.

Other than that, material shit, it's nice but I don't need it. I wouldn't even know what else to get.

If i won a stack of cash i would make sure my close family and friends were sorted. Then i would set up a PO BOX to receive records, stick my vinyl collection and a few personal things in storage, Give the rest of my stuff away and then pack a bag with a few essentials and fuck off, roam around the world a bit.

I would definitely set up a label.

If i got bored of flying around the world i would buy an old VW camper, fix it up good, stock it with cake, beer and great tunes and go wandering again.

Also i would probably lose a lot of it playing poker!

Edit:

How did i forget to include a load more tattoos?

after taking care of college and all that stuff i'd probably buy up a warehouse and turn it into a venue/coffee shop/record store/art gallery in one part and in the other would be a place where disadvantaged kids could learn how to express themselves by way of words, art and music. probably would just start up some non-profits like that in a couple cities.

i'd buy a house in new england somewhere

other than that i can't really see myself needing anything

i would open my own venue. i would find a building (hopefully an old one with some history to it) that is built in a way that the acoustics would be good for live music. i would get really great recording equipment (both audio and video) and we would record every show. i would press limited quantities of vinyl and DVDs from every show. when you are at the show, you'd be able to sign your name and pay 7 bucks and you would get a copy. there would be a subscription series, though, in case you live across the country and i get your favorite band to play there or something.

bands would all want to play at my venue because (since money is no object for me) i would pay them all really well. tickets would only be $7 each so nobody would ever be able to say "i really wanted to go to that show last week, but i couldn't justify the ticket prices." and tickets would all go on sale 7 hours before the show starts so assholes can't buy 8 tickets and then sell them on eBay for 5x face value. if a show doesn't sell out, oh well, money is no object.

i would get a bunch of great artists to play, but i would make sure there's a local band on every bill. there would be no barracade between the band and the crowd. you'd be allowed to bring in any kind of camera or videocamera you wanted. we would have a website set up that users could submit their pictures/videos that they took from each show, and the best ones would be included on the DVD or the vinyl from the accompanying concert.

i think that's all the ideas i have for now. i'm sure i'll think of some later.

I'd buiy all of the limited nofx records that come up on eBay, trade/sale threads and stuff

And make collecting NOFX even harder for other people

muahahahaha

Maybe film yourself smashing each one, with a little count /499 (-1)?

A. It will make it harder as per your post

B. It will Drastically increase the value of everyone else's NOFX collection.

Imagine sending a $400+, 1/1 record to "willitblend.com". I think it would be strangely satisfying.

I would open a book store. Not a Barnes or any of that shit. A real one. With real books.

As I picture it, would be something like what Winston Churchill's study would have looked like had he been American and lived in New Orleans. I'd have a burgundy leather wing back chair with brass rivets and a matching ottoman in the corner. I'd have a cappuccino machine for me, but graciously share with my guests whom I would limit to no more than a handful in the store at any given time. Intimacy is everything. I'd have a wine refrigerator and a bottle of single malt in the office, glasses for two, and smoke a cigar openly if I felt like it. I'd play jazz and classical LPs in between Morning Edition and All Things Considered. I wouldn't advertise. I wouldn't join the Chamber of Commerce. I'd just be open.

And I'd read. All day. Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. Saturdays Noon to 4:00. The rest of my time would be spent much as it is now. Perhaps a little more comfortably.

I'd invest in the people I know and trust. The people I love. Everyone has an idea like mine -- where there's still a "work week" involved, but without the consequences. I'd want the people I care about to have that same opportunity and be able to experience the same freedoms that came with it.

Yeah.

/lj

I'd get out of debt, invest in my business, move back to NYC, get my dream hifi system (full on Naim gear and a P9), anonymously donate generous sums to A-Space, Wooden Shoe Bookstore and the Mazzoni Health Center, complete my Blue Note collection, buy a real espresso machine, get all my close friends set up in the living situation they want, invest in algae biodiesel, get another van (running biodiesel) and set it up to travel North America for a year with my partner in crime, buy a gym membership and a personal trainer to help with my chronic pain/nerve damage, buy my dog the best organic food available, buy my dad his 1966 big-block Corvette back, get late 60's muscle car to work on with my dad and build us a fully loaded garage in which to work, pay off Amy's student loans and build her a recording studio, buy a ton of books and records, get more tattoos, and last but not least, solve world hunger and bring about world peace.

I'd quit the job (obviously), and then with my free time...

Get a Ph.D in American history,

Learn to play the drums really well,

Travel to: Iceland, Turkey/Greece, Tunisia, Russia, Japan, New Zealand/Australia, South America, & Southeast Asia,

and buy a nice small house in the mountains somewhere replete with a sound system chosen by Mattstrike.

Guest chappy5

I'd pay off my debt, invest, hook the family up, buy a house with a music studio, indoor pool, and helicopter pad for my helicopter. If only it were true.

after taking care of college and all that stuff i'd probably buy up a warehouse and turn it into a venue/coffee shop/record store/art gallery in one part and in the other would be a place where disadvantaged kids could learn how to express themselves by way of words, art and music. probably would just start up some non-profits like that in a couple cities.

i'd buy a house in new england somewhere

other than that i can't really see myself needing anything

That's always been a dream of mine. You couldn't have said it better.

So yeah. Natalie Portman and this business venture.

Be completely ecstatic.

Hire a lawyer to sort things out.

Buy a few people some expensive gifts, get out of debt.

Find some place comfortable to live.

Convince myself that I'm still the same person and that, aside from some creature comforts, things can stay relatively the same.

Try to keep working so that I stay humble, but be forced to quit when things get weird.

Become disillusioned with the nonstop parade of moneyseekers and hangers on.

Start to resent extended family members and people I haven't talked to in years begging me for money and favors.

Nurture a growing distrust with the people closest to me, ending in a bitter divorce.

Seek acceptance among people in my new tax-bracket and de facto social circle, but be roundly rejected as nouveau riche.

Become increasingly delusional and reclusive.

Ignore phone calls from my accountant telling me there's a problem.

Move somewhere by myself in a vain attempt to start over.

Attempt to reconcile relationships, and end up committing suicide in my apartment when I realize not only is the money gone, but all the people important to me now resent me too much to ever trust me again.

Laugh in my grave as they all talk about what a great guy I was before the money changed me.