overpriced record stores

Now we're all part of a small minority of people that still buy music and support records stores. I know each of us has encountered a store in our lives where shit has been priced so outrageous that despite whatever awesome selection they have, it's impossible to support them.

My example....Shore Things on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ. These guys are the biggest crooks I have ever seen in my life. They price USED cd's at 8.99 regardless of what it is, and NEW start at around 16.99. Now to the vinyl. Take your average No Idea release...basically an 8 dollar lp plus the shipping costs. This store marks them to 16.99 per lp....the highest I have ever seen. They were selling a copy of Greased by Less Than Jake for 23.99!!! Used vinyl starts at 10 bucks....for old beat up piece of shit records. It blows my mind how they do this, despite having a lot of stuff I would buy if it was reasonable.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's on the boardwalk in OCNJ. i don't think anything more needs to be said about it.

Nope. There was a Tunes on the boardwalk that had everything priced low as shit like the other Tunes throughout NJ. There is also a record store called Toilet Water about 2 blocks off the boards that carry basically the same selection and price everything maybe a buck over what you pay online. Shore Things just suck

when i used to live in quebec city, i ask a record store how much it would cost to order the new shai hulud lp. i got a call a week later and they told me that my record had arrived, 55$.. lolz. no need to tell that i didn't buy it, the guy seemed pretty mad but first i didn't ask him to order it, i asked him how muh it woud cost to order it..anyways yeah, that record store had so many overpriced records, it made me laugh more than anything else really

it's on the boardwalk in OCNJ. i don't think anything more needs to be said about it.

Nope. There was a Tunes on the boardwalk that had everything priced low as shit like the other Tunes throughout NJ. There is also a record store called Toilet Water about 2 blocks off the boards that carry basically the same selection and price everything maybe a buck over what you pay online. Shore Things just suck

OCNJ = pretty cruddy. especially compared to other area beaches/boardwalks. when someone mentions something crappy along the jersey shore, it should never elicit surprise.

Dave's Records in Chicago is an...interesting place. One week I went in and found a bunch of rad stuff super cheap (not one thing over $10) and the next time I was there anything I was halfway interested in was super overpriced. It's worth picking over the used section but it seems like his new stuff is always priced way higher than it should be.

I've seen many record stores in Canada that charge very much for LPs. I know the cost for importing stuff can go up a bit but almost everytime it's cheaper to buy it from the US yourself. For exemple, the local record store has NOFX lps for $20 ~ $22 each. It cost less to import them directly from FAT one by one (around $15 each, shipping included) so they are really overpriced. How can I support someone that I feel is trying to rip me off?

At least, the used section is sometime decent when it comes to old rock records.

not as annoying as places that don't price anything, and then look up the records online for prices when you try to buy them... that just makes my head explode.

there was a store i went to in Maryland once that did this, dude would check popsike and then ask for the highest price listed.

no dude.

no.

I've seen many record stores in Canada that charge very much for LPs. I know the cost for importing stuff can go up a bit but almost everytime it's cheaper to buy it from the US yourself. For exemple, the local record store has NOFX lps for $20 ~ $22 each. It cost less to import them directly from FAT one by one (around $15 each, shipping included) so they are really overpriced. How can I support someone that I feel is trying to rip me off?

At least, the used section is sometime decent when it comes to old rock records.

most record stores mark up new product 30-40% as they're a store and need to make a profit to stay open, so that would be in line with the costs being $20-22

Stores are a for-profit business, they need to cover all expenses and get paid on top of it.

Now we're all part of a small minority of people that still buy music and support records stores. I know each of us has encountered a store in our lives where shit has been priced so outrageous that despite whatever awesome selection they have, it's impossible to support them.

My example....Shore Things on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ. These guys are the biggest crooks I have ever seen in my life. They price USED cd's at 8.99 regardless of what it is, and NEW start at around 16.99. Now to the vinyl. Take your average No Idea release...basically an 8 dollar lp plus the shipping costs. This store marks them to 16.99 per lp....the highest I have ever seen. They were selling a copy of Greased by Less Than Jake for 23.99!!! Used vinyl starts at 10 bucks....for old beat up piece of shit records. It blows my mind how they do this, despite having a lot of stuff I would buy if it was reasonable.

is this place like in the back of a normal boardwalk beach store? i remember going to a store back in like 2000-2001 and buying a bunch of CD's and a Gorilla Biscuits hoodie while on vacation.

Mailorder.

Support labels directly whenever possible.

It's the best ever.

^I do this almost always for new releases. I rarely ever even browse the new releases in record stores. It's all about the used selection.

While some might not consider it "overpriced", one of my pet peaves is record stores who price all thier 7"s at $5 or more. As someone who loves to stock up on dollar bin fodder it bugs me when that is not an option. Long In The Tooth in Philly is an example of this. They have a great store, but no dirt cheap 7"s.

I've never been to a store that doesn't price the records until you take them to the counter. I would be pissed if I spent hours going through a store only for them to ask top dollar for everything.

is this place like in the back of a normal boardwalk beach store? i remember going to a store back in like 2000-2001 and buying a bunch of CD's and a Gorilla Biscuits hoodie while on vacation.

that would be it.

Hold Fast on crooks ave in Asbury Park, NJ. Very fair and resonable prices. Plus he's really good at finding stuff for customers as well.

I back this statement. Joe that runs the shop is cool as hell usually if you buy a couple records he knocks a chunk off the price. Found some rare stuff through him.